270soft Forum

Coronavirus Quarantine Poll

Coronavirus Quarantine Poll  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is true for you?

• I or someone in my immediately family was laid off or furloughed because of this epidemic.
    • I am respecting the quarrantine by staying inside, using social distancing, etc. as the scientists and health expersts suggest that we do.
    • I am worried about the national economy.
    • I am worried that new outbreaks will occur continuously until we get a good vaccine in a year or two.
    • I think the worst of this epidemic has already occurred in my country and that things will be improved soon.
    • I believe the scientists and health experts in their believe of protective measures, even if it destroys the economy.
    • I side with the majority of governors that believe that the shut down should be somewhat strictly enforced.
    • I side with Trump, some of the conservative governors, and Lt. Gov of Texas Dan "There are more important things than living" Patrick in that the economy is as important as or more important than lives.
    • I think Donald Trump has done a decent job during this crisis.
    • I think Congress has done a decent job during this crisis.
    • I think most of the governors have done a decent job during this crisis.
    • I think Biden has been inspiring during this crisis.
    • I think Biden is more likely to defeat Trump now than I did beforet his crisis began.
    • I will likely wait a few weeks after the shutdown ends just to be safe.
    • I plan on traveling somewhere before the end of the Summer, even if people are still dying of the virus.
    • I blame the Chinese for the Coronavirus.
    • Other (mention below)

Just now, Hestia11 said:

This. I don't think people are going to be moving because a state may open a month earlier than theirs.

I think you're right - if we're talking a few weeks or a month, most people will opt to wait it out. The larger that gap becomes, the more people will consider moving.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/28/2020 at 2:42 PM, Patine said:

But is saying a whole people, culture, and government are universally, one and all, to blame, and deserving, one and all, to be "stabbed in the back," instead of some specific Chinese government officials in a few key departments, a realistic, viable, sensible, or even sane or moral, at all response to this, like @CentristGuy spewed? How can he call his himself "Centrist," in his handle name, followed by claiming to have drifted to some more Progressive viewpoint, if he's promoting Far-Right-Wing sociopathic, demographic stereotyped, xenophobic, hate- and war-mongering insanity?

That's because you don't understand what it feels like to be subjugated by China. You don't know what it feels like when foreigners plunder your land. 

2 hours ago, CentristGuy said:

That's because you don't understand what it feels like to be subjugated by China. You don't know what it feels like when foreigners plunder your land. 

Canada's economic situation in that regard is very similar to that of the United States, but we get a fair amount of that economic crime from the United States, too. In fact, the United States is JUST AS guilty of doing this to other nations as China. I would rather see ALL vulture-like exploitation and globalization end entirely, just not China's part of it. Wouldn't you agree that this economic behaviour is a crime, injustice, and great evil, whether it is done by China, the U.S. or any other country, and should end ENTIRELY, by ALL rapacious violator countries?

52 minutes ago, Patine said:

Canada's economic situation in that regard is very similar to that of the United States, but we get a fair amount of that economic crime from the United States, too. In fact, the United States is JUST AS guilty of doing this to other nations as China. I would rather see ALL vulture-like exploitation and globalization end entirely, just not China's part of it. Wouldn't you agree that this economic behaviour is a crime, injustice, and great evil, whether it is done by China, the U.S. or any other country, and should end ENTIRELY, by ALL rapacious violator countries?

You are clearly uninformed when it comes to South East Asian issues for you to compare it to the USA. 

Please study more before equivocating the US-Canada Relation with China-SEA relation. It's not just economic. It's actual LITERAL ANNEXATION of islands. 

Just now, CentristGuy said:

JUST AS 

Just because the USA does it doesn't mean CCP and China isn't cancer. In the US voices against this can have a platform and can actually make a change. China doesn't have that. It's an Ugly Authoritarian Society. 

2 minutes ago, CentristGuy said:

Just because the USA does it doesn't mean CCP and China isn't cancer. In the US voices against this can have a platform and can actually make a change. China doesn't have that. It's an Ugly Authoritarian Society. 

So, are saying U.S. globalization SHOULD be tolerated, just not Chinese globalization, or are you saying something else? Are you saying it is NOT an economic crime or evil when the U.S. does it, only when China does it, or are you saying something else? Your response is not quite clear.

6 minutes ago, CentristGuy said:

You are clearly uninformed when it comes to South East Asian issues for you to compare it to the USA. 

Please study more before equivocating the US-Canada Relation with China-SEA relation. It's not just economic. It's actual LITERAL ANNEXATION of islands. 

I actually happen to know, and work with, a lot of Philippine-Canadians, and I never hear this extreme of a portrayal of the situation - and it's not like they're secretive and evasive about discussing "back home."

7 hours ago, Patine said:

So, are saying U.S. globalization SHOULD be tolerated, just not Chinese globalization, or are you saying something else? Are you saying it is NOT an economic crime or evil when the U.S. does it, only when China does it, or are you saying something else? Your response is not quite clear.

He's probably asking you to actually engage with his points instead of engaging in whataboutism, a common thread with you.

4 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

He's probably asking you to actually engage with his points instead of engaging in whataboutism, a common thread with you.

"Whataboutism," is a manipulative non-term, used to try to artificially restrict the parameters of a conversation so that related (and often relative) issues that could damage or impede the singularity of the point being made, or take the context to an area that they could no longer defend or have a higher ground. A disingenuous debate label that has gained a level of credence in Internet circles it doesn't at all deserve, given it's constant cop-out usage. And, a term believed to have been coined by Vladimir Putin. A term as disingenuous and anti-productive in conversation as "strawman," and others.

But my point stands. One cannot condemn a vile phenomenon of exploitation and rapacious vulture economics like globalization by one nation while pretending it's a not a great evil all around, and that it's JUST AS BAD AND VILE when every major economic power doing it does it. It's like one-sided views of old Cold War Proxy wars, or Colonial excesses of the past, frankly.

20 hours ago, Patine said:

I actually happen to know, and work with, a lot of Philippine-Canadians, and I never hear this extreme of a portrayal of the situation - and it's not like they're secretive and evasive about discussing "back home."

Scarborough Shoal Standoff

Fishermen not allowed to Fish

And just recently, a gun was pointed at a Navy Corvette by Chinese Warship. 

2 hours ago, CentristGuy said:

Scarborough Shoal Standoff

Fishermen not allowed to Fish

And just recently, a gun was pointed at a Navy Corvette by Chinese Warship. 

You haven't answered this question:

22 hours ago, Patine said: