270soft Forum

Bill Weld withdraws from Presidential race after health scares, plans to support the Libertarian nominee

In a video today, the former Governor of Massachusetts announced his withdrawal from the Libertarian nomination.

"I plan to support our nominee in November whoever that may be. Thank you all for your support."

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

September 15th Race and Polling Updates: Race updates: The most important piece of news coming out of this week was the possible launch of a candidacy for President from Representative Dan Crensh

Meta: I am alive! I am sorry for all of the delays which occurred over the past couple of days. As I mentioned, I was busy during this period, though I did not expect to be pulled away from this RP in

Cenk Uygur confirms rumors about a presidential run, announces Cenk 2024 with the slogan "The Home of Progressives"  on a livestream of The Young Turks.   "Alright, so as you guys probably k

Posted Images

DMR: Rand Paul meets voters in Council Bluffs, Iowa with State Sen. Dan Dawson

Senator Rand Paul has canvassed personally in Council Bluffs, Iowa today with State Senator Dan Dawson from the 8th District, which is Council Bluffs is within. Council Bluffs, on the border with Omaha, Nebraska is a target region for senator Rand Paul who reportedly, according to sources from his camp, began to transition towards targeting more conservative and libertarian rural voters rather than moderate suburb voters in the cities who he believes will fall to either Paul Ryan or Dan Crenshaw, if the latter decides to run. Paul's camp has not given up on the cities though as evidenced by his recent rallies in Sioux City and De Moines and an insider has told us he is attempting to target both sections of the party's base with a special focus on the more rural areas of the state. Alongside his canvassing, the Paul campaign has put out a small newspaper advertisement to run in Council Bluffs local newspapers and adjacent areas which highlights the dangers of a Schilling presidency and more Democratic dominance in legislative elections.

Paul and Dawson canvassing and took questions from voters for a total of five hours whilst it was snowing in Council Bluffs, Dawson's endorsement of Paul came out very strongly as he worked with the campaign to spread its message in Iowa with Paul expressing a possibility for Dawson to take a larger role in Paul's campaign if his responsibilities allow it. At one point in the evening, Paul got into a heated debate with a young moderate Democrat who said she was considering voting for Paul Ryan to stop his "radical plan" to destroy "what makes this country great" which Paul scorned back with "You know what makes this country great? The first amendment? Do you know who endorsed jailing flag burners? You know what also makes this country great? The fact that we are the biggest power in this world. China, Russia and the EU are all giggling at us while our deficit increases, our debts raise and we cannot recover from a recession they all steadily recovered from a while ago. Do you know who, despite promising with all his heart to not allow it to happen, let the deficit increase substantially whilst the speaker of the House? Yes, exactly. Vote for someone fiscally conservative for a change who actually has a history of caring about what is in your pocket."

We were also able to ask Senator Paul about the latest developments in the race on both the GOP and Libertarian party side, he said he respected Bill Weld for dropping out and his lifelong commitment to "common-sense politics" and hopes his supporters will go for the real unity candidate, when asked about the Steve King endorsement of Curt Schilling, Rand Paul laughed and said "I am not surprised that a racist has decided to endorse another racist. I would never accept the endorsement of a man who said racial profiling was necessary. I can't imagine Mr. Schilling thinks THAT is a good representation of our party."

Cenk Uygur holds a rally in Manchester, New Hampshire about the "you can't pay for that" argument.

"Hello Manchester! A great city in the important state of New Hampshire, you guys are first now! Great is it not? Anyway, as I unveil our platform for a better America for all there will always, and I mean always, be this one question. This question will be asked many times. It has been an normal attack on progressives to try and put us in a corner. I will always fight and this campaign will be aggressive later on. You guys might know what I am talking about which in that case good job! But if you still don't, ahem "How will it be paid for?", "you can't pay for that!", and there are other versions of it but you guys know what I am getting at. Ever since progressive ideals have been put forward they ask it all the time! It's annoying to me and I imagine every progressive in the media. If we couldn't pay for it then we would we put things like Medicare-for-all on the table. It is possible and we can make it happen with a blue congress."

