270soft Forum

Most Influential Spaniards Poll

Most Influential Spaniard Poll (Does not include those that were born and lived exclusively in the New World)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the Most Influential Spaniards? [**Pick only those that you think have a legitimate case for being in the top 10 most influential Spaniard**]

• Ferdinand and Isabella
    • Miguel de Cervantes
    • Pablo Picasso
    • Salvador Dali
    • Tomas de Torquemada
    • Philip II
    • Charles V (Charles I of Spain)
    • Diego Velazquez
    • Hernando Cortez
    • Francisco Pizzaro
    • Saint Ignatius Loyola
    • Francisco Franco
    • Federico Garcia Lorca
    • Juan Carlos I
    • Adolfo Suarez
    • Teresa of Avila
    • Antoni Gaudi
    • El Cid
    • Alfonso X
    • Francisco de Goya
    • Lope de Vega
    • Juan Sebastian Elcano
    • El Greco (Greek born, however)
    • Placido Domingo
    • Luis Bunel
    • Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca
    • Francisco Coronado
    • Vasco Nunez de Balboa
    • Hernando de Soto
    • Pedro de Calderon
    • Franciso de Quevedo
    • Fernando Alvarez, Duke of Alba
    • Don John of Austria (German born)
    • Gonzalo de Cordoba
    • Bartolome de las Casas
    • George Santayana
    • Saint Francis Xavier
    • Other (comment below)

Similar to my German and Italian poll.

@Conservative Elector 2 @Actinguy @Patine @Reagan04 @admin_270 @jvikings1 @Herbert Hoover @Edouard @pilight @SilentLiberty @WVProgressive @Hestia11 @TheMiddlePolitical and anyone else that might be interested in this poll. 

Note: Christopher Columbus is with the Italian list. He was from Genoa. 

Once we get four more voters on this poll, I'll do another country influence poll

Once this poll gets 10 voters, I'll do Russian, French, and English next, likely in this order. I'll do other European countries if I get enough demand, although these lists will likely be smaller. I might do one for the Roman era and before.

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Once this poll gets 10 voters, I'll do Russian, French, and English next, likely in this order. I'll do other European countries if I get enough demand, although these lists will likely be smaller. I might do one for the Roman era and before.

You should have no trouble coming with a list of Greeks - Ancient, Medieval (Byzantine), and Modern, either.

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

You should have no trouble coming with a list of Greeks - Ancient, Medieval (Byzantine), and Modern, either.

That's true. I was thinking of Poles, Czechs, as well, or perhaps I'll just group Western Slavs together. I might group Scandinavians together for those countries. Russians might include other Eastern Slavs. I don't like bundling people together, but these polls are somewhat based on traditional name recognition of influential people, which means it's heavily scewed to Western and Central Europe--predominately England, France, and Germany. 

Done!

The other is Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos.

By the way, Saint Francis Xavier was not a Spaniard, but a Basque. Even though politically part of Spain (with a small part under French control), the Basques long consider themselves a very distinct and different people, and their language, culture, and traditions are not just distinct but similar to Spanish, like the Catalans, Galicians, some Andalusians, but are completely different - the Basque language is not even in the Indo-European family, but a language isolate related only to some now-extinct Ancient languages recorded by the Romans like Vascone and Aquitainian. Saying that Saint Francis Xavier was "a Spaniard," is just as contentious as saying Saladin was "an Arab," - when in fact, he was a Kurd.

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

By the way, Saint Francis Xavier was not a Spaniard, but a Basque.

Thanks for letting me know. I was unaware the he was Basque. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Why just European countries?  

8 minutes ago, pilight said:

If you'd like, you could whip up some good Asian polls (as in the Greater Asian Geographic which includes not only East and Southeast Asia the Indian Subcontinent, the Caususus, the Central Asian regions, Siberia, and the Middle East except Egypt, Istanbul, and Eastern Thrace). But, to be honest, @vcczar has effectively asked this question for Americans, from numerous angles, points-of-view, time periods, fields of endeavour, qualities, etc. in numerous posts for YEARS.

21 minutes ago, pilight said:

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

If you'd like, you could whip up some good Asian polls (as in the Greater Asian Geographic which includes not only East and Southeast Asia the Indian Subcontinent, the Caususus, the Central Asian regions, Siberia, and the Middle East except Egypt, Istanbul, and Eastern Thrace). But, to be honest, @vcczar has effectively asked this question for Americans, from numerous angles, points-of-view, time periods, fields of endeavour, qualities, etc. in numerous posts for YEARS.

