270soft Forum

Stefan Molyneux has been banned on Twitter

Stefan Molyneux, a philosopher and public commentator, was a significant player in the 2015-6 election, even being recommended as an endorser by one user at some point.

I followed his Twitter account during that election. He has now been banned from Twitter. This follows a string of figures being banned from Twitter.

I don't generally like censorship, although I acknowledge that any country, company, community, and so on, has to have standards and enforce them.

I prefer open and robust debate to censorship.

I can easily believe Molyneux has said many things that bother the people running Twitter.

I also don't like monopolies, which tend towards impoverished markets. Twitter is a de facto monopoly.

It's not clear to me what's happening with social media - whether there are centrifugal forces afoot that will pull apart the Twitter, Facebook, and Google de facto monopolies, or not.

But, I want to encourage competition in any monopolistic market. I favour local booksellers over Amazon, for example.

Toward that end, I have opened another Twitter-competitor account, with Parler. Had a dormant one on Gab from 2016, but have reactivated it. Both of these are @270soft .

If anyone has other suggestions for other decent Twitter competitors, let me know.

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Stefan Molyneux, a philosopher and public commentator, was a significant player in the 2015-6 election, even being recommended as an endorser by one user at some point.

I followed his Twitter account during that election. He has now been banned from Twitter. This follows a string of figures being banned from Twitter.

I don't generally like censorship, although I acknowledge that any country, company, community, and so on, has to have standards and enforce them.

I can easily believe Molyneux has said many things that bother the people running Twitter.

I also don't like monopolies, which tend towards impoverished markets. Twitter is a de facto monopoly.

It's not clear to me what's happening with social media - whether there are centrifugal forces afoot that will pull apart the Twitter, Facebook, and Google de facto monopolies, or not.

But, I want to encourage competition in any monopolistic market. I favour local booksellers over Amazon, for example.

Toward that end, I have opened another Twitter-competitor account, with Parler. Had a dormant one on Gab from 2016, but have reactivated it. Both of these are @270soft .

If anyone has other suggestions for other decent Twitter competitors, let me know.

I havent' heard of these platforms. I used to have an alternate to Facebook. The issue is that so few people use them that it becomes pointless. However, everything needs a start. 

I also choose independent bookstores over Amazon, although I've been forced to use Amazon these last few months. I also pick independent coffee shops, clothing stores, restaurants, etc. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I don't use Twitter or Facebook. I don't even exist on either - that is, I have never made an account or had a "presence," on either, and asked all my family and friends to refrain from mentioning me by name or sharing the rare few photos in digital format that exist of me on these platforms. I have used Google as a search, but have become more and more frustrated with it to get the actual search results I want, and my searches with inexplicable garbage that is no rational way to my search. The dismissive response in many Internet interactions when a question or clarification is asked for, "Google is your friend," leads me to, "Google is NOT my friend, and hasn't been for several years."

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Patine said:

The dismissive response in many Internet interactions when a question or clarification is asked for, "Google is your friend," leads me to, "Google is NOT my friend, and hasn't been for several years."

😂

I usually use DuckDuckGo, FWIW.

You can get away from online tracking, search query storage, and so on to an extent by using the right search engine, right browser, and having the right options set. But even then, it's not perfect.

44 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't use Twitter or Facebook. I don't even exist on either - that is, I have never made an account or had a "presence," on either, and asked all my family and friends to refrain from mentioning me by name or sharing the rare few photos in digital format that exist of me on these platforms. I have used Google as a search, but have become more and more frustrated with it to get the actual search results I want, and my searches with inexplicable garbage that is no rational way to my search. The dismissive response in many Internet interactions when a question or clarification is asked for, "Google is your friend," leads me to, "Google is NOT my friend, and hasn't been for several years."

I created a Fan Page on Facebook for you with a likeness that is just an assumption of what you look like. Just kidding. 

I actually did this for a friend that wasn't on FB. At first he seemed sort of flattered and thought it was funny, but I could tell it was making him angry when I didn't take it down. I left it up for like 5 years because I forgot I had made it. I still don't think he's quite forgiven me. He was really into privacy. My error. 

26 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Large Twitter following, I believe.

I had never even heard of him. 

I don't know who that is, but do you at least know what it was that got him banned from Twitter?  That might help us decide whether the ban was appropriate or not.

I enjoyed Twitter when I was on it -- I mostly followed various up and coming comedians but also some political and news folks.  Unlike Facebook, where I am extremely careful about what I make public and what is private/who my "friends" are, I was pretty freewheeling on Twitter because I had a madeup user name not associated with me anywhere else and never revealed my identity or other things that would help someone identify me.  I made a lot of political commentary that could have harmed the career I had at the time, if it had become public.

Then one day I got an unrelated death threat at work, and a co-worker showed me an online background check site she had an account for that helped me identify the sender.

But I became curious about how accurate it was, so I used the same site to search for myself.  Most of the information was accurate and no surprise -- phone numbers and addresses I'd lived at, public records type of stuff.  No big deal for those of us who are already aware that public records exist.

But then at the bottom, it had known social media accounts -- and there was my "anonymous" twitter page.

I deleted it that day and haven't been back.

52 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

do you at least know what it was that got him banned from Twitter

Don't know. He was banned from YouTube a week ago. Presumably related.

Often Twitter themselves won't be clear - just say the user violated rules related to a vague area.

55 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

But then at the bottom, it had known social media accounts -- and there was my "anonymous" twitter page.

