270soft Forum

What Amendments to the US Constitution Would You Like to See?

This is for the creation of a new poll that I will make. If there was going to be a 2nd Constitutional Convention---one aimed at powering through several amendments or repealing a lot of amendments---what proposed Amendments would you like to see discussed, even if you are uncertain if you would support such an amendment? 

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A two-round popular vote election like in France for the Presidency. Proportional allocation of House of Representatives seats. Expanding the size of the House/uncapping it, altogether.

Didn't we do this before?

Well, other than a couple of those, that's a quick way to make a nation in the context of the 21st Century utterly ungovernable...

Posted Images

Just now, vcczar said:

This is for the creation of a new poll that I will make. If there was going to be a 2nd Constitutional Convention---one aimed at powering through several amendments or repealing a lot of amendments---what proposed Amendments would you like to see discussed, even if you are uncertain if you would support such an amendment? 

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75

I believe things are such a mess in this regard only a whole new Convention, not seen in the U.S. at the Federal level since 1787, will be capable of addressing the quagmire of American governance.

Here are some off the top of my head --- I don't know if I'd support these, but would like to see the debate:

• Cities with over 500,000 population get their own Electoral Votes
  • Abolish Electoral College
  • Presidential committee rather than a single president
  • US House districts redrawn along census district lines, with a non-partisan committee used for redistricting in the future
  • Federal Judges cannot be registered with any political party within 10 years of appointment or thereafter.
  • Retirement age for federal offices set to 75. 
  • SC Justice term limits of 10 years
  • US Senator term limits of 12 years
  • US Rep term limits of 8 years
  • Referendum, Recall, and Initiative
  • Cities with over 1,000,000 people get their own US Senator
  • Former presidents become an extra US Senator
  • National Voting Day
  • Increase number of US Reps to 1 for every 100,000 people, combine this with making the US House operate with cyber votes or proxies. 
  • Non-partisan committee, possibly the same that deals with US Census above, picks the location and number of polling stations to make them most accessible as possible.
  • All people running for a federal office must undergo a non-partisan mental and physical health screening. 
  • All people running for a federal office or seeking a federal position must have the Constitution memorized and understood. 

I could keep going with ideas. May add some more later. 

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

I believe things are such a mess in this regard only a whole new Convention, not seen in the U.S. at the Federal level since 1787, will be capable of addressing the quagmire of American governance.

Give us some suggested changes. I'll include them in the poll. 

A two-round popular vote election like in France for the Presidency.

Proportional allocation of House of Representatives seats.

Expanding the size of the House/uncapping it, altogether.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, pilight said:

Didn't we do this before?

We did something like this awhile back, but I'm going to use a different method. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think these might be as popular here as one of President Trump's tweets, but we need some variety here I think. These are in approximate order of priority

1. The Congress SHALL pass a full budget every year and dollars allocated may not exceed dollars in revenue taken in from income tax and similar sources during the previous year. Exceptions may only be granted during the following emergencies (<insert list here>) which must be approved by the President and a 2/3 vote in both Houses of Congress, and will only be good for a single budget year.

2. Any bills resulting in an increase of income, corporate, capital gains or any other tax levied directly on individual citizens must receive three-fifths majorities in both Houses.

3. Repeal the 16th and 17th Amendments

4. The President shall have a line item veto.

5. Ban on omnibus bills in Congress.

6. Permanently define the Supreme Court as 9 members, and members shall serve for an initial term of 10 years, after which they may be renewed for lifetime appointment.
POSSIBLE alternative: Any change in the size of the Court passed by Congress may not take effect, nor any nominations be voted on, until 12 years after such law is enacted.

7. Congress shall make no law regarding trade, or restricting thereof, or having any power to set prices or otherwise regulate private businesses. The Commerce Clause of the Constitution may not limit production or sale within any one state (might need rewording) For justification see SCOTUS “Wickard v. Filburn”).

8. No government agency headed by someone not having been elected to his/her present office may enact or enforce any binding law or legislation. Any and all federal laws, regulations, or fees not directly enacted by a vote of Congress shall be null and void within two years of the passage of this Amendment.

9. The total time served for anyone in the Senate and House of Representatives combined shall not exceed 18 years.

17 minutes ago, servo75 said:

I think these might be as popular here as one of President Trump's tweets, but we need some variety here I think. These are in approximate order of priority

1. The Congress SHALL pass a full budget every year and dollars allocated may not exceed dollars in revenue taken in from income tax and similar sources during the previous year. Exceptions may only be granted during the following emergencies (<insert list here>) which must be approved by the President and a 2/3 vote in both Houses of Congress, and will only be good for a single budget year.

2. Any bills resulting in an increase of income, corporate, capital gains or any other tax levied directly on individual citizens must receive three-fifths majorities in both Houses.

