270soft Forum

Ranking US Presidents by Force of Personality

This is my personal ranking of US Presidents by Force of Personality. Naturally, force of personality is not necessarily a positive quality for a president. In fact, a force of personality in the wrong person can be quite bad, as as been seen in World History. Nevertheless, I thought it would be interesting to see how my ranking holds up. For the most party,  Force of Personality requires a natural inclination to independence and projection of self over party. It need not necessarily be charismatic. Force is not always appealing. 

1. Theodore Roosevelt
  2. Andrew Jackson
  3. LBJ
  4. FDR
  5. John Adams
  6. Thomas Jefferson
  7. Donald Trump
  8. John Tyler
  9. Richard Nixon
  10. Harry S Truman
  11. John Quincy Adams
  12. Woodrow Wilson
  13. Ronald Reagan
  14. Andrew Johnson
  15. Abraham Lincoln
  16. Grover Cleveland
  17. Zachary Taylor
  18. JFK
  19. Calvin Coolidge
  20. Ulysses S. Grant
  21. Dwight D Eisenhower
  22. Martin Van Buren
  23. George Washington
  24. James K Polk
  25. Barack Obama
  26. Herbert Hoover
  27. George HW Bush
  28. James Monroe
  29. James Buchanan
  30. Jimmy Carter
  31. George W Bush
  32. William McKinley
  33. William Henry Harrison
  34. Bill Clinton
  35. James Madison
  36. James A Garfield
  37. Millard Fillmore
  38. Chester A. Arthur
  39. Franklin Pierce
  40. Gerald Ford
  41. Benjamin Harrison
  42. William Howard Taft
  43. Warren G Harding
  44. Rutherford B Hayes

I'd argue Clinton is much higher: read a few books, and he and his administration, especially with the whole Third Way theme, really put themselves on the spot consistently not only against the Republicans, but against their own party at times.

4 hours ago, Kingthero said:

I'd argue Clinton is much higher: read a few books, and he and his administration, especially with the whole Third Way theme, really put themselves on the spot consistently not only against the Republicans, but against their own party at times.

Some of these people are so close on my list that they could slide up or down a bit. While Bill Clinton had a certain force of personality on campaign, I found him being rather passive as a president. At times, it almost seemed like he attempted the path of least resistance at all times. Exceptions were his actions during the shutdowns and his attempt at healthcare reform, although even that he sort of played agnostic and just let Hillary Clinton take all the fire. In cabinet meetings, he was known to just let conversation occur organically (I like this idea, but it isn't really a force of personality trait). Zbigniew Brzezinski described it as the only cabinet meetings he ever went to in which it would almost impossible to tell who the president was if you didn't know who the president was.