I only feel comfortable doing a poll like this for history within my area of expertise. My full-breadth of historical knowledge is much less complete for areas outside of Europe and the United States. I don't even feel comfortable making such a poll for Mexico and Canada. Basically, if I can't come up with 50 people that could make a list off the top of my head (most of these polls are off the top of my head), then I'm not going to create the poll. I'd leave too many people off. Let it be known that almost all my nation (or peoples)-specific future polls and posts will be in regards to US and European history, exclusively. For contemporary history and politics, they will be almost exclusively on the US. I won't ever create a poll regarding something that I only have a superficial knowledge about. I think, in most cases, that's something that should be adhered too unless someone is comfortable making a half-assed poll or thread. 

For this same reason, you'll see me almost never responding too or offering an authorative opinion on things outside my range of expertise. For instance, I was noticeably quiet on Brexit. I have my intuitive opinion, but I don't live there, and the issue seems to be more local/regional than universal (genocide is universal, for instance. That violates universal law and natural law). As such, not only can I claim no authority in my response, I'm not as informed on it as I am about politics and the needs of the people in my own country. All I can say is, "Brexit seems like it would be a bad idea." However, I could be wrong. It also bothers me when people from other countries try to interject authoratively on contemporary US politics and US history. If you don't live in a country, you are liable to be ignorant of the mood of the people, the needs of the people, etc.

The same goes with rural people and their opinions on urban voters, and urban people and their opinions on rural people. I am very urban, and while I have some sympathy for rural people (my dad was born on a farm, and I used to visit it), I can't begin argue with what is best for them. It's this sort of ignorance that creates blue and red states, and blue and red counties. 

History before contemporary has been so studied and analyzed that one can take the information with more confidence, allowing for authorative opinions, even if one has never lived in those countries. However, one only has so much time to learn about the history of the world in such detail to gather this information. I have a superficial knowledge of about every section of the world, but my area of depth is confined to the US and to Europe, and even in Europe, it's strongest in specific areas (UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Russia, Czech Republican, and slightly less for Scandinavia and Switzerland). I'm weaker in my history in many Eastern European countries, Balkans, Baltics, and even Greece after the Byzantine area. Along with this, my focus is strongest between 800 AD (crowning of Charlemagne) to 1945 (end of WWII and development of EU).

Anyway, this turning into a tangent. Short form. I write about what I know, and I avoid writing about things that I don't know about. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I only feel comfortable doing a poll like this for history within my area of expertise. My full-breadth of historical knowledge is much less complete for areas outside of Europe and the United States. I don't even feel comfortable making such a poll for Mexico and Canada. Basically, if I can't come up with 50 people that could make a list off the top of my head (most of these polls are off the top of my head), then I'm not going to create the poll. I'd leave too many people off. Let it be known that almost all my nation (or peoples)-specific future polls and posts will be in regards to US and European history, exclusively. For contemporary history and politics, they will be almost exclusively on the US. I won't ever create a poll regarding something that I only have a superficial knowledge about. I think, in most cases, that's something that should be adhered too unless someone is comfortable making a half-assed poll or thread. 

For this same reason, you'll see me almost never responding too or offering an authorative opinion on things outside my range of expertise. For instance, I was noticeably quiet on Brexit. I have my intuitive opinion, but I don't live there, and the issue seems to be more local/regional than universal (genocide is universal, for instance. That violates universal law and natural law). As such, not only can I claim no authority in my response, I'm not as informed on it as I am about politics and the needs of the people in my own country. All I can say is, "Brexit seems like it would be a bad idea." However, I could be wrong. It also bothers me when people from other countries try to interject authoratively on contemporary US politics and US history. If you don't live in a country, you are liable to be ignorant of the mood of the people, the needs of the people, etc.

The same goes with rural people and their opinions on urban voters, and urban people and their opinions on rural people. I am very urban, and while I have some sympathy for rural people (my dad was born on a farm, and I used to visit it), I can't begin argue with what is best for them. It's this sort of ignorance that creates blue and red states, and blue and red counties. 

History before contemporary has been so studied and analyzed that one can take the information with more confidence, allowing for authorative opinions, even if one has never lived in those countries. However, one only has so much time to learn about the history of the world in such detail to gather this information. I have a superficial knowledge of about every section of the world, but my area of depth is confined to the US and to Europe, and even in Europe, it's strongest in specific areas (UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Russia, Czech Republican, and slightly less for Scandinavia and Switzerland). I'm weaker in my history in many Eastern European countries, Balkans, Baltics, and even Greece after the Byzantine area. Along with this, my focus is strongest between 800 AD (crowning of Charlemagne) to 1945 (end of WWII and development of EU).

Anyway, this turning into a tangent. Short form. I write about what I know, and I avoid writing about things that I don't know about. 

I see a serious typo in my response, which belies my intention.

27 minutes ago, Patine said:

The bolded "you," should be "I." I was tentatively - though not committedly - offering my own knowledge. I could also do Canada, Latin America, and maybe regions of Africa (North, West, East, Central, Southern, and the Horn). I didn't mean to say you should feel obligated, as I know you've admitted the limits of your knowledge.