270soft Forum

Coronavirus Quarantine Poll

Coronavirus Quarantine Poll  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is true for you?

• I or someone in my immediately family was laid off or furloughed because of this epidemic.
    • I am respecting the quarrantine by staying inside, using social distancing, etc. as the scientists and health expersts suggest that we do.
    • I am worried about the national economy.
    • I am worried that new outbreaks will occur continuously until we get a good vaccine in a year or two.
    • I think the worst of this epidemic has already occurred in my country and that things will be improved soon.
    • I believe the scientists and health experts in their believe of protective measures, even if it destroys the economy.
    • I side with the majority of governors that believe that the shut down should be somewhat strictly enforced.
    • I side with Trump, some of the conservative governors, and Lt. Gov of Texas Dan "There are more important things than living" Patrick in that the economy is as important as or more important than lives.
    • I think Donald Trump has done a decent job during this crisis.
    • I think Congress has done a decent job during this crisis.
    • I think most of the governors have done a decent job during this crisis.
    • I think Biden has been inspiring during this crisis.
    • I think Biden is more likely to defeat Trump now than I did beforet his crisis began.
    • I will likely wait a few weeks after the shutdown ends just to be safe.
    • I plan on traveling somewhere before the end of the Summer, even if people are still dying of the virus.
    • I blame the Chinese for the Coronavirus.
    • Other (mention below)

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

I admit it, I blame the Chinese government for this disaster. If they'd actually admitted they had an epidemic on their hands sooner, we wouldn't be in this mess now! That's what upsets me most, that they thought they could handle it on their own.

Your scapegoating of some group or other with malign and evil motives in conspiracy-theory, tinfoil-hat manner is disturbingly reminiscent of the "stab in the back," myth the was one of the things circulating around the Weimar Republic that Hitler played like a fiddle, or the much more contemporary myth in India today that, "this rash of gangrapes are not being done good Indian men, but by migrant workers from Bangladesh," that Modi and his BJP are playing upon. Baseless conspiracy theories, with no evidence other than, "they seem the likely suspect," lead to NO good ends.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CentristGuy said:

I'm shocked how few blame the Chinese for this virus. Their country is the leech of this world. 

I think it’s fair to say they could’ve handled it better but to call them the leech of the world is frankly offensive. 

I'm shocked how few blame the Chinese for this virus. Their country is the leech of this world. 

The blame game is not productive in times like these. Besides, the U.S. and other Western nations do their fair share of "leeching," globally, as well. The Neo-Colonial economic scheme is very nasty thing, indeed - and not a place for a moral high ground for us in the West over China.

13 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

I wish there was an option for “I don’t blame china for creating the virus, but they failed to contain it with proactive action.”

More unproductive blame game. How is this helping anyone? How is this anything but counter-productive to the situation? A lot of people dropped the ball early on about the issue, including in the U.S.  Plus, I can't help but notice you blame, "China," and @CentristGuy blames "the Chinese." Not the specific agencies of the Chinese Government who would have made the first bungles (of which, as I said, others were made in other country that exacerbated the issue), but "China," and, "the China," - as in the WHOLE People's Republic of China and all 1.5 or so billion citizens. Let's stop this "Stab-in-the-Back-Myth-esqu," mentality and viewpoint now, shall we!

On 4/24/2020 at 12:08 AM, Hestia11 said:

I think it’s fair to say they could’ve handled it better but to call them the leech of the world is frankly offensive. 

Easy to say if your country isn't being encroached by China on all fronts. Easy to say when your sovereignty is respected, even feared, all over the world. Easy to say when Chinese Illegal workers aren't given priority by your Government. Easy to say when Chinese Companies aren't plundering your natural resources thru mining. 

I could list a lot more reasons to call them leeches of this world. But I won't cause I'll just anger myself further. 

The CCP alongside their Chinese supporters are leeches of this world. 

On 4/24/2020 at 12:34 AM, Patine said:

More unproductive blame game. How is this helping anyone? How is this anything but counter-productive to the situation? A lot of people dropped the ball early on about the issue, including in the U.S.  Plus, I can't help but notice you blame, "China," and @CentristGuy blames "the Chinese." Not the specific agencies of the Chinese Government who would have made the first bungles (of which, as I said, others were made in other country that exacerbated the issue), but "China," and, "the China," - as in the WHOLE People's Republic of China and all 1.5 or so billion citizens. Let's stop this "Stab-in-the-Back-Myth-esqu," mentality and viewpoint now, shall we!

Honestly, the Chinese People, Culture and Government doesn't deserve the respect for us not to stab them in the back. 

Honestly, the Chinese People, Culture and Government doesn't deserve the respect for us not to stab them in the back

Thank-you, Anton Drexler. I'm sure your views here will just as stellar leadership as Drexler's did to rise if they were to actually a foothold. I, of course, sincerely hope such xenophobic, hateful, stereotyping, sociopathic, twisted, inhuman, and soulless rhetoric falls flat!

Censorship played a role in the coronavirus to become viral, it's true.

And sadly... I think/fear that the total number of deaths in the US, and linked to the covid-19 will be about 80 000 - 85 000 people.

You're in the plateau, maybe the end of the plateau but still the plateau.

Europe has just passed the plateau, North America has been touched around 2/3 weeks after Europe.

And probably that Texas or Alberta (coucou @Patine) will suffer of the current oil crisis and face incredible economic problems.

It's even harsher when we know that Alberta suffered a lot after the 2014 oil crisis.

32 minutes ago, Edouard said:

Censorship played a role in the coronavirus to become viral, it's true.

And sadly... I think/fear that the total number of deaths in the US, and linked to the covid-19 will be about 80 000 - 85 000 people.

