270soft Forum

Coronavirus Quarantine Poll

Coronavirus Quarantine Poll  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is true for you?

• I or someone in my immediately family was laid off or furloughed because of this epidemic.
    • I am respecting the quarrantine by staying inside, using social distancing, etc. as the scientists and health expersts suggest that we do.
    • I am worried about the national economy.
    • I am worried that new outbreaks will occur continuously until we get a good vaccine in a year or two.
    • I think the worst of this epidemic has already occurred in my country and that things will be improved soon.
    • I believe the scientists and health experts in their believe of protective measures, even if it destroys the economy.
    • I side with the majority of governors that believe that the shut down should be somewhat strictly enforced.
    • I side with Trump, some of the conservative governors, and Lt. Gov of Texas Dan "There are more important things than living" Patrick in that the economy is as important as or more important than lives.
    • I think Donald Trump has done a decent job during this crisis.
    • I think Congress has done a decent job during this crisis.
    • I think most of the governors have done a decent job during this crisis.
    • I think Biden has been inspiring during this crisis.
    • I think Biden is more likely to defeat Trump now than I did beforet his crisis began.
    • I will likely wait a few weeks after the shutdown ends just to be safe.
    • I plan on traveling somewhere before the end of the Summer, even if people are still dying of the virus.
    • I blame the Chinese for the Coronavirus.
    • Other (mention below)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest story recently is the increasing amount of evidence the lethality of the novel coronavirus is much lower than some early estimates. Perhaps even < 0.5% IFR.

For young, healthy people, if true then that means it's more rational in terms of their own health to be worried about driving a car.

This, combined with the increased realization of the economic damage, I hope will encourage more governments to get things going more quickly.

My provincial government has admitted their early models, based on what had happened in Italy among other things, were significant over-estimates, and have since abandoned those models (large amounts of health resources allocated to deal with this are currently not being utilized). Our numbers are extremely low (in the last month or so, 86 deaths attributed to COVID-19 (out of > 4 million people), almost all very old people - for contrast, about 70x35 = about 2,500 typically would die in my province during that sort of time period from various other things), elective surgeries will start being scheduled again, and our health official says various restrictions put in place to slow the spread will start being relaxed as long as current trends continue. 

We did a great job of minimizing the risk of an infectious disease, not so great at minimizing the risk to all sorts of other things IMHO.

Some of the biggest losers from all of this at this point:

1. Public transportation. Looks like NYC got seeded big time by this. 

2. Urban density. Once the darling of urban planners, now looks like it has a big Achilles' heel.

3. Reusable shopping bags. A pet peeve of mine. There was a big push here to switch to reusables, with my town even banning plastic bags. Guess what? Reusables are now banned! Although probably an over-reaction if that ban becomes permanent, they can be genuinely very dirty - I hope plastic bags come back.

4. Computer models of complex systems where there is significant uncertainty in the underlying data and relations. Hopefully, people will be fooled less by this stuff in the future.

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

4. Computer models of complex systems where there is significant uncertainty in the underlying data and relations. Hopefully, people will be fooled less by this stuff in the future.

This is a great point

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

elective surgeries will start being scheduled again, and our health official says various restrictions put in place to slow the spread will start being relaxed as long as current trends continue. 

My mom works at a hospital in Nebraska. They are starting elective surgeries, and are saying the hospital must be at 30% less than capacity. It is full right now. Some states and hospitals can't take this. I agree young people have a very slight risk to this disease, but it's not as though it's nonexistant. Your province may be doing things right. My state had 482 new cases today. We've done things wrong. Gov. Reynolds thought she could walk and chew gum at the same time - shut some things down and keep others open. Iowa is going in the wrong direction fast. It's not monolithic.

2 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

My state had 482 new cases today. We've done things wrong. Gov. Reynolds thought she could walk and chew gum at the same time - shut some things down and keep others open. Iowa is going in the wrong direction fast. It's not monolithic.

Ya, I don't know what the strategy is in Iowa. Here, the idea is to start upping social contacts but making sure it doesn't surge and overwhelm the health care system. Currently, we are nowhere near that, but of course it could take off and then be difficult to tamp down.

(x) I believe the CCP, even if not directly involved in ''creating'' or ''accidentally'' releasing it, at least withhold important information for too long and might be still doing so.

therefore

(x) I support an international and independent investigation in the origins of the crisis.

Best thing about the upper poll: Lt. Gov of Texas Dan "There are more important things than living" Patrick :D :D :D 

Important point: I do not blame "Chinese" people for the coronavirus. However, I do certainly blame the Chinese (The CPC) for either negligence in containing it or non-transparency in covering it for making this disease 10x as bad as it should have been.

6 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Important point: I do not blame "Chinese" people for the coronavirus. However, I do certainly blame the Chinese (The CPC) for either negligence in containing it or non-transparency in covering it for making this disease 10x as bad as it should have been.

