270soft Forum

What's more likely, Trump or Biden withdrawing before the election?

What's more likely, Trump or Biden withdrawing before the election?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What's more likely, Trump or Biden withdrawing before the election?

• Trump
    • Biden
    • Both

I'd say 90% chance neither; 7% chance Trump; 2% Biden; 1% Both. 

If Biden drops out it's because of a health issue, but he might be healthier than Trump, although neither are in great shape, mentally or physically. 

I think if Trump drops out its because he has no shot at winning and would rather drop out than officially go on record as the loser of an election. 

I don't think sex scandals will see either drop out.

39 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Where's the "neither" option?

Neither is an obvious option. He's asking which of these unlikely scenarios are most likely to happen.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think if Trump drops out its because he has no shot at winning and would rather drop out than officially go on record as the loser of an election. 

Not that going down as the first major party candidate to drop right before the election would be a bright spot either

4 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Not that going down as the first major party candidate to drop right before the election would be a bright spot either

It wouldn't, but I could see it being better in Trump's mind. He won't be the answer to the question, "Name the GOP nominee that lost the 2020 election?"

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

He had no shot of winning in 2016 either.

Donald Trump will never admit defeat.  

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Trump gave up much more to run for President than Biden did.

Yeah, poor guy definitely hasn’t made a shit ton of money by constantly going to Trump properties with his entourage and charging the govt top price for each trip.

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Yeah, poor guy definitely hasn’t made a shit ton of money by constantly going to Trump properties with his entourage and charging the govt top price for each trip.

The same guy who has given away all of his federal salary? The same guy who has effectively frozen his business (worth in the billions)?

Any money made in the way you are describing would be a pittance relative to his net worth and what he could have made otherwise.

Trump had about as good a life as you can imagine before running for President. A billionaire with a beautiful wife and loving kids, who could do basically whatever he wanted to, whenever.

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

The same guy who has given away all of his federal salary? The same guy who has effectively frozen his business (worth in the billions)?

Any money made in the way you are describing would be a pittance relative to his net worth and what he could have made otherwise.

Trump had about as good a life as you can imagine before running for President. A billionaire with a beautiful wife and loving kids, who could do basically whatever he wanted to, whenever.

With an ego that demands he be treated like a king.

Like...I don’t know why you keep pretending he’s some benevolent guy doing this out of the goodness of his heart.  You are wasting your time defending a monster, and it reflects poorly on you as a person.

• Like 2
Just now, Actinguy said:

Like...I don’t know why you keep pretending he’s some benevolent guy doing this out of the goodness of his heart.  You are wasting your time defending a monster, and it reflects poorly on you as a person.

Because I've studied him more than you have. He ran for President because he wanted to help his country. Oh ya, and he also has a big ego, which is why he thought he could actually win.

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Actinguy said:

I don’t know what this means.  How have you studied him?  In what capacity?  In what ways is that different from how I have?

Watched large numbers of interviews with him, speeches he has given, books re him, and so on. Followed his campaign closely in 2015-6.

The number of factual gaffes you make re him suggest you don't really know what you're talking about.

• Haha 1
Just now, admin_270 said:

Watched large numbers of interviews with him, speeches he has given, books re him, and so on. Followed his campaign closely in 2015-6.

The number of factual gaffes you make re him suggest you don't really know what you're talking about.

Or  maybe @Actinguy @vcczar and I just don't drink copious amounts of the "Orange Kool-Aid."

• Like 2
Just now, Patine said:

Or  maybe @Actinguy @vcczar and I just don't drink copious amounts of the "Orange Kool-Aid."

Totally possible. I could be wrong in my conclusions. Maybe I'm just drinking 'Orange Kool-Aid'. But I'm a pretty rational, dispassionate guy. I don't even consider myself pro-Trump, although I'm inclined towards certain policies pursued by Trump in their general outline.

It's only when surrounded by people who sound a lot like they're afflicted to varying degrees with TDS that my views become stark.

Note that Actingguy (or you, for that matter) rarely contest factual assertions I make successfully (although, to be sure, sometimes I get things wrong). When it gets down to it, it's mostly ad hominem attacks ("reflects poorly on you", and so on).

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

He ran for President because he wanted to help his country. 

