270soft Forum

What are Trump's Accomplishments?

Considering what have been considered accomplishments for US Presidents, what do you think are Trump's MAJOR HISTORICAL accomplishment during his presidency? What about his accomplishment would remain in a textbook 50 years from now, for instance? Note: Accomplishment can also mean a bad accomplishment---you need not agree with the policy. 

• What is his major domestic non-economic, non-judicial accomplishment?
  • What is his major judicial accomplishment?
  • What is his major economic accomplishment?
  • What is his major foriegn policy non-military accomplishment?
  • What is his major military accomplishment?

Which of the above is likely to be in a text book 50 years from now? 

Aside from accomplishments, what three things do you think textbooks will mention about Trump in 50 years?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Major domestic non-economic, non-judicial accomplishment:  Avoiding conviction in the Senate, and more generally somehow keeping the Republican Senate goosestepping behind him even as he abandons most

Major impact on federal judiciary, including at this point 2 Supreme Court Justices, 25% of circuit court justices Established Space Force Major tax reform Major regulatory reform

Some of these won't be remembered in textbooks. Space Force could be big, but we will see. Tax reform and regulatory likely won't be. I doubt they last. Not significant enough for a textbook, except o

Just now, vcczar said:

Considering what have been considered accomplishments for US Presidents, what do you think are Trump's MAJOR HISTORICAL accomplishment during his presidency? What about his accomplishment would remain in a textbook 50 years from now, for instance? Note: Accomplishment can also mean a bad accomplishment---you need not agree with the policy. 

• What is his major domestic non-economic, non-judicial accomplishment?
  • What is his major judicial accomplishment?
  • What is his major economic accomplishment?
  • What is his major foriegn policy non-military accomplishment?
  • What is his major military accomplishment?

Which of the above is likely to be in a text book 50 years from now? 

Aside from accomplishments, what three things do you think textbooks will mention about Trump in 50 years?

Major domestic non-economic, non-judicial accomplishment:  Avoiding conviction in the Senate, and more generally somehow keeping the Republican Senate goosestepping behind him even as he abandons most of the things they claimed to believe in.

Major Judicial accomplishment:  Definitely the confirmation of two Supreme Court justices in a single term so far.  That's about as long-lasting an impact as you can have.  

Major economic accomplishment:  Dow peaked under his Presidency thanks to erasing every regulation he could find...but the economy also is crashing thanks to his stunning mismanagement of Coronavirus and inability to convincingly portray himself and his administration as being competent in this fight.

Major foreign policy accomplishment:  Oof.  I might have to completely redefine the word "accomplishment" to think of one.  The only thing that comes to mind is meeting with Kim Jung Un, but we seemingly gave North Korea everything they were demanding and received nothing.

Major Military accomplishment:  The lack of a coup against him, maybe?  

Three Trump Things in future history books:

1)  The impeachment trial
2)  Realignment of what it means to be part of the Republican party
3)  The way he will try to hold onto his power even after his time in office is legally over (I very seriously believe he will not admit defeat even if Biden decisively crushes him in 2020, but this could also apply to 2024).

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Major Military accomplishment:  The lack of a coup against him, maybe?  

Does possibly starting the next Cold War count?

56 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Nothing.  What do textbooks now say about Ford or Carter, outside of accomplishments?

Just now, pilight said:

Nothing.  What do textbooks now say about Ford or Carter, outside of accomplishments?

Ford -- basically nothing, except "Finished Nixon's term" 

Carter -- basically nothing, except "greatest post-presidency" 

Trump could be "first non-politician, non-military to hold office" and "another impeached president" or "only known president to never reach 50%+ approval" or "another president who didn't win popular vote"

9 minutes ago, pilight said:

Well, he's beaten William Henry Harrison, Zachary Taylor, James Garfield, Warren Harding, and even JFK on survivability, and it doesn't look like he's ending his Presidency (assuming it ends in January, 2021) with less states  than he started with, so he's beaten James Buchanan. And, despite dearly deserving to be, he hasn't been kicked out of his own party, so he's beaten John Tyler. Although, I'd say him being the first U.S. President to meet peacefully with a North Korean leader is a major diplomatic achievement, and not stating any new wars or significant military adventurism (despite scares and bluster) is a HUGE achievement for a U.S. President in the post-WW2 era. Domestically and judicially absolutely rotten, and economically it could be argued subjectively he's made short-term achievements here and there, but no long-term ones of note.

@vcczar

Assuming Trump doesn't do anything worse, he will be ranked higher than Tyler, A Johnson, Pierce, Buchanan. He will be about where Harding and Hoover are. Harding has improved of late---thanks to Clinton and Trump scandals normalizing scandal. GW Bush should be in this area, but people are sort of forgiving him in light of Trump. He'll rise and then fall again in the rankings. 

• Major impact on federal judiciary, including at this point 2 Supreme Court Justices, 25% of circuit court justices
  • Established Space Force
  • Major tax reform
  • Major regulatory reform
  • Avoided any major foreign military interventions (so far ...)
  • Meanwhile, destroyed ISIS caliphate
  • Moved U.S. embassy to Jerusalem
  • Built wall across southern border (240 miles at latest count)
  • Got impeached, acquitted
  • 2 year Special Counsel, which ended up with bupkis re Trump
  • Enabled boom in U.S. energy industry
  • Canceled TPP, negotiated USMCA
  • Withdrew from Paris Treaty
  • Withdrew from WHO
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Ford -- basically nothing, except "Finished Nixon's term" 

Carter -- basically nothing, except "greatest post-presidency" 

Trump could be "first non-politician, non-military to hold office" and "another impeached president" or "only known president to never reach 50%+ approval" or "another president who didn't win popular vote"

So basically, looking at Ford and Carter aren't in the history books because of the president before them + the president after them. I don't believe Obama was THAT impactful (in a Reagan, Nixon way) that it would discredit Trump from ever being in the history books because he will just be seen as the guy that coasted off Obama and I don't know if Biden is going to be a new FDR/Reagan, the jury is obviously going to be out on that.

I think another thing that will be in the history books for Trump is the era he created. Turbulent presidency where he shifted his party towards the right, Barry Goldwater is in the history books for less, and truly diminished the impact of his predecessor, withdraw from WHO, Paris Climate Treaty, moving soldiers towards the South China Sea, warming relations with Russia, he was impeached and had a two year special counsel. I believe if Trump wanted to be in the history books for all time in a kind of Nixon way, just cause he sucked that much in the eyes of the public then he achieved that. My children's children will be learning about Donald Trump, I don't think they'll learn as much about Obama as they will about Trump if I'm honest tbh. Trump's presidency has more to it in terms of the sheer craziness and stuff of note.

Barry Goldwater wasn't mentioned in history textbooks when I was in high school, and that was almost 40 years ago.  I guess we need to ask what level textbook we're talking about.

29 minutes ago, admin_270 said:
  • Major impact on federal judiciary, including at this point 2 Supreme Court Justices, 25% of circuit court justices
  • Major tax reform
  • Withdrew from WHO

Some of these won't be remembered in textbooks. Space Force could be big, but we will see. Tax reform and regulatory likely won't be. I doubt they last. Not significant enough for a textbook, except one on economics, regardless. I don't think he will get credit for destroying ISIS, he will likely get some credit though. Doubt this will be remembered in 50 years. Moving the embassy won't be in a textbook. Border wall might be, mainly for the rhetoric. It depends what Biden does with the wall. US Energy boom won't be remembered unless it leads to a Roaring 20s like situation, which won't be the case most likely. USMCA might be, but it's really just an update to NAFTA--so kind of a footnote. Biden will probably undo the Paris Treaty and WHO things. 

So of what you put, I think the following have potential to be in a textbook in 50 years:

• Appointment of justices (possible, depending if the text book pays attention to SC justices after John Marshall and Roger B Taney--many don't)
  • Space Force (possible)
  • Avoiding major wars (possible)
  • Border Wall (possible)
  • Impeached, acquitted (likely)
  • 2 year Special counsel (only because linked with the above)

Thus from a textbook perspective, he might have limited mention. Obama might just be mentioned as "First black president who gave US universal healthcare, presided over the killing of Bin Laden, and presided over nationwide legalization of gay marriage."  Trump might be "First non-politician, non-military president who was impeached, never achieved 50% approval, but created the Space Force and the Southern Border Wall." Something like that.  I think larger sections will be devoted to Bush II and Reagan of recent presidents. Clinton, Bush I, and Carter won't have much in a textbook either. I could see a section on Obamacare and immigration possibly extending the mentions of both Obama and Trump. Avoiding major wars for Trump is a good thing, but I doubt it matters unless Biden follows suit or does the complete reverse. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, pilight said:

Barry Goldwater wasn't mentioned in history textbooks when I was in high school, and that was almost 40 years ago.  I guess we need to ask what level textbook we're talking about.

I wouldn't know as I didn't attend school in the US but I wouldn't imagine it'd be left out if you're learning about the Republican party's shift towards the right and post-civil rights attitudes towards black people.

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Some of these won't be remembered in textbooks. Space Force could be big, but we will see. Tax reform and regulatory likely won't be. I doubt they last. Not significant enough for a textbook, except one on economics, regardless. I don't think he will get credit for destroying ISIS, he will likely get some credit though. Doubt this will be remembered in 50 years. Moving the embassy won't be in a textbook. Border wall might be, mainly for the rhetoric. It depends what Biden does with the wall. US Energy boom won't be remembered unless it leads to a Roaring 20s like situation, which won't be the case most likely. USMCA might be, but it's really just an update to NAFTA--so kind of a footnote. Biden will probably undo the Paris Treaty and WHO things. 

