270soft Forum

Ranked Choice Vote Exercise

Ranked Choice Vote Exercise  

23 members have voted

1. 1. If ranked choice vote were a thing, and you lived in Iowa, who would you have voted for in the 2020 Democratic Primary, if you had chosen to vote Democrat? [Note: I'm only using these 8 candidates]

• Joe Biden
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Tulsi Gabbard
    • Elizabeth Warren
    • Michael Bloomberg
    • Amy Klobuchar
    • Pete Buttigieg
    • Andrew Yang
  2. 2. Who would be your 2nd Choice?

3. 3. Who is your 3rd choice?

4. 4. Who is your 4th choice?

5. 5. Who is your 5th choice?

Has ranked choice voting helped third parties in foreign countries? I don't see that it worked in Australia.

If I had a choice for the US I'd rather the presidential election be a runoff, at least then people can vote freely in the first round. It's clearly worked in France where the main two parties have been left out of the runoff countless times.

6 minutes ago, wolves said:

Has ranked choice voting helped third parties in foreign countries? I don't see that it worked in Australia.

If I had a choice for the US I'd rather the presidential election be a runoff, at least then people can vote freely in the first round. It's clearly worked in France where the main two parties have been left out of the runoff countless times.

How might runoffs be more "free" than ranked choice? I don't think ranked choice is any more restrictive in the first round voting is it?

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

How might runoffs be more "free" than ranked choice? I don't think ranked choice is any more restrictive in the first round voting is it?

Maybe freedom was the wrong angle to tackle, I think runoffs are more advantageous to the third party in a system like the US has, where everything is partisan leaning and strategic voting is the name of the game. I doubt, even if the electoral system faced massive reform, that any party that isn't the GOP or the DNC would be kingmakers but I can say with confidence that the strategic voting of runoffs would benefit third parties more than ranked choice, people could see that no matter what it is going to be Trump v Biden in the runoff, so they instead vote for the Green party to push them for federal funding.

I don't know why I am even talking about this as if the electoral system would EVER change. In terms of ranked choice, I put Sanders first, Yang second and Warren third. If Castro was here he would be third instead.

8 minutes ago, wolves said:

Maybe freedom was the wrong angle to tackle, I think runoffs are more advantageous to the third party in a system like the US has, where everything is partisan leaning and strategic voting is the name of the game. I doubt, even if the electoral system faced massive reform, that any party that isn't the GOP or the DNC would be kingmakers but I can say with confidence that the strategic voting of runoffs would benefit third parties more than ranked choice, people could see that no matter what it is going to be Trump v Biden in the runoff, so they instead vote for the Green party to push them for federal funding.

I don't know why I am even talking about this as if the electoral system would EVER change. In terms of ranked choice, I put Sanders first, Yang second and Warren third. If Castro was here he would be third instead.

I'll do a new poll with a run off after this one, using 3rd parties. 

Results!

Sanders leads with 26% after the first ballot. 

Round 1 --

Klobuchar, who had 0 votes, is dropped.

Sanders leads with 26%

Round 2 -

Biden, Gabbard, and Bloomberg are all dropped because they are tied with the least after Klobuchar.

Yang picks up 2 votes and Buttigieg picks up 1. 

Yang, Buttigieg, and Sanders are tied with 26%

Round 3 -

Warren is dropped. 

Buttigieg +2, Sanders +2

Both Sanders and Buttigieg have about 36-37%

Round 4 - 

Yang is dropped.

Sanders +1

Buttigieg +3

Buttigieg wins the election

@Actinguy would be glad to see this. 

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Results!

Sanders leads with 26% after the first ballot. 

Round 1 --

Klobuchar, who had 0 votes, is dropped.

Sanders leads with 26%

Round 2 -

Biden, Gabbard, and Bloomberg are all dropped because they are tied with the least after Klobuchar.

Yang picks up 2 votes and Buttigieg picks up 1. 

Yang, Buttigieg, and Sanders are tied with 26%

Round 3 -

Warren is dropped. 

Buttigieg +2, Sanders +2

Both Sanders and Buttigieg have about 36-37%

Round 4 - 

Yang is dropped.

Sanders +1

Buttigieg +3

Buttigieg wins the election

@Actinguy would be glad to see this. 

I am now officially a huge proponent of ranked choice voting.

Haha!