270soft Forum

Could Kanye Ever Seriously Enter Politics?

Does anyone else think that Kanye West’s complete transformation from his earlier image could signal that he’s serious about having political ambitions? In the 2000s, Kanye’s “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” statement was a rallying cry for many and is known well in popular culture to the modern day. He’s also famously criticized Obama for having accomplished little of his promised change. 

Kanye’s friendship with Trump is very strange. Trump has given Kanye a platform in the White House to speak about prison reform, drug use, and other issues important in the black community. Kanye has transformed his image completely in the past five years: He has denounced his inappropriate rapping past, and his gospel rap album is popular in youth groups. He dons the red hat and conservative news outlets cover him MUCH more favorably than they did. 

On top of Kanye’s transformation, his wife Kim has revamped her image a lot as well. She’s always been political, but she’s now attended law school late in her life. Kanye talked often about running for president in 2020, and when he became a Trump supporter he changed his tune to 2024. It just seems too convenient for him to revamp his entire media personality. 

I could see it, I'm not sure where he fits or how successful he could be, not at campaigning so to speak or getting elected to anything, but as an actual politican making policy and having bills passed. 

As far as campaigning goes...I wouldn't want to run against him. I think he'd probably be pretty good at that. 

All that being said he did just sign a deal with Gap for clothing. I think it'll be a bit before he does enter politics, should he decide to. That being said he could absolutely be an influential(he is already) public figure and tap his foot into politics that way even more than he has.

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

Absolutely not.

But neither could Donald Trump.

If nothing else, Kanye has done more to signal his potential political ambition than Trump ever did, and he’s changed up his image quite a bit in recent years. He wouldn’t be quite Trump, but definitely very similar. 

2 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

I could see it, I'm not sure where he fits or how successful he could be, not at campaigning so to speak or getting elected to anything, but as an actual politican making policy and having bills passed. 

As far as campaigning goes...I wouldn't want to run against him. I think he'd probably be pretty good at that. 

All that being said he did just sign a deal with Gap for clothing. I think it'll be a bit before he does enter politics, should he decide to. That being said he could absolutely be an influential(he is already) public figure and tap his foot into politics that way even more than he has.

I share that sentiment. He’d probably have some of the most exciting rallies of the 21st century, but would lack the actual policy knowledge and technical knowledge to create legislation. Then again, much of that is pawned off on legislative aids nowadays anyway. His Gap deal does seem to signal that he’s more focused on his business dealings for the next few years. 

I think it's totally possible for Kanye to enter the political scene, when? Who knows. He would probably just jump straight to the primaries and try to the win the nomination. He has the money and the name recognition to do it. If Trump did it, why can't he? 

4 hours ago, Wiw said:

I dunno, he might end up being a Senator one day.

Senator West, kinda has a ring to it. Where would he actually run if he went for a Senate seat? I would write more, but I get too into it sometimes so I'll leave it here.

31 minutes ago, Cenzonico said:

I think it's totally possible for Kanye to enter the political scene, when? Who knows. He would probably just jump straight to the primaries and try to the win the nomination. He has the money and the name recognition to do it. If Trump did it, why can't he? 

Senator West, kinda has a ring to it. Where would he actually run if he went for a Senate seat? I would write more, but I get too into it sometimes so I'll leave it here.

He was born in Atlanta, grew up in Chicago, and has a big house in LA.  He's got options.

17 minutes ago, pilight said:

He was born in Atlanta, grew up in Chicago, and has a big house in LA.  He's got options.

I know, I would have gone into it but I get invested when I comes to typing, it would be a whole wall of text. California would be the most interesting option. We put Schwarzenegger in the Governor's Mansion after all.

2 hours ago, Cenzonico said:

I know, I would have gone into it but I get invested when I comes to typing, it would be a whole wall of text. California would be the most interesting option. We put Schwarzenegger in the Governor's Mansion after all.

Feinstein can't live forever!

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Does anyone else think that Kanye West’s complete transformation from his earlier image could signal that he’s serious about having political ambitions? In the 2000s, Kanye’s “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” statement was a rallying cry for many and is known well in popular culture to the modern day. He’s also famously criticized Obama for having accomplished little of his promised change. 

Kanye’s friendship with Trump is very strange. Trump has given Kanye a platform in the White House to speak about prison reform, drug use, and other issues important in the black community. Kanye has transformed his image completely in the past five years: He has denounced his inappropriate rapping past, and his gospel rap album is popular in youth groups. He dons the red hat and conservative news outlets cover him MUCH more favorably than they did. 

