270soft Forum

Averaged 100 Most Influential People

I averaged four rankings together: The famous one by Michael Hart, that odd list from Who's Bigger that I posted in another thread, an A&E Biography list, and one that I had created a few years ago. 

Here is the average ranking:

#  
1 Jesus
2 Muhammad
3 Isaac Newton
4 Aristotle
5 Charles Darwin
6 Karl Marx
7 St. Paul
8 Christopher Columbus
9 William Shakespeare
10 Albert Einstein
11 Martin Luther
12 George Washington
13 Buddha
14 Galileo
15 Adolf Hitler
16 Augustus Caesar
17 Thomas Edison
18 Napoleon Bonaparte
19 Nicolaus Copernicus
20 Genghis Khan
21 Plato
22 Adam Smith
23 Johannes Gutenberg
24 Louis Pasteur
25 Rene Descartes
26 Constantine the Great
27 Julius Caesar
28 Abraham Lincoln
29 Euclid
30 Moses
31 Cai Lun
32 Alexander Graham Bell
33 Thomas Jefferson
34 Alexander the Great
35 Johann S Bach
36 Wright Bros
37 Elizabeth I
38 Joseph Stalin
39 Mohandes Gandhi
40 Ludwig Van Beethoven
41 John Locke
42 Confucius
43 Gregor Mendel
44 James Watt
45 Sigmund Freud
46 Francis Bacon
47 Qin Shi Huang
48 Charlemagne
49 Alexander Fleming
50 Michelangelo
51 William Harvey
52 Leonard da Vinci
53 Immanuel Kant
54 Gulielmo Marconi
55 Voltaire
56 William the Conqueror
57 Werner Heisenberg
58 Antoine L Lavoisier
59 Franklin, Watson, Crick
60 John Calvin
61 Edward Jenner
62 Jean-Jacques Rousseau
63 Vladimir Lenin
64 St. Augustine
65 Mao Zedong
66 John Dalton
67 Simon Bolivar
68 W A Mozart
69 Enrico Fermi
70 Socrates
71 Marie Curie
72 James Clerk Maxwell
73 Benjamin Franklin
74 Franklin D Roosevelt
75 Charles Babbage
76 Ferdinand Magellan
77 Michael Faraday
78 St Thomas Aquinas
79 Winston Churchill
80 Oliver Cromwell
81 Niccolo Machiavelli
82 Ernest Rutherford
83 Antony van Leeuwenhoek
84 Max Planck
85 William C Roentgen
86 Umar ibn al-Khattab
87 The Beatles
88 Johannes Kepler
89 Ronald Reagan
90 Henry Ford
91 Homer
92 Elvis Presley
93 Martin Luther King Jr
94 Alexander Hamilton
95 Dante Alighieri
96 Hammurabi
97 Cicero
98 Louis Daguerre
99 Archimedes
100 Ashoka

I'm surprised that Khan, FDR and MLK aren't higher. Also surprised by how high Marx is. 

I get a kick out of The Beatles making top 100. I think they are more deserving than Elvis, so I guess I get a kick out of Elvis in the top 100 too.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

@Actinguy @SilentLiberty @Herbert Hoover @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @jvikings1 @Hestia11 and anyone else that might want to talk about this averaged list. 

8 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I'm surprised that Khan, FDR and MLK aren't higher. Also surprised by how high Marx is. 

I get a kick out of The Beatles making top 100. I think they are more deserving than Elvis, so I guess I get a kick out of Elvis in the top 100 too.

I'm surprised Hammurabi's near the bottom. I mean, he introduced the first written, publicly accessible, and consistently enforced law code, and the first currency (the Old Babylonian shekel) anywhere near as we understand economically in verified recorded world history. I think, in terms of historical influence, that puts him head-and-shoulders above a few ranking higher on that list - some even ranking much higher.

16 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I'm surprised about FDR and Khan. MLK makes more sense as he's more regional than internationally influential. Khan is arguably the same. Both FDR and Marx are completely global in their influence. Elvis even in a top 250 list would shock me. The Beatles make sense in the same way Shakespeare makes sense. Their influence and lasting impact in their respective fields are untouchable. Almost all bands have more in common with the Beatles (who had a ton of range) than they did with any bands prior. Like Shakespeare, you aren't going to run into someone who has never heard of the Beatles. I can't think of any other band that could possibly make a top 100 list either. 

@Patine Yeah, Hammurabi should be higher up the list. Some people that make lists try to consider if their accomplishment is something that would have been invented soon without them, had other people inventing it at the same time, and things like that. There was an earlier Sumarian Code, but it was more specific and expansive. 

8 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

As much as I love him idk if Reagan should be on here. Marcus Aurelius should though.

