270soft Forum

Washington DC Statehood Poll and other polls

Washington DC Statehood Poll  

20 members have voted

1. 1. DC already gets to vote in presidential elections like a state, it is more populous than two current states, it would virtually guarantee two African-American Democratic senators and a US Rep. Should DC be granted statehood?

• Yes, DC should be the 51st US State
    • No, but DC should be annexed to Maryland, which would at least give them a real representation in Congress with a US Rep, but will removed the electoral votes.
    • No, but DC should be annexed to Virginia, which would at least give them a real representation in Congress with a US Rep, but will removed the electoral votes. Doing this would also guarantee Virginia's blue state status for years.
    • No, DC is basically just a city (well, two cities merged into each other), and they don't deserve two Senators who will just pack the Senate for Democrats.
    • Other *For Patine*
  2. 2. On a similar note, should Puerto RIco, which would be the 31st largest state, be granted statehood? This would also result in two Democratic Senators and likely 4 Dem US Reps

• Yes, they have been US citizens for about 100 years and they have more people than 19 current US states.
    • No, primarily because it stacks Congress for the Democrats
    • No, primarily because their Culture is more Latin American than European-American
    • No, because we'd have to change the US Flag and add seats and tables to the congressional chambers.
    • Other *For Patine*
  3. 3. Should any of the following state creations or state reductions occur?

• California should be broken up into two or three states
    • Texas should be broken up into three or more states
    • North Dakota and South Dakota should merge
    • Wyoming, Montana and Idaho should merge
    • West Virginia should be restored to Virginia
    • NYC should be its own state
    • Long Island should be its own state
    • Staten Island should be transferred from NYC to New Jersey
    • East Connecticut should secede and join New York
    • Maine should return to Massachusetts
    • Florida should be split into two states
    • All states should be fragmented into their counties, creating thousands of states. (Congress would be held via the internet.)
    • States should merge into about 7 Super States (Regions)
    • Abolish states. Mayors will be regulated by regional governors elected by the region but who have no real executive authority besides oversight and appointing delegates to Congress. US Senate is abolished. House delegates are appointed by regional governors. The number of delegates are determined by that region's % of national population, giving a standard of 100 delegates to Congress total at all times. Federal government overrides all local or regional laws at any time.
    • No changes.
    • Other *For Patine*
  4. 4. Who would you at least slightly prefer more as President?

• Trump
    • Biden
    • They are 100% equally great, mediocre, or terrible. It is impossible to choose one over the other based on evidence of their political history and rhetoric. *For Patine*
  5. 5. How do you identify ideologically, whether you are Democrat, Republican, or Independent? Pick whichever closest fits you.

• Progressive (think Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, AOC)
    • Liberal (think Biden, Obama, Pelosi, Hillary Clinton)
    • Moderate Left (think Sinema, Manchin, Pres-era. Bill Clinton, VP-era Al Gore, Steve Bullock, Jim Webb)
    • Moderate Right (Colin Powell, Trump-era John Kasich and Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, Charlie Baker, Larry Hogan, late John McCain)
    • Conservative (Marco Rubio, Mitch McConnell, John Thune)
    • Traditionalist (Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, Rand Paul, Dan Crenshaw, Mike Pence)
    • Populist Nationalist (Donald Trump, Steve Bannon, Kris Kobach, Steve King)
    • None of this remotely capture me ideologically, so there isn't a "closest that fits me." *For Patine*

5 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Ha.  Now I wonder what I said.

We don't have to rehash the conversations. This isn't a group therapy session (and we're lacking an actual therapist, anyways). I'm willing to take the high road and move on - because, as I said recently, I really mostly want to make custom election scenarios.

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

We don't have to rehash the conversations. This isn't a group therapy session (and we're lacking an actual therapist, anyways). I'm willing to take the high road and move on - because, as I said recently, I really mostly want to make custom election scenarios.

Ha, I actually meant just for my own curiosity.  I actually went back to try to find it.  I couldn’t, but I did find a lot of interesting old threads I’d forgotten about.

37 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Ya, but it's not the *land*. It's the State. States with very little land have just as many Senators as States with lots of land.

36 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Basically, it seems you're arguing that States in themselves ought not to matter very much in influencing Federal policy. Totally coherent view, but it's not *land*.

I understand the issue with my terminology. I'm basically using states and land interchangeably, which is usually used when people say "land doesn't vote." They mean, and I mean, "States ought not to matter so much in influencing federal policy." They get influence via US Reps

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm basically using states and land interchangeably, which is usually used when people say "land doesn't vote."

Right, but it's an incorrect equivalence. If someone were advocating land getting votes, Alaska would have way more Senators than all other States.

I understand the people that say no to DC being a state and getting 2 senators cause then they would be overrepresented. But that's just the flaw of the system. Wyoming gets guaranteed 2 GOP senators which is has a lower population than DC. Alaska has virtually the same population, that's 2 GOP senators guaranteed. So frankly it would only be fair to give democrats another state with 2 guaranteed senators. Let's pretend that there are an equal amount of states that are guaranteed 2 dems and 2 GOP. Still wouldn't be fair because a majority of the guarenteed dem states are all much higher ppulations than majority of the GOP states. It is a fundamental flaw.

I agree with ideas pitched in this thread to make it more of a proportional thing like the house. Even keeping it at 100 and just making each state have between 1-3 senators based on population is a much fairer way to go about it. Abolishing the senate is an option, but I do think the separate legislative bodies are important as they do have different powers and roles. 

I'm not entirely convinced that Puerto Rico would be a 100% Democratic pickup.

The leading pro-statehood party has elected members that caucus with both the Republicans and the Democrats. Since I'm also not entirely convinced local Puerto Rican parties would be subsumed into mainstream US political parties for some time, I think it's rather likely that Puerto Rico will end up getting closer to 50/50 in Congress, potentially, depending on where the PNP (New Progressive Party) candidates end up falling in the political spectrum, and whether they would lose anywhere to the opposition parties, there.

I think a re-branding of the message for Puerto Rican statehood like that, as a new possible swing-state, might increase the odds that it gains statehood in the near future, significantly.

I'm, of course, in favor of Puerto Rican statehood if they want it, and believe in a D.C. solution where they at least get a voting seat in the House of Representatives, if nothing else (Out of all the options presented, however, I'd prefer they receive statehood).