Just like all the highly preventable deaths that have been caused by knowing negligence and sociopathic apathy of American government and big corporations. It's not a unique thing. In fact, it's intolerably far too common. A HELL of a lot of sitting and retired senior government officials and big corporations and NGO's of many major nations should all be hanging for the many, many unacceptable deaths they've caused, not enjoying cushy retirement or remaining in power, untouchable by criminal due process, in a disgusting way that violates any good and ethical person's sense of justice, and, in many cases, lauded and praised!

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Just like all the highly preventable deaths that have been caused by knowing negligence and sociopathic apathy of American government and big corporations. It's not a unique thing. In fact, it's intolerably far too common. A HELL of a lot of sitting and retired senior government officials and big corporations and NGO's of many major nations should all be hanging for the many, many unacceptable deaths they've caused, not enjoying cushy retirement or remaining in power, untouchable by criminal due process, in a disgusting way that violates any good and ethical person's sense of justice, and, in many cases, lauded and praised!

Patine endorses the Death Penalty

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

Patine endorses the Death Penalty

Only for the very worst and most despicable. War criminals, terrorists (both insurgent, like ISIS, and sponsored and funded by national governments, like the CIA), drug cartel heads, those in high positions of power to lead to mass death, destruction, and suffering, corporate heads who profit off war, regime changes, and negligence leading to large amounts of death, sick and twisted serial killer and/or sex offenders, etc. Not petty street criminals. They can be locked away for life (once the Unconstitutional slave labour is abolished, and those who run and work for privatized prison corporations and State governors, lawmakers, judges, attorneys, and law-enforcers who willingly participated in that travesty convicted as SLAVERS - no better, and with no differentiation, than those who force illegal immigrants to work in sweatshops, and those who kidnap youth for vile sex slave rings - and join them in those prisons). But, your comment labels me as a stereotyped, down-the-line, undeviating Neo-Liberal - and you'd find yourself mistaken in that assumption in a number of notable areas.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Only for the very worst and most despicable. War criminals, terrorists (both insurgent, like ISIS, and sponsored and funded by national governments, like the CIA), drug cartel heads, those in high positions of power to lead to mass death, destruction, and suffering, corporate heads who profit off war, regime changes, and negligence leading to large amounts of death, sick and twisted serial killer and/or sex offenders, etc. Not petty street criminals. They can be locked away for life (once the Unconstitutional slave labour is abolished, and those who run and work for privatized prison corporations and State governors, lawmakers, judges, attorneys, and law-enforcers who willingly participated in that travesty convicted as SLAVERS - no better, and with no differentiation, than those who force illegal immigrants to work in sweatshops, and those who kidnap youth for vile sex slave rings - and join them in those prisons). But, your comment labels me as a stereotyped, down-the-line, undeviating Neo-Liberal - and you'd find yourself mistaken in that assumption in a number of notable areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfLZrPq136I

Please do watch this clip, I know you don't like videos but it's from a TV series and it's very profound so if you'd make an exception..

"Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord. You know what that means? God is the only one who gets to kill people. That was your way out."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfLZrPq136I

Please do watch this clip, I know you don't like videos but it's from a TV series and it's very profound so if you'd make an exception..

"Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord. You know what that means? God is the only one who gets to kill people. That was your way out."

"Then is render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's." Effectively, not only Christ endorsing a separation of Church and State *gasp*, but also clearly saying God's law, which is Perfect, Flawless, and Transcends all mortal reckoning, will be judged on Judgement Day by the Father, but that Caesar has much smaller scale and parochial laws that he enforces by his limited, very-small-scope vision and methods, but are needed to keep order in the realm of Caesar. The people I lived above are highly destructive to the order of Caesar - often multiple Caesars - and often have the tendency to hijack mortal laws and government to further increase and multiply their evil. Killing is always wrong, and if it becomes an ABSOLUTE necessity to stop immensely more killing, one must acknowledge that one has sinned, and, as with all sins, go before the Lord on bended and hope for understanding and grace - but never to be self-righteous and to congratulate oneself on the mostly grimly necessary of the butcher's work - it is nothing to be glorified, or to be proud of. As Martin Luther, the instigator of the Protestant Reformation, said quite grimly and soberly, "war is the bitter medicine of the human race." But one should never overuse any sort of medicine. My opinions on the issue, while they certainly haven't flipped entirely, have evolved. I was moved by Tommy Douglas, the first leader of the Canadian NDP, but also a Baptist Preacher prior to politics, who condemned Canada taking part in Imperialistic wars and exploitation along with Britain and the U.S., but supported Canada joining the Allies in WW2 against the Rome-Berlin-Tokyo Axis, considering the two magnitudes of difference from each other.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