So of what you put, I think the following have potential to be in a textbook in 50 years:

• Appointment of justices (possible, depending if the text book pays attention to SC justices after John Marshall and Roger B Taney--many don't)
  • Space Force (possible)
  • Avoiding major wars (possible)
  • Border Wall (possible)
  • Impeached, acquitted (likely)
  • 2 year Special counsel (only because linked with the above)

Thus from a textbook perspective, he might have limited mention. Obama might just be mentioned as "First black president who gave US universal healthcare, presided over the killing of Bin Laden, and presided over nationwide legalization of gay marriage."  Trump might be "First non-politician, non-military president who was impeached, never achieved 50% approval, but created the Space Force and the Southern Border Wall." Something like that.  I think larger sections will be devoted to Bush II and Reagan of recent presidents. Clinton, Bush I, and Carter won't have much in a textbook either. I could see a section on Obamacare and immigration possibly extending the mentions of both Obama and Trump. Avoiding major wars for Trump is a good thing, but I doubt it matters unless Biden follows suit or does the complete reverse. 

Sounds reasonable. Remember there's another 6 months of Trump's first term.

6 minutes ago, pilight said:

I learned about Goldwater in high school, granted it was mainly as a precursor to how Nixon was able to get elected. This would have been between 2011-2015 as far as high school goes. 

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Major Judicial accomplishment:  Definitely the confirmation of two Supreme Court justices in a single term so far.  That's about as long-lasting an impact as you can have.  

Absolutely, although there might have been even better judges available.

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Major foreign policy accomplishment:  Oof.  I might have to completely redefine the word "accomplishment" to think of one.  The only thing that comes to mind is meeting with Kim Jung Un, but we seemingly gave North Korea everything they were demanding and received nothing.

Yeah, big mistake! 

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

263 criminal counts against 34 suspects, that we know about.  

All but one of the suspects who was actually caught either plead guilty or was found guilty.  Twenty-eight remain "at large", outside of US jurisdiction

And while this was not the intention of the investigation, the special counsel investigation managed to make a PROFIT of tens of millions of dollars.  As part of his plea deal, Paul Manafort alone forfeited assets worth $42 million, while the entire investigation cost less than $35 million including all salaries and expenses.

52 minutes ago, admin_270 said:
  • Major tax reform
  • Withdrew from WHO

1. Partisan spoils and patronage justice apointments are still a despicable practice and betrayal of the principle of justice, and calls EVERY Supreme Court into potential question and dubiosity for validity. ANY U.S. President who touts this as an "achievement," has it as a strike against them to me.

2. What exactly is this "Space Force," for and to accomplish, except to be another unaccountable, non-transparent, ridiculous waste of taxpayers' money to aggrandize sociopathic and criminal (Chicken) War Hawks. Trump didn't even seem to know what he was talking about when he announced - he seemed really SPACED out at the time. Another strike AGAINST him.

3. I haven't looked into this tax reform being touted, but all tax reform bills passed by the GOP in the U.S. seem very much like tax law in France in the several centuries prior to the Revolution - to greatly favour the rich and have them immensely undertaxed in proportion to their earnings compared to everyone else.

4. Trump's regulatory reform mostly seems to give big corporations - even if encouraging to operate and employ in the U.S. as opposed to abroad - a freer hand to run roughshod over their employees, consumers, and any laws concerning environmental protection, limits on buying government land that gives an advantage over non-corporate entities, and erodes trade and commerce regulations between corporations themselves. A BIG strike against.

5. Avoiding foreign military interventionism is one I will accede as a benefit.

6. Destroying ISIS is a gross and distorted misnomer. Coming in at the end and killing al-Baghdadi with a commando team, while practically sitting on the sidelines while only giving air support drone attacks, and arms, funding, and military advisors aid to those actually fighting them on the ground (and even a majority, collectively of the air war, for the vast majority of the conflict), and even having vicious Congressional arguments and condemnations that that aid was way too much - is NOT the U.S. or Trump DESTROYING ISIS. Put things in damned perspective, here! Iran actually contributed VASTLY more military forces, troops, and military effort to fighting and wearing down ISIS than the U.S. did directly.

7. Moving the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem is a VERY similar situation to when East Germany's Warsaw Pact and East Bloc allies moved their embassies in East Germany from Potsdam or Leipzig to East Berlin in 1961. Both incidents were only meant as imperious "fuck you's," to foreign rivals, and not for any true productive or meaningful reason in and of themselves. This is also a strike against Trump, unless he's comparable to Nikita Krushchev, to you.