6. Permanently define the Supreme Court as 9 members, and members shall serve for an initial term of 10 years, after which they may be renewed for lifetime appointment.
POSSIBLE alternative: Any change in the size of the Court passed by Congress may not take effect, nor any nominations be voted on, until 12 years after such law is enacted.

7. Congress shall make no law regarding trade, or restricting thereof, or having any power to set prices or otherwise regulate private businesses. The Commerce Clause of the Constitution may not limit production or sale within any one state (might need rewording) For justification see SCOTUS “Wickard v. Filburn”).

8. No government agency headed by someone not having been elected to his/her present office may enact or enforce any binding law or legislation. Any and all federal laws, regulations, or fees not directly enacted by a vote of Congress shall be null and void within two years of the passage of this Amendment.

9. The total time served for anyone in the Senate and House of Representatives combined shall not exceed 18 years.

Well, other than a couple of those, that's a quick way to make a nation in the context of the 21st Century utterly ungovernable...

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, servo75 said:

I quite like 4 and 6. Like the idea behind 9. 

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Especially with two hyper-partisan major parties. 

Just now, SilentLiberty said:

Would force them to work together more though

Possibly. I wouldn't put it past the parties to prefer destroying the country to upsetting their base in a Trump-era world. 

3 hours ago, servo75 said:

I think these might be as popular here as one of President Trump's tweets,

Not quite, I approve of the large majority of these. Just not Trump at all. 

I really appreciated giving the non delegation doctrine its teeth back and boning up the Commerce Clause.

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Especially with two hyper-partisan major parties. 

What exactly do you mean by that? @Patine How would we be ungovernable?

45 minutes ago, servo75 said:

What exactly do you mean by that? @Patine How would we be ungovernable?

A major quality of hyper-partisanship is the stubborn aversion to bipartisanship, even if such bipartisanship is best for the good of the whole country. 

1. Repeal the 16th Amendment

2. Repeal the 17th Amendment

3. Repeal 23rd Amendment

4. Repeal 26th Amendment

5. Require bills to be narrowly tailored under one subject

6. Clarify a narrow interpretation/implementation of the commerce clause

7. Clarify a narrow interpretation/implementation of the necessary and proper clause

8. Eliminate birthright citizenship and outline an alternate way of becoming a citizen

9. Prevent any branch from delegating responsibilities to another

10. Balanced Budget

11. Allow for process of secession

12. Protect the freedom of association

13. Life Amendment guaranteeing equal protection for the unborn

14. Photo ID voting requirement and limited early/mail-in voting

15. Allow process for states to nullify federal law

16. Strengthen the 4th Amendment (eliminate unreasonable so that all searches and seizures need a warrant)

17. Further restrict the executive's war powers

18. Ban state funded primary elections and restrict state subsidization of political parties

19. Raise the voting threshold for tax increases to 2/3rd majority

20. Limit size of the Supreme Court and reduce Congress's ability to change it's organization

21. Define limits of judicial review

22. Clarify that 2nd Amendment applies to individuals and that no gun restriction should be permitted

• Another one I'm going to add is clarify the 2nd Amendment so that people may own arms but may only use them (bear them) for the purposes of militia.
  • An Amendment requiring the President to seek Congresses approval for war, except when the US is attacked. 
  • Equal rights for men and women
  • An exception clause amendment which allows states to be excluded from Federal law if they offer a very similar law that is expected to produce similar or better results. The president will be given the power to determine if an exception clause criteria is met.
  • An amendment that states that federal law nullifies state law, except when the above exception clause is met. 
  • A recall question for the President will be on the ballot every midterm. If 60% of the voters vote for recall, then the President is replaced by the VP. 
  • Define rules for making the president and federal officials more accountable for corruption, incompetence, purposeful public lying etc.

I'll have some more to add later

17 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

1. Repeal the 16th Amendment

2. Repeal the 17th Amendment

3. Repeal 23rd Amendment

4. Repeal 26th Amendment

5. Require bills to be narrowly tailored under one subject

6. Clarify a narrow interpretation/implementation of the commerce clause

7. Clarify a narrow interpretation/implementation of the necessary and proper clause

8. Eliminate birthright citizenship and outline an alternate way of becoming a citizen

9. Prevent any branch from delegating responsibilities to another

10. Balanced Budget

11. Allow for process of succession

12. Protect the freedom of association

13. Life Amendment guaranteeing equal protection for the unborn

14. Photo ID voting requirement and limited early/mail-in voting

15. Allow process for states to nullify federal law

16. Strengthen the 4th Amendment (eliminate unreasonable so that all searches and seizures need a warrant)

17. Further restrict the executive's war powers

18. Ban state funded primary elections and restrict state subsidization of political parties

19. Raise the voting threshold for tax increases

20. Limit size of the Supreme Court and reduce Congress's ability to change it's organization

21. Define limits of judicial review

I like a lot of these.

