270soft Forum

Most Influential Italian Poll

Most Influential Italians poll [Post-Roman Era]  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the Most Influential Italians? [**Pick only those that you think have a legitimate case for being in the top 10 most influential Italians**]

• Christopher Columbus
    • Leonard da Vinci
    • Galileo
    • Niccolo Machiavelli
    • Giuseppi Verdi
    • Luigi Pirandello
    • Dante
    • Carravaggio
    • Raphael
    • Michelangelo
    • Frederico Fellini
    • Benito Mussolini
    • Giuseppi Garibaldi
    • Giotto
    • Petrarch
    • Donatello
    • Giacomo Leopardi
    • Sophia Loren
    • Silvio Berlusconi
    • Rita Levi-Montalcini
    • Guglielmo Marconi
    • Giuseppi Mazzini
    • Aldo Moro
    • Luciano Pavarotti
    • Sandro Pertini
    • Marco Polo
    • Giacomo Puccini
    • Alessandro Volta
    • Leonardo Fibonacci
    • Saint Thomas Aquinas
    • Giovanni Boccaccio
    • Brunelleschi
    • Enrico Caruso
    • Francesco Cirio
    • Enrico Fermi
    • Enzo Ferrari
    • Eugenio Montale
    • Palladio
    • Antonio Stradivari
    • Monteverdi
    • Evangelista Torricelli
    • Amerigo Vespucci
    • Camillo Benso, Comte di Cavour
    • Victor Emmanuel II
    • Lorenzo di Medici
    • Cosimo di Medici
    • Cesare Borgia
    • Pope Alexander I
    • Pope Gregory I
    • Pope Gregory VII
    • Pope Innocent III
    • Pope Leo III
    • Eugene of Savoy
    • Alexander Farnese, Duke of Parma
    • Antonio Vivaldi
    • Guido d'Arezzo
    • Romano Prodi
    • Alessandro Scarlatti
    • Other (name below)

This poll is similar to my Most Influential German poll

@Conservative Elector 2 @Actinguy @Patine @Reagan04 @admin_270 @jvikings1 @Herbert Hoover @Edouard @pilight @SilentLiberty @WVProgressive @Hestia11 @TheMiddlePolitical and anyone else that might be interested in this poll. 

23 hours ago, vcczar said:

This poll is similar to my Most Influential German poll

@Conservative Elector 2 @Actinguy @Patine @Reagan04 @admin_270 @jvikings1 @Herbert Hoover @Edouard @pilight @SilentLiberty @WVProgressive @Hestia11 @TheMiddlePolitical and anyone else that might be interested in this poll. 

The other is Giovanni Caboto (known to his employers in Henry VIII's court as John Cabot) - certainly as far better navigator and cartographer than Columbus, and lacking Columbus' nature as a butcher, tyrant, fraudster, and shameless and sociopathic social climber.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

The other is Giovanni Caboto (known to his employers in Henry VIII's court as John Cabot) - certainly as far better navigator and cartographer than Columbus, and lacking Columbus' nature as a butcher, tyrant, fraudster, and shameless and sociopathic social climber.

Competence isn't really the mark of influence however, although it can play a role in it. Almost all the explorers were better navigators than Columbus, who was just lucky. Luck might be more central to these kinds of influence thing than competence. I consider John Cabot, but I felt it unlikely he'd get consideration for being a top 10 person. He seemed kind of buried from other prominent people of his time. However, I can see an argument for inclusion. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Competence isn't really the mark of influence however, although it can play a role in it. Almost all the explorers were better navigators than Columbus, who was just lucky. Luck might be more central to these kinds of influence thing than competence. I consider John Cabot, but I felt it unlikely he'd get consideration for being a top 10 person. He seemed kind of buried from other prominent people of his time. However, I can see an argument for inclusion. 

Something many Americans ironically forget in the Columbus vs. Cabot debate. A lot of Americans view the origin of the U.S. to happening, ultimately, because of Columbus, and he's the big explorer they always quote, and name things after, and have a day in honour or, etc. But, despite one of the Florida Keys being the only part of the current integral U.S. Columbus ever set foot on, the English/British did not actually get any significant interest in colonizing the New World until Cabot's voyage, and that of their French rival, Cartier. Once the gold laden empires of Aztecs and Inca were already sacked, it was, for several years, seen as a "lost opportunity," and the knowledge of significant land mass north of Mexico and the Caribbean was not verified, and some were even in doubt. And, although a large chunk the Western part of the U.S., as well as Florida, was originally Spanish-settled, the Thirteen Colonies' existence were far more because of Cabot and Cartier's voyages than Columbus', in truth. Americans SHOULD celebrate Giovanni Caboto Day like us Canadians do, instead of Columbus Day, realistically, with any sense of perspective and proportion.

3 hours ago, Patine said:

Something many Americans ironically forget in the Columbus vs. Cabot debate. A lot of Americans view the origin of the U.S. to happening, ultimately, because of Columbus, and he's the big explorer they always quote, and name things after, and have a day in honour or, etc. But, despite one of the Florida Keys being the only part of the current integral U.S. Columbus ever set foot on, the English/British did not actually get any significant interest in colonizing the New World until Cabot's voyage, and that of their French rival, Cartier. Once the gold laden empires of Aztecs and Inca were already sacked, it was, for several years, seen as a "lost opportunity," and the knowledge of significant land mass north of Mexico and the Caribbean was not verified, and some were even in doubt. And, although a large chunk the Western part of the U.S., as well as Florida, was originally Spanish-settled, the Thirteen Colonies' existence were far more because of Cabot and Cartier's voyages than Columbus', in truth. Americans SHOULD celebrate Giovanni Caboto Day like us Canadians do, instead of Columbus Day, realistically, with any sense of perspective and proportion.

I don't know if you caught or missed this opinion of the importance of Cabot vs. Columbus to the United States as an actual nation, here, @vcczar.

20 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't know if you caught or missed this opinion of the importance of Cabot vs. Columbus to the United States as an actual nation, here, @vcczar.

I saw it. I like the idea of Indigeonous American day replacing Columbus Day. Cabot might be more central to North America, but the celebration of Columbus was bound by the belief that he was the first European to the New World. I think he should be demoted in importance considering Vikings were here even earlier. However, the indigeonous population should be given the most prominence since they were already here. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I saw it. I like the idea of Indigeonous American day replacing Columbus Day. Cabot might be more central to North America, but the celebration of Columbus was bound by the belief that he was the first European to the New World. I think he should be demoted in importance considering Vikings were here even earlier. However, the indigeonous population should be given the most prominence since they were already here. 

I definitely agree with promoting Indigenous views. My long-term girlfriend of almost 20 years is Treaty Cree. But I wouldn't want to see it turned completely into a day of anger and hate, like the Australian Aborigines have "Invasion Day," on the Australian Statutory Holiday, "Australia Day," - which can get quite nasty as an affair - at least if possible to avoid.