270soft Forum

Tucker Carlson is rumored to have some GoP donors supporting him.

Tom Cotton has similar rumors.

I could see Mark DeWine try to win back "never-Trumpers"(assuming Biden wins).

Rick Scott has all the money in the world, to mount a presidential bid.

I would have said Gov Abbott prior to the massive outbreak(since he managed to win in the suburban areas of Texas that flipped for Beto), but I am unsure.

I personally feel Ted Cruz might try to run again,in 2024. 

Gov Brian Kemp might try to make an argument for being the party leader.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Tom Cotton has similar rumors.

I could see Mark DeWine try to win back "never-Trumpers"(assuming Biden wins).

Rick Scott has all the money in the world, to mount a presidential bid.

I would have said Gov Abbott prior to the massive outbreak(since he managed to win in the suburban areas of Texas that flipped for Beto), but I am unsure.

I personally feel Ted Cruz might try to run again,in 2024. 

Gov Brian Kemp might try to make an argument for being the party leader.

“Mike” DeWine.  He would be 77, and Republicans are turning strongly against him.

As a resident of his state, I think he’s doing a phenomenal job.  But Republicans are calling him a “RINO” because he doesn’t pretend that the global pandemic is a myth.

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

“Mike” DeWine.  He would be 77, and Republicans are turning strongly against him.

As a resident of his state, I think he’s doing a phenomenal job.  But Republicans are calling him a “RINO” because he doesn’t pretend that the global pandemic is a myth.

Thought he was younger. But yeah I see him not appealing to the right/far-right wing but more to the center-right. 

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

As a resident of his state, I think he’s doing a phenomenal job.

Could you see yourself backing a re-election bid?

16 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Could you see yourself backing a re-election bid?

Yes, actually, I almost certainly would.  That said, he'd be 75 and potentially facing primary challengers over the mask thing.  He might not run.

• Upvote 1

I could see Pence easily getting eliminated in the primaries, I could almost see him only polling at around 8/9%

Right now I think it will be (assuming Trump loses)

-Mike Pence

-Nikki Haley

-Doug Ducey

-Ron Desantis

-One of the Liberal Republicans Larry Hogan,Charlie Baker, or Phil Scott (I think not more than one of them would run-I like Hogan the most)

-Tom Cotton

-Rick Scott

-Brian Kemp

-Ted Cruz

-Mike DeWine 

-Greg Abbot

Tiers of these candidates

1.Ted Cruz,Mike Pence,Nikki Haley (15-23%)

2.Ron Desantis,Tom Cotton (8-14%)

3.Brian Kemp,Rick Scott,Greg Abbot (4-7%)

4.Larry Hogan,,Mike DeWine,Doug Ducey (1-3%)

@vcczar @admin_270 @Conservative Elector 2 @Sunnymentoaddict @Actinguy

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

2 hours ago, jnewt said:

Tucker Carlson

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I could be), but isn't Tucker Carlson just some obnoxious loudmouth who yaps odiously on Fox News? Since I don't watch Fox News (or any other American "news," media - I get my news from more respectable and highbrow sources, the like of which died in the U.S. when Walter Cronkite retired) and I've just logged in this morning and looked it up yet, I'm unsure, but the name sounds familiar as being quoted in that light here and there.

20 minutes ago, Patine said:

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I could be), but isn't Tucker Carlson just some obnoxious loudmouth who yaps odiously on Fox News?

He's certainly obnoxious. Loudmouth probably depends on the subject he's talking about but he typically comes off "level headed" rather than like a "loudmouth" but yes that is indeed the Tucker Carlson that people have been mentioning.

Though I remember when people used to always float around Bill O'Reilly and he'd just say that he had more power than the President. This was of course back in the day when the O'Reilly Factor was the number one cable news show...a lot Tucker Carlson now holds.

Edit: I actually did a quick search and O'Reilly actually said he had more power than anyone BUT the President. 

Edited by SilentLiberty
  • Like 1

@admin_270 I really expect, assuming Trump is soundly defeated, that we will see some currently unknown GOP politicians running for president in 2024, possibly someone that gets to speak at the Convention that is currently running for Senate, US Rep, or Governor or, if a NeverTrump, someone that is a protege of Romney, Flake, Kasich, Corker, Murkowski, Collins, Baker, Hogan, Scott, etc. 

I also expect that we will see about as many non-politicians running for president as we see politicians. I think Trump's biggest legacy will be opening up the possibilties of who should run for president, even if there might be an initial reaction against non-politicians, assuming Trump gets crush in 2020. 

If Trump wins in 2020 and is popular in leaving office in 2024, I see Pence as the frontrunner with some challenges by really ambitious GOPers like Cruz and Haley. 

If Trump wins in 2020 and is even more unpopular in 2024, I think Pence retires. I think Democratic victory will be so assured in this situation--more so than in 2020---that you'll have all their good candidates waiting for 2028. They'll have some lukewarm but likable, compassionate candidate -- like Ben Sasse or something, who will be there primarily to help people forget Trump, but who knows he's likely going to lose. 

Overall, I think 2024 and 2028 are really hard to predict. I think Cruz and Haley are pretty much the most likely candidates to run. Rand Paul might as well. I might make a poll. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@admin_270 I really expect, assuming Trump is soundly defeated, that we will see some currently unknown GOP politicians running for president in 2024, possibly someone that gets to speak at the Convention that is currently running for Senate, US Rep, or Governor or, if a NeverTrump, someone that is a protege of Romney, Flake, Kasich, Corker, Murkowski, Collins, Baker, Hogan, Scott, etc. 

I also expect that we will see about as many non-politicians running for president as we see politicians. I think Trump's biggest legacy will be opening up the possibilties of who should run for president, even if there might be an initial reaction against non-politicians, assuming Trump gets crush in 2020. 

If Trump wins in 2020 and is popular in leaving office in 2024, I see Pence as the frontrunner with some challenges by really ambitious GOPers like Cruz and Haley. 

If Trump wins in 2020 and is even more unpopular in 2024, I think Pence retires. I think Democratic victory will be so assured in this situation--more so than in 2020---that you'll have all their good candidates waiting for 2028. They'll have some lukewarm but likable, compassionate candidate -- like Ben Sasse or something, who will be there primarily to help people forget Trump, but who knows he's likely going to lose. 

Overall, I think 2024 and 2028 are really hard to predict. I think Cruz and Haley are pretty much the most likely candidates to run. Rand Paul might as well. I might make a poll. 

Ben Sasse? Likable and compassionate? The list of things I've read now contains everything.