"Then is render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's." Effectively, not only Christ endorsing a separation of Church and State *gasp*, but also clearly saying God's law, which is Perfect, Flawless, and Transcends all mortal reckoning, will be judged on Judgement Day by the Father, but that Caesar has much smaller scale and parochial laws that he enforces by his limited, very-small-scope vision and methods, but are needed to keep order in the realm of Caesar. The people I lived above are highly destructive to the order of Caesar - often multiple Caesars - and often have the tendency to hijack mortal laws and government to further increase and multiply their evil. Killing is always wrong, and if it becomes an ABSOLUTE necessity to stop immensely more killing, one must acknowledge that one has sinned, and, as with all sins, go before the Lord on bended and hope for understanding and grace - but never to be self-righteous and to congratulate oneself on the mostly grimly necessary of the butcher's work - it is nothing to be glorified, or to be proud of. As Martin Luther, the instigator of the Protestant Reformation, said quite grimly and soberly, "war is the bitter medicine of the human race." But one should never overuse any sort of medicine. My opinions on the issue, while they certainly haven't flipped entirely, have evolved. I was moved by Tommy Douglas, the first leader of the Canadian NDP, but also a Baptist Preacher prior to politics, who condemned Canada taking part in Imperialistic wars and exploitation along with Britain and the U.S., but supported Canada joining the Allies in WW2 against the Rome-Berlin-Tokyo Axis, considering the two magnitudes of difference from each other.

Did you watch it or did you just take this from your copy paste google doc of bombastic responses to me.

Did you watch it or did you just take this from your copy paste google doc of bombastic responses to me.

But, I'm not watching a video with a profound point while I'm about to fall asleep at my computer chair. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

But, I'm not watching a video with a profound point while I'm about to fall asleep at my computer chair. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Good night

My "travel" this summer will just be by car to my parents houses in Pittsburgh to have a small (just us) birthday party for my daughter there since we obviously can't do the "invite every kid you've ever met" type parties right now.

I'm the regional director of communications for hospitals and clinics across three states.  The hospital I work at is beginning to plan what our "return to the new normal" might look like in a couple of weeks, if all goes well.  We've been fortunate so far, only about 10 infected patients and about 20 infected staff, no deaths.  I credit our governor, DeWine, who locked the state down before we even had a single confirmed case.  

But the other hospitals I oversee communications for, including ones in Detroit and Indianapolis, have been absolutely rocked by this -- it's like a war zone in there.  Not just patients -- staff are dying as well.  They won't be "back to the new normal" for a year, at least.

16 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I'm the regional director of communications for hospitals and clinics across three states. 

Do you have to travel regularly between these three states as well (in non-virus times)?

1 minute ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Do you have to travel regularly between these three states as well (in non-virus times)?

Not usually.  I can do most of it virtually -- I have local spokesmen in each of the major hospitals I oversee (and we each have a group of smaller clinics under our direct purview as well).  I do travel to the various hospitals when we get a new spokesman there so I can meet with them and go over things with them, but I'm careful about who I hire and therefore they can usually be up and running independently in short order.   After that, it's mostly just emails, phone calls, and supporting them when there's a local emergency.

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

Not usually.  I can do most of it virtually -- I have local spokesmen in each of the major hospitals I oversee (and we each have a group of smaller clinics under our direct purview as well).  I do travel to the various hospitals when we get a new spokesman there so I can meet with them and go over things with them, but I'm careful about who I hire and therefore they can usually be up and running independently in short order.   After that, it's mostly just emails, phone calls, and supporting them when there's a local emergency.

Sounds not as stressful as I had imagined it after you stated that you are responsible for 3 (!) states :D 

Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Sounds not as stressful as I had imagined it after you stated that you are responsible for 3 (!) states :D 

Haha.  Some of the hospitals have better relationships with their local media than others do -- and the trouble spots tend to happen to coincide with where we have hospital directors who don't believe in the importance of media relations.  Those are my red-headed stepchildren who keep me up at night.  ;c)

Ironically, I oversee one of our largest hospitals in the nation and I never ever have to worry about them because they have competent local leadership.  It's the smaller ones who are constantly getting themselves into trouble with local media for trying to be smart instead of trying to be honest.

5 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Haha.  Some of the hospitals have better relationships with their local media than others do -- and the trouble spots tend to happen to coincide with where we have hospital directors who don't believe in the importance of media relations.  Those are my red-headed stepchildren who keep me up at night.  ;c)

Ironically, I oversee one of our largest hospitals in the nation and I never ever have to worry about them because they have competent local leadership.  It's the smaller ones who are constantly getting themselves into trouble with local media for trying to be smart instead of trying to be honest.

Very interesting. I guess that's because smaller hospitals also tend to have less experience in handling communication issues. If they have to do they are overstrained even with small tasks, while experienced institutions might be capable of handle even huge tasks without any major problems.

1 minute ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Very interesting. I guess that's because smaller hospitals also tend to have less experience in handling communication issues. If they have to do they are overstrained even with small tasks, while experienced institutions might be capable of handle even huge tasks without any major problems.

Certainly possible.  In my limited experience (I've only been doing this for 7 years), the people who get jobs directing the largest hospitals in the nation got there by proving their worth as directors of smaller hospitals first.  So a small hospital won't retain the good directors for long.

I admit it, I blame the Chinese government for this disaster. If they'd actually admitted they had an epidemic on their hands sooner, we wouldn't be in this mess now! That's what upsets me most, that they thought they could handle it on their own.