"What we do to make sure that we are able to pay for it is to have the rich and the big corporations pay their fair share! This means a annual tax on the 1%, making sure we fight tax evasion/fraud, a higher tax rate on the corporations, taxing Wall Street speculation. and more that I won't get into. All in all a tax aimed at the extreme wealthy and the big corporations will give us the billions if not trillion we need to pay for our programs. This does not include other taxes and a reduction on military spending. We need to curb the gross disparity of wealth in America and our tax plan will end up giving back to the poor and regular working class people trying to make a living. Yes I just put out our tax plan but this is meant to just give an honest answer to a question we will for sure get asked.I am prepared and ready to answer this if the need arises."

"America today is in shambles, eight years of Trump has been disastrous and you can see for yourselves the damage that he has caused. It has also become clear that establishment, moderate politics do not work anymore! We need bold, progressive action in America. Even if i do become president, I will probably not be able to fully reverse the damage that has been done, but I will work my hardest to get America back on its feet here and abroad! This is the mission of Cenk 2024, The Home of Progressives.

The last turn has ended and the new one has started. Polling will be out in the afternoon.

Ralph Northam decided to end his 2020 campaign

Ralph Northam announced via social media today, that he has decided to end his campaign, and that he would not be making an endorsement at the time. 

3 hours ago, MishFox said:

Ralph Northam decided to end his 2020 campaign

Ralph Northam announced via social media today, that he has decided to end his campaign, and that he would not be making an endorsement at the time. 

(Just because I haven't been able to release polling yet I'll count your suspension as having happened during the last turn to factor it into polling.)

September 22nd Race and Polling Updates:

Race updates: This week brought the very first dropouts of the campaign season, with both Bill Weld and Ralph Northam dropping out from their respective races. This week also brought the entrance of two candidates on the Democratic side, with both Kamala Harris and Joe Kennedy making quite the splash as they announced their candidacies. Meanwhile, AOC and Cuomo both appear to be MIA, causing chaos in Democratic ranks, as establishment donors rush to back the bids of Kennedy and Kamala, and as progressives begin to consider the bid of one Cenk Uygur. Cenk, though unlikely(Very unlikely) to win the primary, has continued to rise as the grassroots of the left-wing of the Democratic Party and online left-wing spaces continue to rally support around him. His rise also coincides with the rise of one Marianne Williamson, who is rising with similar support, though more slowly, and even more unlikely to energize the party around her bid. On the Libertarian side, Bill Weld's sad, sad departure(Weld 2028!) has left many of his voters now faced with a difficult choice. Weld's message attracted many independents and moderates who were not attracted to harder Libertarianism. As such, now facing a choice between Amash and Rand Paul, though many are rallying around Paul, more than a few are undecided as it stands. On the Republican side, Paul Ryan has gone MIA from the trail, and Rand Paul is continuing his rise, this time with gains in Iowa exciting the media. Curt Shilling is also continuing his rise as he gathers up Trump's base, all the while Kanye continues his fall, as he has remained silent for weeks. For the General, the LP is strengthened by the strength of their 2 candidates, while the Democrats find resolve as Kamala and Keneddy reinvigorate discussion around the party.

Polling Data: Democratic Field:

Governor Andrew Cuomo: 24% 

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez: 16%

Senator Joe Kennedy III: 15%

Senator Kamala Harris: 10%

Cenk Uygur: 7% 

Marianne Williamson: 4%

Undecided: 24%

Polling Data: Democratic Field - New Hampshire : 

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez: 22%

Governor Andrew Cuomo: 20%

Senator Joe Kennedy III: 19%

Senator Kamala Harris: 7%

Marianne Williamson: 7%

Cenk Uygur: 7% 

Undecided: 18%

Polling Data: Democratic Field - Nevada :

Governor Andrew Cuomo: 25%

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez: 24%

Senator Joe Kennedy III: 14%

Senator Kamala Harris: 11%

Cenk Uygur: 6% 

Marianne Williamson: 4%

Undecided: 16%

Polling Data: Libertarian Field Version 1: Polling Among Registered Party Members:  

Former Congressman Justin Amash: 51%

Senator Rand Paul: 37%

Undecided: 12%

Polling Date: Libertarian Field Version 2: LNC Delegate Poll:

Justin Amash: 46% 

Senator Rand Paul: 40%

Undecided: 14%

Polling Data: Republican Field:  