8. Trump building a huge monument to his excess, ego, and narcissism with taxpayers' money, or by extorting from Mexico, is not an achievement - it's something comparable to a corrupt, megalomaniacal African or Asian dictator. It is absolutely not acceptable, and certainly not praiseworthy, of an elected leader who is supposed to represent the people, follow a Constitution, and be a public servant (almost all monments of such leaders anywhere in the world were almost commissioned and paid for by someone else who admired them, or by their government after they died, and again, due to admiration - not by the leader in question).

9. The being impeached, and then acquitted, thing, is just an example of the failure and abdication of justice at the highest level of government that is the impeachment system, and how it actually PROTECTS among the highest criminals in the nation and makes them de facto untouchable - something that really should change if JUSTICE is to be truly claimed to be present in the U.S. This is CERTAINLY not an achievement of Trump's.

10. The two years Special Counsel is another example of the failure and betrayal of the process of justice at the highest levels of the U.S. Government, and, again, how among the worst criminals in the country get away with horrid crimes because the follow different rules in their due process that nepotistically stacked to protect them - a feature that is basically Feudal by nature and completely inappropriate to a Republic. Again, as number, not an achievement of Trump's but a failure of the whole Constitutional system and a cheating of justice.

I won't comment on the energy and trade ones just yet, but are praising the vast long-term number of deaths and the degradation of the standard of living globally, including in the U.S. that will result from Trump leaving the Paris Treaty and WHO - mostly in fits of personal pique. I am not most certainly not, and they are definite strikes against him, and the death of many innocents, including many American ones, will be instead be on his hands in the long-term.

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

263 criminal counts against 34 suspects, that we know about.

Yes, and none of them Trump. No charges were directly related to Trump, except Cohen's guilty plea for FEC violations that didn't seem to actually be FEC violations.

48 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Sounds reasonable. Remember there's another 6 months of Trump's first term.

That's true but he's going to have his hands tied behind his back:

• Coronavirus is still a big thing and likely won't see any significant shift for at least month, likely more. Some experts think it is going to get worse. My city of Philadelphia is closing all public events until Feb 28, 2021! 
  • He's in a reelection campaign which is going to take up much of his time. 
  • He'll likely have a lame duck period which, if loses badly, might see his own party turn on him. 

I'm trying to think about what he could do. He's more likely to pull out a surprise more than most presidents. The economy was his thing, so unless people are getting jobs that were as good as those that they lost, that's not going to help him. We are now less than 4 months away from election. We are getting close to only 100 days left until the election. I could see Trump trying to be remembered as a good president do a lot of non-ideological things during his lame duck period that are popular and completely contradictory of his routine messages. I don't think he's an ideological person. I think he just wants to project an image, which is an advertising thing. If the image fails, he might recalibrate to save some face. 

4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Yes, and none of them Trump. No charges were directly related to Trump, except Cohen's guilty plea for FEC violations that didn't seem to actually be FEC violations.

If Trump gets convicted or goes to jail it's going to be once he's out of office. I'm about 50% certain he'll be brought to trial some way or another, possibly through a future investigation. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

That's true but he's going to have his hands tied behind his back:

• Coronavirus is still a big thing and likely won't see any significant shift for at least month, likely more. Some experts think it is going to get worse. My city of Philadelphia is closing all public events until Feb 28, 2021! 
  • He's in a reelection campaign which is going to take up much of his time. 
  • He'll likely have a lame duck period which, if loses badly, might see his own party turn on him. 

I'm trying to think about what he could do. He's more likely to pull out a surprise more than most presidents. The economy was his thing, so unless people are getting jobs that were as good as those that they lost, that's not going to help him. We are now less than 4 months away from election. We are getting close to only 100 days left until the election. I could see Trump trying to be remembered as a good president do a lot of non-ideological things during his lame duck period that are popular and completely contradictory of his routine messages. I don't think he's an ideological person. I think he just wants to project an image, which is an advertising thing. If the image fails, he might recalibrate to save some face. 

If Donald Trump wanted to do “good” and protect his public image, he was handed four years to achieve that.

What did he do to further that goal?  In what way would he become better at it in 100 days than he was over the past 3.5 years?

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

@admin_270 I've responded to your "Donald Trump's greatest hits," up there.

I agree with you re 5. Note I'm saying what his administration might be remembered for (VCCzar's last question in the post). Not necessarily 'accomplishments'.

22 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

If Donald Trump wanted to do “good” and protect his public image, he was handed four years to achieve that.

What did he do to further that goal?  In what way would he become better at it in 100 days than he was over the past 3.5 years?

I see him doing it as a desperation move to save his legacy. I don't think he'd do anything because I don't think he has the self-reflection to admit he did something wrong previously.