270soft Forum

Biden picks VP in a Week

Biden Picks His VP in a Week  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Biden Picks his VP, who will likely be the next VP of the US, next week. Who do you think he will pick? ***[Note: Do not pick who you hope he picks, unless you think that person is also who he will pick.]***

• Sen. Kamala Harris - CA
    • Sen. Elizabeth Warren - MA
    • Rep. Val Demings - FL
    • Sen. Tammy Duckworth - IL
    • Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham - NM
    • Gov. Gretchen Whitmer - MI
    • Sen. Maggie Hassan - NH
    • Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms - GA
    • Fmr UN Amb Susan Rice - ME
    • Fmr State Rep (and Dem nom for Gov) Stacey Abrams - GA
    • Gov. Gina Raimondo - RI
    • Rep. Karen Bass - CA
    • Sen. Tammy Baldwin - WI
    • Other (Black woman)
    • Other (White woman)
    • Other (woman that is neither black or white)
    • Other (He will do an about face and select a man)
    • *Joke response* Biden will gaffe and accidently select Donald Trump to VP, crush Trump in the election, and then die before his inauguration, ushering in 4 years of Trump as Democrat.
  2. 2. Will Biden's VP pick have any real impact on who wins or loses the election?

3. 3. What do you think Biden's chances are for defeating Trump for reelection in 2020?

• 100% (guaranteed Biden)
    • 90% (safe Biden)
    • 80% (strong Biden)
    • 70% (likely Biden)
    • 60% (lean Biden)
    • 50% (total toss up)
    • 40% (lean Trump)
    • 30% (likely Trump)
    • 20% (strong Trump)
    • 10% (safe Trump)
    • 0% (guaranteed Trump
  4. 4. How excited are you about voting in the 2020 election?

• Very excited
    • Excited
    • Somewhat excited
    • Neither excited or unexcited
    • Somewhat unexcited
    • Unexcited
    • Very unexcited

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, for the reasons you said.  This isn’t a guarantee, of course, I’m not from the future. But I reached this map by making two assumptions: 1) That every state that isn’t already at least

Because we're the idiots that nominate fools like Trump!

I only picked the joke response, because honestly, I have no idea who he's going to pick. But I can tell you, whoever it is will not help him win.

I think it will be Val Demings -- mainly because Harris seems so obvious a VP pick that he doesn't pick her. I think Demings helps in Florida, she's both black and a woman, and she deflates Trump's Law & Order message somewhat. She won't excite progressives, but I don't think that's possible without picking Warren (my ideal VP choice), but that would result in a Senate loss. 

I voted for Harris. However, my preferred pick from the above list would probably be Sen. Duckworth.

If I were eligible to vote in the US, I had chosen ''very excited''.

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think it will be Val Demings -- mainly because Harris seems so obvious a VP pick that he doesn't pick her. I think Demings helps in Florida, she's both black and a woman, and she deflates Trump's Law & Order message somewhat. She won't excite progressives, but I don't think that's possible without picking Warren (my ideal VP choice), but that would result in a Senate loss. 

I agree with all of these points.

I would add that I think a 269-269 split is extraordinarily likely, in which case the Representative and Senate votes will be extremely important.  If there was a tie today, Republicans could appoint Trump and Pence as the winners because they control the majority of the states in the House -- one state, one vote.  But ties are actually broken by our NEXT congress, after the 2020 election -- so if we somehow manage to pick up even more house seats (we already picked up the majority of "in play" ones in 2018) then the tie could go in Biden's favor.  Maybe with Pence as his VP, disturbingly enough.

8bd7A.png

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I agree with all of these points.

I would add that I think a 269-269 split is extraordinarily likely, in which case the Representative and Senate votes will be extremely important.  If there was a tie today, Republicans could appoint Trump and Pence as the winners because they control the majority of the states in the House -- one state, one vote.  But ties are actually broken by our NEXT congress, after the 2020 election -- so if we somehow manage to pick up even more house seats (we already picked up the majority of "in play" ones in 2018) then the tie could go in Biden's favor.  Maybe with Pence as his VP, disturbingly enough.

8bd7A.png

The VEEP dream team. Biden-Pence 2020.

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Ha!  I strongly disagree with what Pence stands for, but I would still agree to this just to oust Trump -- if Biden's age wasn't such a concern.

Right. What about the flip side, what about a Trump-Abrams administration? Mm now we're really talkin' hahah

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Seems like a plausible map. Now THAT would be something. 😆

and @Actinguy You can also get that map by having Trump win that district in ME and Biden win that district in NE. I think faithless electors could stop this map or cause other instances in which someone can't get 270 EVs. However, I think faithless electors will be fewer in this election. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

and @Actinguy You can also get that map by having Trump win that district in ME and Biden win that district in NE. I think faithless electors could stop this map or cause other instances in which someone can't get 270 EVs. However, I think faithless electors will be fewer in this election. 

Interesting -- 2016 was actually the year that we had the most faithless electors, I think (on both sides).  At least since Horace Greeley died after the election but before the electoral college gathered to make it official.   There were a total of 7 "successful" faithless electors (5 democrats who refused to vote for Clinton and 2 Republicans who refused Trump), plus more that tried on both sides but were invalidated.  I'd expect that number to be much higher in a 269-269 split -- though the legality of such moves would be questioned.  At bare minimum, we'd be looking at a 2000 style recount and Supreme Court case, but on a much broader scale, as flipping "any" state would give you the win.

31 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

If it isn't Harris, Demings, or Donald Trump, voters on this board will have quite a bit to answer to!

lol! I think Harris is the most likely. But I think her and Demings are less than a 50% chance combined. I think Duckworth has a good shot at a dark horse, Warren still has a chance, as well as a few others (Lance Bottoms, etc.) 

I want it to be Duckworth, but I think it will be Bass