Curt Shilling: 15%

Former Congressman Paul Ryan: 14%

Kanye West: 10%

Dan Crenshaw: 10%

Senator Rand Paul 8%

Undecided: 43%  

Polling Data: Republican Field - Iowa:  

Former Congressman Paul Ryan: 15%

Dan Crenshaw: 15%

Curt Shilling: 14%

Kanye West: 13%

Senator Rand Paul 10%

Undecided: 33%  

Polling Data: Republican Field - New Hampshire: 

Curt Shilling: 15%

Former Congressman Paul Ryan: 14%

Kanye West: 11%

Dan Crenshaw: 7%

Senator Rand Paul 6%

Undecided: 47%  

General Election Polling(Generic Ballot):  

Democrats: 44%  

Republicans: 34%  

Libertarians: 15%  

Undecided: 7%

Rand Paul runs scathing TV ads targeting Paul Ryan and Curt Schilling in Iowa! Taxes and ecology a focal point of campaign.

A new series of TV ads have arrived to Iowan televisions this weekend as Senator Rand Paul has begun running state-wide attack advertisements targeting Paul Ryan and Curt Schilling. Rand Paul, who has made ecology and taxes important issues in his campaign, has also made them the center point of these attack ads, hitting Paul Ryan on the fact he wanted tax cuts for the petroleum industry, his belief that climate change is fake and isn't real and that he supported drawing back tax credits for environmentally friendly firms, a stance that the Rand Paul campaign has taken quite seriously, supporting the notion that tax credits and tax cuts to renewable energy industries will create jobs and spur creativity and production of clean energy. A second series of ads targeted at Paul Ryan compared his record to Senator Paul's, saying how Paul Ryan says he supports less spending, less debt and less taxes but all of the three increased while he was the speaker of the house, how Paul Ryan failed as a speaker of the house but for some reason thinks he will be a good president and how Rand Paul has ALWAYS stuck up for his constituents and will do even better as president.

The ads against Curt Schilling focused less on arguments about policy and more attacked Curt Schilling directly, saying he hides behind Trump's shadow and has no real policies and that he will doom this nation whilst comparing him to Rand Paul who will bring "integrity and honesty back to politics."

Rand Paul's latest focus on the environment and his attempts to move his wing of the Republican party to a more environmentally friendly stance is an attempt to court younger Republican voters who support more green policies than the older Republicans. 

Paul Ryan's Campaign Ends

Paul Ryan announced today that he will be withdrawing from the Republican Primary race. Ryan's campaign really never took off and he was erratic on the campaign trail. 

"I have realized 2024 is not my time, it is not my year. Thank you and God Bless America."

Mitt Romney launches exploratory committee for the Republican nomination

Today, Mitt Romney launched a exploratory committee for president.

"I think our country is a raw time, and we need a steady hand, a experienced hand, a calm hand for president."

40 minutes ago, buenoboss said:

Paul Ryan's Campaign Ends

Paul Ryan announced today that he will be withdrawing from the Republican Primary race. Ryan's campaign really never took off and he was erratic on the campaign trail. 

"I have realized 2024 is not my time, it is not my year. Thank you and God Bless America."

Mitt Romney launches exploratory committee for the Republican nomination

Today, Mitt Romney launched a exploratory committee for president.

"I think our country is a raw time, and we need a steady hand, a experienced hand, a calm hand for president."

77 year old Mitt Romney has entered the race! 

• 2 weeks later...

@BetOnBeto @Hestia11 @Reagan04 @Cenzonico @BeetleJuice @Nentomat @WVProgressive   @buenoboss @TheMiddlePolitical @Herbert Hoover @wolves @Rodja  

I understand if any of you have had time restraints or a loss of interest, and if so, please notify me as such, and I want to use this ping to determine if people are willing to continue this RP or not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 1:00 AM, The Blood said:

@BetOnBeto @Hestia11 @Reagan04 @Cenzonico @BeetleJuice @Nentomat @WVProgressive   @buenoboss @TheMiddlePolitical @Herbert Hoover @wolves @Rodja  

I understand if any of you have had time restraints or a loss of interest, and if so, please notify me as such, and I want to use this ping to determine if people are willing to continue this RP or not.

I could continue. I didn't have internet for a month as I was out of town. I am back now though.