270soft Forum

Canadian Politics

In Alberta, somehow the corpse of the liberals has 7%, Independence has 10%, the NDP has 24% and the UCP has 40%, Kenney should say to about 10 of his MP's that they will lose relection

@PatineHow come the Liberals have 7%!

1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

Liberals have never been powerful in Alberta (at least recently).

You'd never know the Liberals held the first set of majority governments in Alberta history (1905-1921), and were the Official Opposition far over the Conservatives (later PC's) or various Labour Parties (later CCF, then NDP) during the United Farmers of Alberta majority governments (1921-1935) and the Social Credit majority governments (1935 until the PC's become the Official Opposition in 1963, and then gained majority government in 1971, under Lougheed). The Social Credit were Official Opposition until their permanent legislative wipeout in 1979, which was about the same time the NEP was introduced by the elder Trudeau, and Lougheed used it to gut the Provincial Liberals - who never quite recovered, despite constantly trying to disasociate themselves from the Federal party thereafter - there biggest level of electoral success thereafter was in the mid-'80's under Lawrence Decore (whose son, Michael, I actually knew personally, and I asked him at some point in the late '90'sif he planned a career in politics, and he said, "given the current state of the Provincial Liberals, I'd likely be given a golden welcome, even acclaimed as a new leader, based on my father's name. I mean realistically here. Nah, I have no plans for politics at all."

Various Alberta, BC, and Western Canada as a whole Independentist parties always tend to poll better than they do come election time. It's a weird thing. Among the totality of Western Canadian separatist parties, only one such party (the Separatist Party of Alberta) won a single seat in a Provincial by-election in a backwater, rural constituency in the very late '70's, very early '80's, I believe, and then lost it in the next General Election. That is the greatest actual ELECTORAL success of all Western Canada independentist parties in totality. Plus, such parties, though not nearly universally, tend to be founded by, or attract, Neo-Nazis or other White Supremacists, like Doug Christie, the founder of both the Western Canadian Concept and Western Block Party. And, while I won't conflate the two with Neo-Nazis or White Supremacists at all, the fact that when I looked on the website of the Separatist Party of Alberta (as it was called at the time, then it was the Alberta First Party, then the Freedom Conservative Party - under Derek Fildebrant, the MLA known for a condo scandal and a hit-and-run traffic crime while he was still a member of the PC caucus - and now negotiating, but not finalized, a merger with the Alberta Independence Party and Wexit Party - but on this original website, the first two things that hit you on reaching it are two big sidebar images flanking the text of Ayn Rand and Ronald Reagan. That is frightening!

2 minutes ago, Ishan said:

How come the Liberals have 7%, doing as well as the Alberta Party?

Well, first of all, you completely misquoted me, and I suspect highly insultingly and derisively. However, regardless of your obtuse, juvenile, and odious quip there, I still going to answer in good faith, and be the mature one on a higher ground. Now, let's put things in proportion here. Neither party has seats in the Legislative Assembly, despite both going into the election with seats. Secondly, this is the first Alberta Legislative Assembly elected in all Alberta history without at least one Liberal member. That being said, 7% is notably lower than the typical polling of the Liberals during the NEP-Lougheed onslaught on their PR, I might add. And, 7-8% is not a great achievement in a Province where every single Government from 1905 onwards has had a commanding majority of seats, and a change of parties has only happened due to a sudden electoral upset or tumult. Context is king!

34 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, first of all, you completely misquoted me, and I suspect highly insultingly and derisively. However, regardless of your obtuse, juvenile, and odious quip there, I still going to answer in good faith, and be the mature one on a higher ground. Now, let's put things in proportion here. Neither party has seats in the Legislative Assembly, despite both going into the election with seats. Secondly, this is the first Alberta Legislative Assembly elected in all Alberta history without at least one Liberal member. That being said, 7% is notably lower than the typical polling of the Liberals during the NEP-Lougheed onslaught on their PR, I might add. And, 7-8% is not a great achievement in a Province where every single Government from 1905 onwards has had a commanding majority of seats, and a change of parties has only happened due to a sudden electoral upset or tumult. Context is king!

Correct me if I am wrong dear Patine 😛 

But the coronavirus effect on oil prices risks to be a serious problem for the popularity of Jason Kenney (like it previously was for the NDP in power)

23 minutes ago, Edouard said:

Correct me if I am wrong dear Patine 😛 

But the coronavirus effect on oil prices risks to be a serious problem for the popularity of Jason Kenney (like it previously was for the NDP in power)

Jason Kenney needs to stop kissing the asses of big oil companies and diversify the economy more. Like I was telling @jvikings1 that Kentucky Governors need to diversify their economy instead of coddling a dying coal industry.