On top of Kanye’s transformation, his wife Kim has revamped her image a lot as well. She’s always been political, but she’s now attended law school late in her life. Kanye talked often about running for president in 2020, and when he became a Trump supporter he changed his tune to 2024. It just seems too convenient for him to revamp his entire media personality. 

Celebrities in politics is a bad idea all around. It doesn't even matter what they believe. I feel the way most of them live, and the limited and filtered way they interact with the world, makes them worse choices than some opinionated "nobody," with bright ideas off the street, to be honest.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Patine said:

Celebrities in politics is a bad idea all around. It doesn't even matter what they believe. I feel the way most of them live, and the limited and filtered way they interact with the world, makes them worse choices than some opinionated "nobody," with bright ideas off the street, to be honest.

I think that you’ll find yourself in the majority of 270soft users there. 

29 minutes ago, Patine said:

I doubt the average celebrity is any more separated from reality than the multi-millionaire politicians that typically run.  I remember when George HW Bush not only didn't know the price of a gallon of milk, he didn't have enough frame of reference to even hazard a guess.

50 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

I’m the new Nate Silver 🤷‍♂️

Herb why did you do this to us 😭

My respect for Elon Musk is now zero. America is becoming a nightmare, politically speaking. Although, I think Kanye West would be better than Trump as president, at least rhetorically. 

Ugh...

Kanye West is also an open Trump supporter, so it's almost an overt spoiler campaign if he gears his campaign to drain Biden votes; however, possibly because of his Trump support, he could actually drain Trump votes. 

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Apparently West has not filed with the FEC at all, lending credence to the idea that this is just a publicity stunt. 

Yeah he hasn't, if does he will have to work hard on getting ballot access.

Well, if he's serious, then I think this is ultimately what America deserves. Once you've let one celebrity narcissist become president, the Pandora's Box is open

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Cenzonico said:

Yeah he hasn't, if does he will have to work hard on getting ballot access.

The question is does he really have to work hard? In states like Florida and Texas, he would need to procure 130,000 signed petitions in two weeks. That is most definitely difficult but he has the name recognition and money to set people up to go house to house. After that, he has about a month to get the required minimum in other states. He just became a billionaire a month ago, he'd add to the list of people who want to "make a change" and take advantage with their money. 

On filing FEC, yeah I noticed that too, I don't know how hard it is to file with the FEC but if nothing comes up in a week then we're sure this is a publicity stunt for God's Country. But hey whatever, this is still fun.

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

My respect for Elon Musk is now zero. America is becoming a nightmare, politically speaking. Although, I think Kanye West would be better than Trump as president, at least rhetorically. 

Ugh...

Kanye West is also an open Trump supporter, so it's almost an overt spoiler campaign if he gears his campaign to drain Biden votes; however, possibly because of his Trump support, he could actually drain Trump votes. 

He denounced Trump a while back, he apparently threw away all the hats too and was secretly donating to Democratic party officials and campaigns during that entire time. People close to his camp said in interviews stuff like he just wanted to help Alice Marie Johnson and to bring up the issues in Chicago to Trump. He just marched in South Side Chicago with BLM and helped pay for George Floyd's funeral and gave his family money. He's pretty opposite to Trump in every way politically, supports M4A, gun control, progressive tax reform, etc. 

I doubt it'd drain Biden votes or Trump votes, Kanye is a joke vote, it's a protest vote, it's like writing in Harambe in 2016. I am a big fan but this is the honest to god facts, this is a protest vote people could rally around cause it's one that blaring says "this two party system sucks, both of the candidates suck" by having a significant portion of the population vote for someone like Kanye, the anti of everything that works politically, Donald Trump works politically, hes a populist, nothing about Kanye works politically. If you care that much about ousting Trump, you will vote Biden no matter what, if you are on the "Trump train" and in Trump's cult, you will vote Trump regardless, only millennials and non-voters will bother with voting Kanye, cause they're disenfranchised.

31 minutes ago, wolves said:

The question is does he really have to work hard? In states like Florida and Texas, he would need to procure 130,000 signed petitions in two weeks. That is most definitely difficult but he has the name recognition and money to set people up to go house to house. After that, he has about a month to get the required minimum in other states. He just became a billionaire a month ago, he'd add to the list of people who want to "make a change" and take advantage with their money. 

On filing FEC, yeah I noticed that too, I don't know how hard it is to file with the FEC but if nothing comes up in a week then we're sure this is a publicity stunt for God's Country. But hey whatever, this is still fun.

What exactly do you mean by the term, "God's Country," exactly? I'm just curious.