270soft Forum

Elections suspended!?

Wiw

So I read this earlier today - the administration is looking into postponing the election for 6 months to a year. And I believe it's within the President's power to do it. This clearly stinks of a dictatorial power-grab - if there's something in the Consitution that prevents this, I wanna know about it!

9 minutes ago, Wiw said:

So I read this earlier today - the administration is looking into postponing the election for 6 months to a year. And I believe it's within the President's power to do it. This clearly stinks of a dictatorial power-grab - if there's something in the Consitution that prevents this, I wanna know about it!

I've heard nothing about this, and I think his case for doing so is weak when he's encouraging people to go about with masks and wanting everything to reopen. 

13 minutes ago, Wiw said:

It's not within the President's power. Elections are set in frequency in the U.S. Constitution.

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

Trump's term ends in January whether there's been an election or not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

Bud.

You're spending too much time on crazy websites.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wiw said:

The 20th Amendment of the US Constitution states this:

"The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3rd day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin."

So regardless, Trump's term will end on noon January 20th. 

Also, Article 1 states that Congress has the final say when it comes to elections, stated here:

"
The times, places and manner of holding elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each state by the legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by law make or alter such regulations, except as to the places of choosing Senators." (Article 1, Section 4).

And 2 U.S. Code 7 builds off of Congress' powers to regulate elections: 
" The Tuesday next after the 1st Monday in November, in every even numbered year, is established as the day for the election, in each of the States and Territories of the United States, of Representatives and Delegates to the Congress commencing on the 3rd day of January next thereafter."

I include these two parts because they are important. Trump cannot unilaterally state that elections shall be held on the day of his choosing, because this is an even numbered year and Congress already picked a day. 

Now if the Presidential elections were to be postponed, the incoming congressional session(one sworn in on the 3rd of Jan) will have the powers to vote in a new president.With the House choosing the President, and Senate choosing the Vice President.