270soft Forum

Top 8 270soft Members by Content

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm sorry, but it is (or was).

WAS. Lol,completely was, until 2017 basically (So around right after he won). I was definitely a misguided 16/young 17 year old, from a small rural town. Until I got into politics myself, and not just going along with the status quo of my area, and doing my own research and such, However I was still a Bernie supporter in 2016, I was more so an underdog supporter is why I even near supported Trump. My policy however has always been left, though I continually move further to the left the more I have my own independent thought. I don't despise anybody more than I do Trump now. It was a time of growth for me. Going to college, and living on my own and developing my own thought is why I ever came close to that. @Actinguy

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought this was interesting. Here's the top content providers: @mantis 15,036 (hasn't been active since 2011---9 years reigning champion at the least) @Patine 13,757 (active leader)

For some reason - it was turned off, probably because of an update along the way. Added Upvote, Thanks, Haha, and Confused reactions. First 3 give +1 to reputation. 👍

This is great because we can show that we've read a post without having to actually respond with a typed comment. 

Posted Images

Just now, admin_270 said:

'Dogwhistle' means it's a theory people like Reagan04 have. To most people in the U.S. who agree with it, it means what it says.

Are you just denying the existence of dogwhistles in this response?

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I thought all the remaining "Dixiecrats," jumped ship to the GOP, leaving only the "Moderate," Blue Dogs down there...

Common misconception, I'll give a Canadian a pass for repeating the old party switcheroo myth.

Just now, TheMiddlePolitical said:

WAS. Lol,completely was, until 2017 basically (So around right after he won). I was definetly a misguided 16/young 17 year old, from a small rural town. Until I got into politics myself, and not just going along with the status quo of my area, and doing my own research and such, However I was still a Bernie supporter in 2016, I was more so an underdog supporter is why I even near supported Trump. My policy however has always been left, though I continually move further to the left the more I have my own independent thought. 

Don't feel bad. As strange and shocking as this may sound, when I was that age (in the very early '90's) I was a big supporter of the Reform Party of Canada and an admirer of George H.W. Bush in the United States. Sounds very hard to believe, now, doesn't it?

5 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

That makes sense actually. I guess he was so shaken up by it that his mind wasn't clear enough for him to think it up until 15 years AFTER 9/11 but sure.. let's hide behind 9/11 and let bigotry have a pass.

Not sure what you're claiming here. I'm saying Trump's anti-Muslim bias has to do with 9/11, not racial animus.

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Not to mention quoting a Dixiecratic Police Chief in his intial response.

Yeah that was a pretty bad move, but I didn't know this was actually a quotation. I learned that when the media said so. I never heard of the police chief either, so at first back then I didn't think about it too much.

To be honest I also read it different. I thought he meant "When the people start looting, they'll also start shooting soon." I interpreted it as a warning about more violent unrests at first. Later I realized actually he meant to shoot back at them.

Not sure what you're claiming here. I'm saying Trump's anti-Muslim bias has to do with 9/11, not racial animus.

This is not a valid excuse. I'm really not sure what you're getting at here other than justifying bigotry that has very real racial connotations as well as religious ones? Trump isn't exactly a theocrat, but he is a xenophobe.

Are you just denying the existence of dogwhistles in this response?

You have to establish intent for this. The Trump campaign has put significant efforts into wooing black Americans. Why would he undo all that intentionally? It doesn't make sense. His Law and Order campaign is all about ... law and order. Not having rioting, looting, murdering, and so on. It's a popular position because ... most people don't want that either.

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

I'm not fully convinced. I think capitalizing on fear-mongering and prejudice worked up by media propaganda machines was a big part of it, but nothing at all pragmatic.

2 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Later I realized actually he meant to shoot back at them.

Trump claims this was a warning about the inevitable results of looting - that people will get shot.

You have to establish intent for this. The Trump campaign has put significant efforts into wooing black Americans. Why would he undo all that intentionally? It doesn't make sense. His Law and Order campaign is all about ... law and order. Not having rioting, looting, murdering, and so on. It's a popular position because ... most people don't want that either.

If a racially White Muslim from Bosnia and Herzegovina arrived at a U.S. airport during that ban using a Slovenian passport, how much static do you think they'd get?

Law and Order has been a dogwhistle for controlling black people since the 50s, that's an indisputable fact.