I doubt this was at the top of his list of reasons. He's probably making more money, and likely will once he's defeated in November if he isn't now, than he ever put into his own campaign. Running for president was a long-term investment. On top of this, he has the office of the presidency to figure out how he's going to strategize his business once President Biden takes the oath of office. I can only think of one example in which Trump did not act with self-service, and even then it was self-service. The beloved skating rink in Central Park was set to be destroyed. He saved it, but then also renamed it after himself. Fair enough, however. The only other time he seems to act with some level of genuine aspect outside of himself was when Ted Cruz bashed NYers at a primary debate. In Trump's most presidential moment, Trump defended the courage and American-spirit of NYers on 9/11. It was the only time in his candidacy that I thought there was a chance that he might make a better president than advertised. 

I think he may conflate his own personal business interests with what's best for his country. That's the only way I can see this statement of your making any sense in regards to Trump. I don't think he's shown any evidence of this being his priority. This is especially highlighted by the fact that his rhetoric and sometimes actions are rarely geared for the benefit of most Americans. He plays to his own cult following---at best a 35% of the country. Obama's policies at least tried to embrace his entire party and when he spoke, he tried to show why these were beneficial to the entire country both in the president, but especially in the future. Trump openly tries to shut people out or combat those that aren't on board. I'm not sure how one "helps their country" by catering to yes-men followers. Obama routinely upset his base by reaching to moderates, which isn't unusual. Almost every non-Trump president did that because they had to cater to the center of American politics as best they can to help the country. 

This is not to say that some of what Trump wants to do could be best for the country, as much as I don't see the rationale for it. However, I think it is more a byproduct or coincidence that it might align with whatever self-servicing thing Trump has in mind for himself. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, admin_270 said:

@vcczar Thoughtful, fair comment. I think reasonable people can disagree on this.

This is kind of a backhanded way of saying @Actinguy and I are not reasonable people, and brushing under the carpet, and even denying, the large number of unreasonable posts and opinions you've made of late, and would not back down from, even when very rational arguments, and even facts were presented.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

What factual gaffes has @Actinguy made? He seems to be fairly good with facts. The disagreement is probably the opinions on the analyses regarding those facts.  I've probably followed Trump at least 75% as much as you have. We come to different conclusions. 

6 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Totally possible. I could be wrong in my conclusions. Maybe I'm just drinking 'Orange Kool-Aid'. But I'm a pretty rational, dispassionate guy. I don't even consider myself pro-Trump, although I'm inclined towards certain policies pursued by Trump in their general outline.

It's only when surrounded by people who sound a lot like they're afflicted to varying degrees with TDS that my views become stark.

Note that Actingguy (or you, for that matter) rarely contest factual assertions I make successfully (although, to be sure, sometimes I get things wrong). When it gets down to it, it's mostly ad hominem attacks ("reflects poorly on you", and so on).

Maybe it's a Canadian thing. But if we printed out every comment you've made on Trump, aside from these supposedly agnostic declarations, I'd argue 88% of Americans would think you were pro-Trump. They'd see a guy who defends Trump 8 out of 10 times. Might not have ever defended Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden. Spends a lot of time either playing devil's advocate, or is having a hard time remaining agnostic on Trump's views, even on controversial topics such as race and bigotry. I try to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are agnostic on these things, that there is some sort of cultural difference in how a Canadian is "politically agnostic" compared to how an American is, etc. However, if I saw anyone respounding consistently in defense to a canidates--Trump, Obama, Bush, Clintons, Sanders, AOC, Cruz, etc. I'd be hard pressed to believe they probably aren't agnostic.  I think one reason for this is that American politics are hyper-partisan and maybe Canadian politics are not. Perhaps that explains it. Fence-sitting doesn't really happen in the US anymore and people rarely defend people or things that they are "dispassionate" about. 

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

This is kind of a backhanded way of saying @Actinguy and I are not reasonable people, and brushing under the carpet, and even denying, the large number of unreasonable posts and opinions you've made of late, and would not back down from, even when very rational arguments, and even facts were presented.

Not intended that way. You're very thoughtful, @Patine . Indeed, perhaps too thoughtful - I can't parse your comments usually, and am left looking for the tl;dr.