Which Marcus Aurelius? There are three prominent and important men throughout Roman history with that name.

28 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

As much as I love him idk if Reagan should be on here. Marcus Aurelius should though.

I agree that Reagan shouldn't be on the list. 

Here's some facts on this list:

• 88% European
  • 98% Male
  • 13% English (largest group) and 32% English-Speaking Peoples (ENglish, Scottish, American, New Zealander)
1 hour ago, Patine said:

Which Marcus Aurelius? There are three prominent and important men throughout Roman history with that name.

The philosopher and emperor.

1 hour ago, Herbert Hoover said:

I'm guessing you're just upset you're not on this list either ;) 

I should be right under (republican) jesus but definitely over that libral cuck tard isaac newton thinking hes so smart with his science n sheit *spits chaw, misses spittoon by six inches*

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I should be right under (republican) jesus but definitely over that libral cuck tard isaac newton thinking hes so smart with his science n sheit *spits chaw, misses spittoon by six inches*

Did you just say that Jesus Christ was a member of the Republican Party of the United States, or ideologically associated with it? I honestly hope I didn't see such high blasphemy and using the Lord's name in vane from you there, and that's not a joke. :(

58 minutes ago, Patine said:

Did you just say that Jesus Christ was a member of the Republican Party of the United States, or ideologically associated with it? I honestly hope I didn't see such high blasphemy and using the Lord's name in vane from you there, and that's not a joke. :(

We all know the truth. Jesus was a member of the Green Party.

31 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

We all know the truth. Jesus was a member of the Green Party.

Jesus Christ was NOT a politician, and showed active disdain and dismissal for, and lack of confidence in the value as a vehicle toward Salvation, of mortal government, and eschewed and gave cautionary parables about two of their biggest tools toward power - material wealth and physical violence.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Jesus Christ was NOT a politician, and showed active disdain and dismissal for, and lack of confidence in the value as a vehicle toward Salvation, of mortal government, and eschewed and gave cautionary parables about two of their biggest tools toward power - material wealth and physical violence.

:(You know I was joking right? 

@SilentLiberty @Patine @admin_270 @ThePotatoWalrus @Herbert Hoover @Actinguy and anyone else

I'm thinking of creating something so the 270Soft Forum can vote to make our Top 100 list. I've compiled a list of 346 preliminary figures with arguable lasting world-wide importance. Since the polls only allow me to ask about 6 questions in this forum, I'll likely have the vote via Google spreadsheets. 

I'm considering withholding the names of the historical figures so that it is based exclusively off the accomplishment. "Invented the first practical air conditioner" and "Invented canned food," etc. I could try to make it more fun, and do a March Madness bracket, but the issue with that is "Founder of Islam" might knock out someone that would easily make the top 20 if not having faced Muhammad so early in the bracket. 

Alternatively, I could just leave the names and hope names don't bias the list. One issue with very democratic polls is that name recognition lifts people to the top---you get Marilyn Monroe, George W. Bush, Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey in a top 100 of all time list. By stripping the name, we have only the accomplishment. The names would be revealed at the end. 

9 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

:(You know I was joking right? 

Maybe you were, yes, but I believe a few forumers may be firmly and solidly convinced that the post you just quoted is completely wrong, and even inversed.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

@SilentLiberty @Patine @admin_270 @ThePotatoWalrus @Herbert Hoover @Actinguy and anyone else

I'm thinking of creating something so the 270Soft Forum can vote to make our Top 100 list. I've compiled a list of 346 preliminary figures with arguable lasting world-wide importance. Since the polls only allow me to ask about 6 questions in this forum, I'll likely have the vote via Google spreadsheets. 

I'm considering withholding the names of the historical figures so that it is based exclusively off the accomplishment. "Invented the first practical air conditioner" and "Invented canned food," etc. I could try to make it more fun, and do a March Madness bracket, but the issue with that is "Founder of Islam" might knock out someone that would easily make the top 20 if not having faced Muhammad so early in the bracket. 

Alternatively, I could just leave the names and hope names don't bias the list. One issue with very democratic polls is that name recognition lifts people to the top---you get Marilyn Monroe, George W. Bush, Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey in a top 100 of all time list. By stripping the name, we have only the accomplishment. The names would be revealed at the end. 

If you do accomplishments over names, you could leave Jesus and Muhammard out? I think it's fair to say they'd be one and two anyway? 

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

If you do accomplishments over names, you could leave Jesus and Muhammard out? I think it's fair to say they'd be one and two anyway? 

"The best know member of the Melchezidak Priesthood," or "the Bedouin leader Sassanian Persian Shahanshah Khosrau II demanded, in rage at a letter sent to him, his vassal, the ruler of Yemen, bring to his court in chains." :P