The Trump campaign has done extremely poorly if they're trying to "woo" black voters. I mean that is simply a laughable assertion. Trump will likely beat his own record for the worst performance among black voters ever for a Republican against a White Democrat. 

• Like 1

he is a xenophobe

Trump has repeatedly praised legal immigration, and wants to expand it. And odd position for a xenophobe, no?

Trump is a meritocrat. He wants the best people in the world moving to the U.S. He wants to replace the current U.S. immigration system with a points-based system, similar to the ones in Canada or Australia.

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Trump has repeatedly praised legal immigration, and wants to expand it. And odd position for a xenophobe, no?

Trump is a meritocrat. He wants the best people in the world moving to the U.S. He wants to replace the current U.S. immigration system with a points-based system, similar to the ones in Canada or Australia.

Is that an attempt at deadpan, sardonic humour?

34 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I mean that is simply a laughable assertion.

Then you clearly haven't been following the Trump campaign closely. Before recent events, you had Van Jones on CNN warning Dems not to be complacement re blacks, and outlining the Trump campaign's strategy for taking significant %s from the Dems.

Unless of course they're muslim or brown. Because the "best people" are innately white. Trump has consitently criticized legal immigration and is actively making it harder for people to do so. NOT TO MENTION the incredible way he has attacked the rights of people who entered the country illegaly. 

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Trump claims this was a warning about the inevitable results of looting - that people will get shot.

Yeah that was the way I read it at first. Later I realized most people seemed to interpret it differently so I simply thought my language skills might have gotten this wrong.

Then you clearly haven't been following the Trump campaign closely. Before recent events, you had Van Jones on CNN warning Dems not to be complacement re blacks, and outlining the Trump campaigns strategy for taking significant %s from the Dems.

A strategy that is blatantly ineffective. It appears that you haven't been keeping your pulse on the black community and the political vibe of the nation.

YOU are the person saying this.

No, point in fact, Trump said it.

22 minutes ago, Patine said:

I first signed onto these forums in my '30's, frankly. Of course, when I was 15, the Internet, as it was, had only several thousand users globally, required non-integral modems that blocked up your phoneline, made that horrid "Matrix," fax noise, took forever to connect, charged ridiculous long-distance fees, was ALL unifont text (usually green on a black background, also like in "the Matrix"), and there were no search engines or web addresses - you had to know the EXACT IP address you were connecting to. :P

The first forum I ever regularly posted in was a Civil War Yahoo forum c. 1996 (possibly 1995). I was in High School. I was then in the Paradox Europa Universalis forum and the Sierra's Civil War General Forum during the late 90's early 00's. I actually helped make DLC for EU2 and I helped make Civil War General 3, which never came out. From about 2003-2011, I didn't go to any online forums or message boards until I joined this one. 

3 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

wants the best people in the world moving to the U.S.

Yeah if the skin color or your country of origin doesn't matter it's a good concept I guess. Otherwise it's nonsense. If so, that's like to say: I want a white neighbor who has an extensive record of going to jail rather to live next to a black person, who is absolutely kind. This is insane. 

5 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Law and Order has been a dogwhistle for controlling black people since the 50s, that's an indisputable fact.

The Trump campaign has done extremely poorly if they're trying to "woo" black voters. I mean that is simply a laughable assertion. Trump will likely beat his own record for the worst performance among black voters ever for a Republican against a White Democrat. 

I think Evans Hughes was the last Republican to get a serious edge on the percentage of Black voter over a Democrat (Wilson) in 1916 (104 years ago) - though only a small number of Blacks voted in that election...

5 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Not at all. Is there something specific in it that's incorrect?

4 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

A strategy that is blatantly ineffective. It appears that you haven't been keeping your pulse on the black community and the political vibe of the nation.

1 minute ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Yeah if the skin color or your country of origin doesn't matter it's a good concept I guess. Otherwise it's nonsense. If so, that's like to say: I want a white neighbor who has an extensive record of going to jail rather to live next to a black person, who is absolutely kind. This is insane. 

Reminds me of an INFAMOUS British campaign ad that came to global attention in the '60's by a single Conservative candidate in their own riding alone:

"If you want a n****r for a neighbour, vote for Labour,

If you want to feel safe where you live, vote Conservative."