You're in the plateau, maybe the end of the plateau but still the plateau.

Europe has just passed the plateau, North America has been touched around 2/3 weeks after Europe.

And probably that Texas or Alberta (coucou @Patine) will suffer of the current oil crisis and face incredible economic problems.

It's even harsher when we know that Alberta suffered a lot after the 2014 oil crisis.

But is saying a whole people, culture, and government are universally, one and all, to blame, and deserving, one and all, to be "stabbed in the back," instead of some specific Chinese government officials in a few key departments, a realistic, viable, sensible, or even sane or moral, at all response to this, like @CentristGuy spewed? How can he call his himself "Centrist," in his handle name, followed by claiming to have drifted to some more Progressive viewpoint, if he's promoting Far-Right-Wing sociopathic, demographic stereotyped, xenophobic, hate- and war-mongering insanity?

27 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Wow. Only 4 of the 28 people who have taken this poll think Trump has done a decent job. 

I'd argue he could have done a better job. 

That said, I have to admit although the Austrian numbers look relatively good the management here was equally awkward at it's best. Our Minister of Health said still in March things like ''the flu is dramatically worse'' and ''during Easter we all will be able to go to Northern Italy safely'', while he publicly worried only about his train ticket, which might be expiring when Austria closes it's borders to Italy....

Finally our Chancellor admitted he took the tough stance after he got a call from Bibi Netanyahu in which Netanyahu warned him about underestimating the threat. I mean I like Bibi very much, but I think it is worrying when your own Chancellor needs the input of a foreign politician to change his own's government negligent behavior.

9 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

1 out of 28 think Biden has been inspiring.

That's mainly because he's basically invisible. Trump's leading the country and has the whole media focusing on him. Biden's numbers, while also bad, are more understandable. Trump's out of his depth. What's odd is that while Biden is basically invisible, he's polling a landslide against Trump, both in national polls and via battleground state polls. It seems voters care more about Trump's handling of the coronavirus than they do about Biden's handling of inspiration during a time of coronavirus. 

27 minutes ago, vcczar said:

That's mainly because he's basically invisible. Trump's leading the country and has the whole media focusing on him. Biden's numbers, while also bad, are more understandable. Trump's out of his depth. What's odd is that while Biden is basically invisible, he's polling a landslide against Trump, both in national polls and via battleground state polls. It seems voters care more about Trump's handling of the coronavirus than they do about Biden's handling of inspiration during a time of coronavirus. 

Is it odd? The more they focus on Trump's failures, the better for Biden.

10 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Is it odd? The more they focus on Trump's failures, the better for Biden.

I think it's odd that Biden is doing so well despite not really doing anything. One would think that the undecideds would increase or something. 

13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think it's odd that Biden is doing so well despite not really doing anything. One would think that the undecideds would increase or something. 

Hillary did well when she wasn't in the media as much, and struggled in the later days of the campaign when it wasn't that way. 

7 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

Hillary did well when she wasn't in the media as much, and struggled in the later days of the campaign when it wasn't that way. 

Ya, my sense with Biden is his support is a mile wide but an inch thick in many places. He won because he was running against a lot of flawed candidates and appealed to people who wanted to see a continuation of the Obama terms. He's many people's 'place-holder' candidate, simply a way to get Trump out of office. Virtually no one is inspired by him. Trump inspires a *lot* more people (and also polarizes). This board isn't representative of more general voter sentiment.

But what happens if Biden starts to get more focus, as most certainly he will once we move into the autumn?

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Ya, my sense with Biden is his support is a mile wide but an inch thick in many places.

I think this is accurate. I think his strength as a candidate is the width of his appeal, while his weakness is his depth of his appeal. Sanders and Trump are less width but more depth where there is appeal, which also means more polarization. 

I do expect some leveling in the polls. I think despite what polls say, I don't think Biden wins OH, NC, FL. I do think AZ will switch Blue for the first time in ages. I think MI is certain to go back to Blue, with PA and WI slightly more likely to switch back than not. I also wouldn't be shocked if the map is basically the same as last election, but I would be shocked if Biden can't win one of MI, PA, and WI back. I think the three most important states will be WI, AZ, and FL. Biden has to win one of these. If he wins WI, then that means he'll have won MI and PA, since I doubt Trump wins PA or MI and not WI. If Biden wins FL, it probably means he wins the election, since he can now lose WI and still win. AZ would also allow him to lose WI. 

Mark Kelly's senate run is going to help Biden in AZ. There will be some cross-party voting, but that is increasingly rare in the 21st century. I also think it must help to have both the McCain family and Jeff Flake campaigning for Biden in AZ as will likely be the case.

Biden might lose if he can't generate the youth vote. That's what scares me most. 

32 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think his strength as a candidate is the width of his appeal, while his weakness is his depth of his appeal. Sanders and Trump are less width but more depth where there is appeal, which also means more polarization.

Yes, I think this summarizes the current situation re the top 3 candidates accurately.

47 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

The big question for Trump is what will happen in the next few months. Will the economy come roaring back? Or will it sputter along? Or will it spiral into an increasing recession, perhaps even a depression?

I keep hearing conflicting things. I read one Op-Ed that argued that the economy would bounce back swiftly, possibly before election day. I think if that happens, then Trump wins reelection.

43 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I keep hearing conflicting things.

Ya, because no one knows. To a large extent, it is going to depend on the comeback strategies of states. The first 3 big case studies look to be Texas, Tennessee, and Georgia. Then add in federal government actions, including possibly infrastructure spending. That's just the domestic side of things. Then it depends on the actions of governments around the world, because the U.S. is a major exporter and importer. Lots of question marks.