#1 & 2 I obviously agree with because I noted them myself. 23rd I'm 50/50 on. 26th I think so. This amendment dates back to the days when 18 year olds were informed enough to make political decisions. But our education system has become so atrocious that I think most people under 21 are not experienced enough or educated enough in U.S. history and civics to have well-formed opinions on matters as weighty as selecting a President. Though I reserve that state and locals could keep it at 18.

#5-7 Again I love the idea, I thought I was expressing that in my no omnibus bills amendment, unless you think that's not specific enough?

#8 I think an amendment clarifying this is in order, but I maintain that birthright citizenship is already non-existent. The 14th amendment states, "All persons born... in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof." Many have argued, and I agree, that illegal aliens are foreign nationals, ergo are not legal residents ergo are not "subject to the jurisdiction." After all, if an ambassador from France has a child in the U.S., that child is clearly a French, not a U.S. Citizen because that ambassador is a French citizen with French allegiance. Then again, I would not be opposed to an amendment solidifying and clarifying this further.

#10 obviously a good one

#11 Do you mean "secession"?

#12 is already in the First Amendment. But given the recent Covid shutdowns there needs to be something saying that the government has no power to interfere with commerce, nor tell people how many feet apart they have to be. Perhaps this does need to be re-iterated more directly.

Though I'm pro-choice I can't totally argue with #13. Maybe as a compromise for something else.

#14 I like the idea but not sure how you could enforce this. I don't like the floodgates this would open with the Federal government telling states how to run their affairs.

#15 Good one too. If the law is unconstitutional or assumes powers that the Federal government does not legally have (as does about 90% of legislation coming from Washington these days), that's already the case.

#16: We'll call it the "Flynn Amendment" or more infamously the "Mueller Amendment"

#17. Aren't they already restricted? I'm all for a large scale reduction in the powers of the Presidency.

#18. Not sure what you mean by this one. But off-topic this reminds me I wonder if the Democrat Party, aiming for the abolition of the Electoral College, will ever put its money where its mouth is, cancel all primaries and nominate their candidate by nationwide popular vote, or realize that Canada, UK, and many others do not elect their PM by national popular vote either.

#19 Yeah like I said, should be 3/5 of each House

#20 Agreed

#21 Yes but we'd need to be a bit more specific. I actually like the SCOTUS ability to strike down laws which are truly unconstitutional. But with activist justices and all that "living document" crapola, it's gotten way too abused.

32 minutes ago, servo75 said:

#11 Do you mean "secession"?

Lol, yes. Stupid spell check

33 minutes ago, servo75 said:

#14 I like the idea but not sure how you could enforce this. I don't like the floodgates this would open with the Federal government telling states how to run their affairs.

Ya, this one I am not totally sold on yet. But, I think I'd be more in favor than opposed. Though it would have to be narrowly tailored.

34 minutes ago, servo75 said:

#17. Aren't they already restricted? I'm all for a large scale reduction in the powers of the Presidency.

They are supposed to be. While my non-delegation amendment would solve much of the problems, I feel like Congressional oversight could be more specific.

39 minutes ago, servo75 said:

#18. Not sure what you mean by this one. But off-topic this reminds me I wonder if the Democrat Party, aiming for the abolition of the Electoral College, will ever put its money where its mouth is, cancel all primaries and nominate their candidate by nationwide popular vote, or realize that Canada, UK, and many others do not elect their PM by national popular vote either.

State funded primaries is an act of the state subsidizing political parties. Party registration is another example. This (along with the subsidization of political groups [ie. Planned Parenthood] and candidates) should be banned.

40 minutes ago, servo75 said:

#21 Yes but we'd need to be a bit more specific. I actually like the SCOTUS ability to strike down laws which are truly unconstitutional. But with activist justices and all that "living document" crapola, it's gotten way too abused.

For sure. I just don't have time to put a detailed list of judicial reforms that I'd like to see

3 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Lol, yes. Stupid spell check

Ya, this one I am not totally sold on yet. But, I think I'd be more in favor than opposed. Though it would have to be narrowly tailored.

They are supposed to be. While my non-delegation amendment would solve much of the problems, I feel like Congressional oversight could be more specific.

State funded primaries is an act of the state subsidizing political parties. Party registration is another example. This (along with the subsidization of political groups [ie. Planned Parenthood] and candidates) should be banned.

For sure. I just don't have time to put a detailed list of judicial reforms that I'd like to see

At some point, I'll ask everyone to be more specific so people know what amendments they are voting for and against. 

Just now, vcczar said:

At some point, I'll ask everyone to be more specific so people know what amendments they are voting for and against. 

👍

I'll try and make some of the more broad ones more specific as time permits

1 hour ago, vcczar said:
  • Another one I'm going to add is clarify the 2nd Amendment so that people may own arms but may only use them (bear them) for the purposes of militia.
  • An Amendment requiring the President to seek Congresses approval for war, except when the US is attacked. 
  • Equal rights for men and women
  • An exception clause amendment which allows states to be excluded from Federal law if they offer a very similar law that is expected to produce similar or better results. The president will be given the power to determine if an exception clause criteria is met.
  • An amendment that states that federal law nullifies state law, except when the above exception clause is met. 
  • A recall question for the President will be on the ballot every midterm. If 60% of the voters vote for recall, then the President is replaced by the VP. 
  • Define rules for making the president and federal officials more accountable for corruption, incompetence, purposeful public lying etc.

I'll have some more to add later

That first one, not sure how you enforce it or prove that someone is "not using it for militia purposes." Militia is nothing more than a group self-defense which is what 2A is for.

It's already so that only Congress can declare war. We haven't had a declared war since WW2 though that's not a Constitutional issue I think.

What rights do women not have? You should at least specify. Otherwise it's too vague to be enforceable.

Recalls can be problematic. I assume you would mean 60% of the Electoral College, right? The specifics of that would have to be spelt out. I'm not comfortable with Presidents constantly answerable to the whim of even 60% of the voters. Presidents have to make tough decisions sometimes and if an amendment like that had been in the Constitution all the time, I think many would have had their terms cut short.

That last one, honestly, even if I didn't think that was an amendment specifically inspired by Trump, which is a very bad idea I think to design an amendment out of the prejudices of the moment (though Amendment 22 may have been the FDR amendment). Still even if I agreed, it's too vague. How do you define "incompetence" and "corruption"? And who is in charge of fact-checking? And what are the consequences? You would have to define something like this very precisely. Presidents and federal officials can already be impeached, so what would this add?

19 minutes ago, servo75 said:

That first one, not sure how you enforce it or prove that someone is "not using it for militia purposes." Militia is nothing more than a group self-defense which is what 2A is for.

It's already so that only Congress can declare war. We haven't had a declared war since WW2 though that's not a Constitutional issue I think.

What rights do women not have? You should at least specify. Otherwise it's too vague to be enforceable.

Recalls can be problematic. I assume you would mean 60% of the Electoral College, right? The specifics of that would have to be spelt out. I'm not comfortable with Presidents constantly answerable to the whim of even 60% of the voters. Presidents have to make tough decisions sometimes and if an amendment like that had been in the Constitution all the time, I think many would have had their terms cut short.

That last one, honestly, even if I didn't think that was an amendment specifically inspired by Trump, which is a very bad idea I think to design an amendment out of the prejudices of the moment (though Amendment 22 may have been the FDR amendment). Still even if I agreed, it's too vague. How do you define "incompetence" and "corruption"? And who is in charge of fact-checking? And what are the consequences? You would have to define something like this very precisely. Presidents and federal officials can already be impeached, so what would this add?

Basically, a gun couldn't be brought out of the house, aside from hunting, unless the governor calls the militia. A militia is a force that is raised by a governmental order. That would be when the guns are allowed to be carried in public areas. 

In regards to war, I am making it a Constitutional issue. War should have been declared numerous times. This hypothetical convention would define it. 

In regards to rights women don't have. Try googling, "What equal rights do women not have?". I'll define these later and how it will be enforced. Basically, it will be enforced just how equal rights and civil rights are currently enforced. Although this could be stricter too 

Recall would not be via the electoral vote. In fact, I hope that's abolished. Right now your opinion means nothing. We are making a list of proposed amendment, even if we aren't serious about them. Then they will be improved, defined, and voted on by this forum, which leans far more left than you do politically. 

The last one will be defined or have a way that can lead to defining it. It isn't a "prejudice of the moment." We've had too many scandals, too many corrupt politicians, too many bald face lies--regardless of party. Trump is just one politician that's unethical, immoral, and corrupt. Impeachment and conviction will likely be easier to impose in an amendment. Hopefully, this will drive away unethical people from running. 

You don't seem to understand the point of this exercise. We propose amendments we may or may not agree with. At some point, they'll be fleshed out, then we will vote on them. Basically, we are carving out our own individual utopias and hoping that majority of the forum members vote on our ideas. 

Feel free to add more ideas for Amendments. We will polish up the language and better define the amendments later. I'll be including the historical Amendment, but we are going to assume the slate is clean to recreate the Federal Government and its relations to the states.