270soft Forum

8 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Which up and coming Republicans are interesting as possible Presidential candidates in 2024?

For me, as a former Republican who was completely abandoned by the party, it would have to be someone who strongly rejected Trump the entire time.

The Bush Family are the only ones I’m aware of that this really applies to, but of course Jeb! had his chance and is even less relevant now.  Huntsman too.  Kasich will never make headway nationally.  Romney might be the best bet, but I’m never going to choose him over most Democrats.

I considered Barbara Pierce Bush (W’s daughter) but apparently she’s not a registered Republican.  I recall she and her sister Jenna were spotted at a Hillary event in 2016 after Trump got the nomination, which I greatly respect about them.

So the truth is...I don’t know.  It’s hard to imagine some who took a “absolutely not” stance to Trump somehow getting the nomination these days.  They’d also have to be on the correct side of LGBT issues.  I’m not aware of any Republicans in the wings who check my boxes.

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

it would have to be someone who strongly rejected Trump the entire time

Yes, if Trump loses in 2020 someone who distanced themself from Trump might gain an advantage.

I'd like to see the following run (or run again):

• Charlie Baker
  • Larry Hogan
  • Phil Scott
  • Susana Martinez
  • John Kasich
  • Jon Huntsman
  • Bill Weld
  • Megan McCain (if I had to pick a non-politician that has an outside chance of running on name recognition)
  • Basically any Republican that never supported Trump. 

I'd say Tom Cotton is the #1 pick here.

Other than that Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio, Mike Pence, Dan Crenshaw and others who were also named already.

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

She had a world of potential, if she hadn’t joined the Trump administration.

I disagree. She still managed to distance herself from the administration as well as distinguished herself as UN ambassador. :)

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

Pete Ricketts(unfortunately), Donald Trump Jr, Tucker Carlson is being floated around a lot, Tom Cotton, Dan Crenshaw, John James maybe?

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

Gov. Pete Ricketts (NE)

Donald Trump Jr. (son of President)

Tucker Carlson (#1 news show host)

Sen. Tom Cotton (AR)

Rep. Dan Crenshaw (TX)

John James (nominee for Senate, MI)

I'm not sure why Donald Trump, Jr. keeps realistically coming, except as a massive play on the stupidest parts of the masses with last name alone. He brings nothing to the table ideologically, and because Trumpism is NOT an ideology or coherent platform, but style of campaigning and political attitude, vitriol, tenor, response, and public behaviour - a sub-style of pure populism rather than anything meaningful as a set of consistent socio-political policy or belief, and it's one VERY few can pull off, other than Trump - and CERTAINLY none of his children or children-in-law, Donald Trump, Jr. would not be a meaningful heir-apparent to Trumpism, either. He would be bland, but immoral and grubbing, political lump of nothing of value in a campaign hiding behind his toxic last name. Like when Mputo Sese-Seko's son went back to the DRC from Ghana, where his father had died in exile, to run against Joseph Kabila - he had no platform of his own, and got below 1% of the popular vote, even doing poorly in his father's own home regions of the country where had been popular.

Tom Cotton most definitely won't be the nominee, the party will coalesce around someone with bipartisan and independent support.

I believe DeSantis approval will recover following the COVID-19 health crisis as he improves the economy in Florida. He would be one of the most popular governors in the USA right now if not for COVID-19 which has really made him look a fool. He would run away with the nomination if given the chance. I think in terms of outside support, maybe Charlie Baker or Larry Hogan? Both will be at a decent age and are very popular in Democratic states and are moderates that honestly in some cases (sick-leave) can make Democrats look bad, which is what the GOP needs. 

It just depends on how the party leadership wants to approach the results of 2020 if Trump loses, depends on if its a landslide or not.

• Upvote 1

Gov. Phil Scott (VT)

Fmr. Gov. Susan Martinez (NM)

Fmr. Gov. John Kasich (OH)

Fmr. Amb. Jon Huntsman (Russia, China, Singapore, Fmr. Gov. UT)

Fmr. Gov. Bill Weld (MA)

Megan McCain (talk show co-host)

5 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Gov. Doug Ducey (AZ)

Fmr. Amb. Nikki Haley (U.N., Fmr. Gov. SC)

Sen. Lindsey Graham (SC)

Sen. Marco Rubio (FL)

VP Mike Pence

I'm doubting Pence will be a big player. He's the most do-noting VP in the U.S. since Dan Quayle, and I his imagine his post-Trump political prospects for top office will be about as bleak, in the end. Almost every time he appears on camera as VP, he's standing grimly, stoically, and silently behind Trump with the look on his face that there are 10 000 places he'd RATHER be at that time that at a Presidential event being embarrassed by Trump's carrying on.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm doubting Pence will be a big player. He's the most do-noting VP in the U.S. since Dan Quayle, and I his imagine his post-Trump political prospects for top office will be about as bleak, in the end. Almost every time he appears on camera as VP, he's standing grimly, stoically, and silently behind Trump with the look on his face that there are 10 000 places he'd RATHER be at that time that at a Presidential event being embarrassed by Trump's carrying on.

This is true but ex-vice presidents are always to be considered when it comes to future presidential runs.

36 minutes ago, wolves said:

This is true but ex-vice presidents are always to be considered when it comes to future presidential runs.

Maybe.  A sitting Vice President hasn’t even bothered running in 20 years, and only one has won in the past 178 years.

59 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Maybe.  A sitting Vice President hasn’t even bothered running in 20 years, and only one has won in the past 178 years.

20 years does make it seem like a long time, until I realize it is only three presidents. You're right though, a sitting vice president hasn't ran in a long time but former vice presidents do run quite regularly. I think its obvious why Cheney didn't run so I can't necessarily blame him anyway.

11 hours ago, admin_270 said:

John James (nominee for Senate, MI)

On paper he is a terrific candidate(military service, private business experience). However, I feel if he doesn't win this Senate race, his career is done for. If he were to win the race, I am sure the National GoP, will elevate him a la Rubio after his win back in 2010.