270soft Forum

Odd Top 100 Influential List of Historic People

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

It's part of the standard meaning of God within the Christian tradition. It's like me saying part of the definition of a triangle is a shape with 3 angles, and you responding with 'says who?'

Not a good analogy. There are far fewer people that doubt that a triangle has three shapes than there are people who doubt the existence of God or that God is love or that love is God. Three angles is part of the definition of a triangle in probably every dictionary, regardless of culture, creed, language. It's not an interpretation. That God is Love is a true definition in a "Christian dictionary" but this does not make it a unversal definition. Thus, one can say, "says who" in a way that is sensical, especally since the Christian tradition is a mix of interpretations, which is, at times, things other than facts.  To me, the standard meanng you are talking about is more like you looking at the defnition of a triangle in a regular dictionary and saying, "No. No, that's not correct. My pastor and my religious tradition tells me that a triangle has two sides." The logic of Christian tradition--and many religions--is at times irrational. I think the God is Love or Love is God argument, based off Biblical and Temporal evidence is one of these things. It often remind me of the theologian Tertullian that said something to the effect that, "I believe because it is absurd" in regards to his faith. Or that Bishop Iraneaus believed there should be four gospels because there are four corners in the earth. Or those Crusaders that sought an alliance with a Christian ruler named Prester John, who was never verified, had never been seen, and would have to have been ageless to still have been alive. It this kind of absurd thinking that I think has too greatly influenced Christian tradition (and likely other religions). If it were really a religion of love and of logic, I'd be a part of it. This said, I don't really like getting bogged down in these religious quagmire debates that end up just being circular arguments that convince nobody. I only got into this debate because you had said that it didn't make sense that the New Testament was more Paul than Jesus. I hold my ground, and you hold yours. I end my catechism. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Not a good analogy. There are far fewer people that doubt that a triangle has three shapes than there are people who doubt the existence of God or that God is love or that love is God.

Many people misunderstand what Christians mean by 'God'. That God is love is a central aspect of that understanding. This point is different from the point of whether God exists, or thinking God exists but (and therefore disagreeing with Christians) thinking God doesn't have love as a central aspect. These are legitimate points to raise, but I am simply explaining the Christian concept of God.

You say you don't think about God much - I am saying, from the Christian perspective, you probably do without thinking of it as such.

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

You say you don't think about God much - I am saying, from the Christian perspective, you probably do without thinking of it as such.

Fair enough. People are entitled to their own perspectives and interpretations.