270soft Forum

Just a reminder ...

Just a reminder that, once you turn off the news, life is pretty beautiful ... and it's better to love than hate, better to forgive than begrudge, better to give than take, better to build than give up, better to listen than talk. Be the light, and carry on, keep going, and make your part of the world a bit better. That's all we can do, and that's everything.

Thanks everyone for being here, and for sharing your thoughts, feelings, theories, views. Now get back to work, you lying dog-faced pony soldiers!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Just a reminder that, once you turn off the news, life is pretty beautiful ... and it's better to love than hate, better to forgive than begrudge, better to give than take, better to build than give up, better to listen than talk. Be the light, and carry on, keep going, and make your part of the world a bit better. That's all we can do, and that's everything.

Thanks everyone for being here, and for sharing your thoughts, feelings, theories, views. Now get back to work, you lying dog-faced pony soldiers!

I only watch the news as about as often a day as it used to run in the '80's (if you didn't subscribe to CNN's cable service) - about two or three, at most. And when I do, it's Canadian and/or British news - not the cesspool of opinion-dominated, fire-spitting, vitriolic, extremely low-brow, yellow journalism that passes for "news" in the today - since Walter Cronkite retired, effectively ending professional, respectable, high-brow American journalism.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, pilight said:

Also, most things are not political and most political things are not that important

I like the sentiment, but I disagree with this. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Do you have a transcript, I don't like watching videos 😉

It's an official music video, for a released song by a studio musical band. The song was an amusing response to @vcczar and @pilight's comment. But a definite "touche,"on the response, I suppose.

Getting off of mainstream social media (ie. Facebook, as this technically is a social media forum) was one of the best decisions that I have ever made in life.  Like a bottomless cesspit of negativity.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, CPE said:

Getting off of mainstream social media (ie. Facebook, as this technically is a social media forum) was one of the best decisions that I have ever made in life.  Like a bottomless cesspit of negativity.

I live far from family and my closest friends, so social media is helpful to keep us connected -- especially those of us who have become parents, we actually get to know each other's kids this way. 

But you can't have a "friend everyone" mentality.  I used to have 500+ FB friends -- but I'd spend too much time arguing with people there.  Trimmed it down to about 150 people who I actually felt happy talking to, more often than not.  It greatly improved the experience for me, overall.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

I live far from family and my closest friends, so social media is helpful to keep us connected -- especially those of us who have become parents, we actually get to know each other's kids this way. 

But you can't have a "friend everyone" mentality.  I used to have 500+ FB friends -- but I'd spend too much time arguing with people there.  Trimmed it down to about 150 people who I actually felt happy talking to, more often than not.  It greatly improved the experience for me, overall.

Fair enough, different strokes for different folks in life lol, I used to be the same way, only using it to keep in touch with long-distance alumni/friends/etc.  I later adopted the philosophy that you probably had my phone number or personal email address if you were important enough to me in life, I never kept in touch with half of the people that I had "friended" on there lol.

There is a true saying that you learn the first day in the software development industry : Garbage in, garbage out.  I later realized that this applied to other parts of life as well, including the mind.  You fill your mind with negativity, only negative will appear in your life; fill it with positivity, and positivity will show it self.  Amazing how our minds are impacted by the things we choose to put in them.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, CPE said:

Garbage in, garbage out.  I later realized that this applied to other parts of life as well, including the mind.  You fill your mind with negativity, only negative will appear in your life; fill it with positivity, and positivity will show it self.

Bang.

2 hours ago, CPE said:

Fair enough, different strokes for different folks in life lol, I used to be the same way, only using it to keep in touch with long-distance alumni/friends/etc.  I later adopted the philosophy that you probably had my phone number or personal email address if you were important enough to me in life, I never kept in touch with half of the people that I had "friended" on there lol.

There is a true saying that you learn the first day in the software development industry : Garbage in, garbage out.  I later realized that this applied to other parts of life as well, including the mind.  You fill your mind with negativity, only negative will appear in your life; fill it with positivity, and positivity will show it self.  Amazing how our minds are impacted by the things we choose to put in them.

Eh, I don’t want to talk to people on the phone without purpose though.  Some of these guys were groomsmen in my wedding, but we still don’t call each other just to say hi and check in on how each other’s lives are going.  With a properly curated friends list and settings, it’s a positive — if someone consistently posts things that I think are funny, or interesting, or insightful, I can make sure I get an alert every time they post something.  And if I find that I am consistently annoyed by someone, I can unfriend them or at least prevent myself from seeing their content.