That's interesting, but not surprising to me. IP, browser cookies, and so on, can be used to identify someone fairly straightforwardly.

The difference is how easy it is to do it, and who has access to that information. A prospective employer who does a quick google for a name won't get that, so there's a layer of protection, but no way is it foolproof.

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

The difference is how easy it is to do it, and who has access to that information. A prospective employer who does a quick google for a name won't get that, so there's a layer of protection, but no way is it foolproof.

Yep, but anyone could pay for an account on the background check site where my Twitter account was listed, like my co-worker did.  Potentially employers, the person who sent me the death threat, anyone.  That was enough to scare me away.

Just now, Actinguy said:

Yep, but anyone could pay for an account on the background check site, like my co-worker did.  Potentially employers, the person who sent me the death threat, anyone.  That was enough to scare me away.

Yes, I don't have a problem believing this.

9 hours ago, Patine said:

Sometimes I feel as if I am the only the one not entrapped in the social media cycle lol.  Only form of social media that I currently use is WhatsApp (free calling and messaging over wifi/data - very cost effective).  Other than that, I haven't had a Facebook in years and did not sign up for any of that other garbage.  I only kept Facebook for a few years to keep in touch with long-distance friends/alumni, to be honest.  My philosophy later changed on the basis that if you are important to me in my everyday life, you probably have my email or phone number lol.  Social media brings out nothing but the worst in people nowadays, and is only useful for free business exposure and advertising.

6 hours ago, admin_270 said:

That's interesting, but not surprising to me. IP, browser cookies, and so on, can be used to identify someone fairly straightforwardly.

Have a background in information security, a few tips :

1.  Always use a VPN (also, check out TOR if you are into hardcore privacy protection)

2.  Never use Chrome (by far the worst browser for privacy, along with anything else Google related)

2 b.  As stated above, nothing made by/service provided by Google is your friend

3.  Never keep your browser sized for full screen

4.  If you really want to go hardcore, check out Tails for a "disposable" operating system.

5.  Burner emails, phone numbers, etc. as well depending on what you may be up to.

6.  The IRS/CRA will never ask you for your information over the phone (I am amazed that people still fall for this one, I lose faith in humanity seeing the stories aired in the news lol)

A lot of things to consider in the field of information security, but just a few thoughts of mine.

From the first sentence of his Wikipedia page:

"Stefan Basil Molyneux (/stəˈfæn ˈmɒlɪnj/; born September 24, 1966) is a Canadian far-right, white nationalist[2] podcaster and former YouTuber who is known for his promotion of conspiracy theories, scientific racism, eugenics and white supremacist views."

It goes on to say "The 
Freedomain internet community which Molyneux leads has been described as a cult, and Molyneux has been described as a cult leader, using cult indoctrination techniques on his followers."

I now have some theories on why he may have been banned.  ;c)

25 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

"Stefan Basil Molyneux (/stəˈfæn ˈmɒlɪnj/; born September 24, 1966) is a Canadian far-right, white nationalist[2] podcaster and former YouTuber who is known for his promotion of conspiracy theories, scientific racism, eugenics and white supremacist views."

It goes on to say "The 
Freedomain internet community which Molyneux leads has been described as a cult, and Molyneux has been described as a cult leader, using cult indoctrination techniques on his followers."

Yes, we do have types like that in the usually-more-tolerant "Great White North." Usually, they don't get much media attention at all in the U.S., though. The list of clients of "free speech criminal and civil defense lawyer," Doug Christie, has a large choice selection of them right up front (he just seemed to LOVE taking those kind of cases). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Christie_(lawyer)

Edit: Sorry, wrong Doug Christie. Fixed now.

59 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

It goes on to say "The 

My guess is the Wikipedia page is incorrect. From what I've read of Molyneux's writing, he has denounced eugenics and doesn't think racial supremacism is a coherent concept. Perhaps his views have changed since I was reading him in 2015-6, but Wikipedia is an unreliable source for politically charged topics, so my guess is it hasn't. I don't remember him ever arguing for white nationalism - but maybe? But ya, he's to the right - they at least got that right.

Here's Molyneux himself recently.

https://www.freedomain.com/2020/07/07/what-i-believe-stefan-molyneux/

"Eugenics is a government program that uses force to control people’s reproductive choices and is utterly immoral. [...] I believe in equality before the law and reject any and all laws based on race. No race should “rule” or dominate any other race."

"I do not believe that any race is “superior” or “inferior.”"

and

"I am not an “ethno-nationalist” but an advocate for a stateless society. In a truly free society, people can live however they choose, as long as they do not initiate the use of force. The violence required to create an “ethno-state” would be a monstrous violation of the non-aggression principle, and should be utterly condemned."

Anything in Wikipedia that is politically contentious should be treated with skepticism.

14 hours ago, CPE said:

Have a background in information security, a few tips :

Sound like good tips for anyone who wants to preserve their privacy. If you're being given something for free, best to ask why. You're not Google's customer, you're Google's (Facebook's, Twitter's) product.

Why 3. (browser not full-screen)?

4 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Sound like good tips for anyone who wants to preserve their privacy. If you're being given something for free, best to ask why. You're not Google's customer, you're Google's (Facebook's, Twitter's) product.

Why 3. (browser not full-screen)?

Believe it or not, information trackers on many websites/apps will not only record your IP address (location), but your operating system, device screen dimensions, etc.  Most people have no clue how much information they give to the powerful information/data conglomerates when they use these popular social media services or other apps, and do not understand that information is often sold and shared very widely among organizations which collect it.