270soft Forum

On 5/2/2020 at 4:36 PM, Allyn said:

Hitting Change Campaign just brings up a completely black screen, with no way to exit out. Have to alt F4. For what it's worth, I didn't uninstall my old 3.1.1 stable version; should I have?

Edit: Okay, I was able to get it to load after emptying out my user_scenarios folder. Seems one of my pre-existing ones wasn't playing nice, just by virtue of existing... I'll have a look tomorrow, see if I can find out which one it was.

That's interesting. I've noted this.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/3/2020 at 3:44 PM, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Also new bug, on the 2020 scenario,I selected Libertarian as human, but it still would say that I need to select a human player.

I'm unable to recreate this - can you confirm steps to recreate this error?

Anyone else getting this message if they select Libertarians to play?

On 5/5/2020 at 10:42 PM, admin_270 said:

That's interesting. I've noted this.

Forgot to reply to this until now, but among the broken ones I found are:

United States 1988 (the one with V2 in the folder name, haven't checked the original), United States 2016 expanded, and France 2017. Having any one of them in the user_scenario folder broke the game for me, even if it was the only scenario there. Hopefully that will help you be able to narrow down whatever it is causing this :)

There are also some other ones I have which don't break the scenario setup screen, but when I select them to try and load them, nothing happens: it just doesn't change from whichever scenario was previously selected. Among those are Alabama Senate 2017 and United States 2000.

4 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I'm unable to recreate this - can you confirm steps to recreate this error?

Anyone else getting this message if they select Libertarians to play?

I don't have this problem, personally. Although when I try and start the default 2020 scenario with both Libertarians and Greens (playing with all default candidates, and as Chafee for the Libertarians), the game doesn't start; I just get a black screen.

12 hours ago, Allyn said:

Forgot to reply to this until now, but among the broken ones I found are:

Ya, there are some user designed campaigns that have to be properly processed before the game reads their XML. I've fixed this so it isn't checking user designed campaign files at all right now. In the future, I'll add in the ability to select campaigns beyond official ones.

13 hours ago, Allyn said:

Although when I try and start the default 2020 scenario with both Libertarians and Greens (playing with all default candidates, and as Chafee for the Libertarians), the game doesn't start; I just get a black screen.

Thanks for this - will verify.

I just wanted to put out a heads up and say that I encountered a fairly awful graphical glitch while finishing my 1836 and 1837 Scenario this morning where nearly all the buttons got blacked out in the scenario creator, I will take a screenshot it it occurs again.

8 hours ago, admin_270 said:

In the future, I'll add in the ability to select campaigns beyond official ones.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you were saying here, I seem to be able to do this already, fyi! See first attached screenshot.

Also, the sidebar with the percentages/seats/popular vote/momentum sometimes doesn't work for me. See, for example, the second attached screenshot, of a 3-way R-D-L fight in the default 2020 scenario. No idea what causes it.

asd1234.jpg

asd12345.jpg

14 hours ago, Allyn said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you were saying here, I seem to be able to do this already, fyi! See first attached screenshot.

At this point, I want to focus on testing official campaigns. There are technical reasons for this due to XML stuff. Allowing user designed campaigns to be loaded was unintentional, and caused some errors for people.

15 hours ago, Allyn said:

Also, the sidebar with the percentages/seats/popular vote/momentum sometimes doesn't work for me. See, for example, the second attached screenshot, of a 3-way R-D-L fight in the default 2020 scenario. No idea what causes it.

I have fixed one bug that was causing problems with this, if you get any more of this with the next Alpha update, please let me know.

10 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

At this point, I want to focus on testing official campaigns. There are technical reasons for this due to XML stuff. Allowing user designed campaigns to be loaded was unintentional, and caused some errors for people.

I have fixed one bug that was causing problems with this, if you get any more of this with the next Alpha update, please let me know.

Can we expect election testing for the next alpha? This is of course, the biggest part of the game, and I am guessing one that needs alot of testing no?

Just now, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Can me expect election testing for the next alpha? This is of course, the biggest part of the game, and I am guessing one that needs alot of testing no?

The next update will probably be released today. There won't be an election night, but it's one of the top priorities. Probably update after this coming one, and perhaps with an interim election results screen instead of a full blown election night screen.

9 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Oh, I see what you meant, got it :)

The new release does look like it's solved a lot of the issues I was having, including the sidebar not working. One new bug I've found though is that the strategy page is completely broken when playing the United States 2016 official scenario (in this screenshot it was as Johnson, but a quick check showed it happens to Clinton too, even in a scenario with the Libs turned off). As you can see in the top right, it's supposed to be showing regions 1-20, but something's going haywire:

asd123.jpg

On 5/8/2020 at 7:00 PM, Allyn said:

One new bug I've found though is that the strategy page is completely broken when playing the United States 2016 official scenario (in this screenshot it was as Johnson, but a quick check showed it happens to Clinton too, even in a scenario with the Libs turned off). As you can see in the top right, it's supposed to be showing regions 1-20, but something's going haywire

Not able to recreate this. Can you list specific steps after starting app to create this?

7 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Not able to recreate this. Can you list specific steps after starting app to create this?

Ah, after a bit more fiddling around, it only seems to happen if you load two different scenarios in the same session. So:

Start 2020 scenario, with just two parties, as Dem. Check strategy page. Exit to menu. Start 2016 scenario, with just two parties, as Dem. Check strategy page. May initially look not-wrong depending on polling RNG, but try and scroll down to the next selection of 20 states. That should break it for sure.

Some kind of caching issue, I would assume.

Another new bug: I can't run two ads in the same region (including nationwide) at the same time. The button to run the second ad triggers the on/off switch for the first ad, instead.

18 hours ago, Allyn said:

Ah, after a bit more fiddling around, it only seems to happen if you load two different scenarios in the same session. So:

Start 2020 scenario, with just two parties, as Dem. Check strategy page. Exit to menu. Start 2016 scenario, with just two parties, as Dem. Check strategy page. May initially look not-wrong depending on polling RNG, but try and scroll down to the next selection of 20 states. That should break it for sure.

Some kind of caching issue, I would assume.

Another new bug: I can't run two ads in the same region (including nationwide) at the same time. The button to run the second ad triggers the on/off switch for the first ad, instead.

Noted both of these - thanks for this.

The new release is feeling much better! Thanks. A few things I've spotted that could still do with some fixing:

• Training issue familiarity seems to be broken. When I click it, it directs me to choose a specific issue, like healthcare or free trade or whatever, which isn't a thing in the old code base stable releases. Clicking on an issue, any issue, and passing a turn doesn't seem to increase my familiarity skill at all, so the player can't counteract the natural decay of the skill.
  • I can't improve my campaign attributes on the Player Info page. Clicking on Command, Ads, Strategic, etc. has no impact In fact, if I click that after having an issue breakthrough, clicking the four buttons on the left allows me to select which breakthrough to use, which makes no sense.
  • If I run a nationwide ad and then go to the general strategy overview screen, it shows the progress of the ad, which it probably shouldn't.
  • If I schedule three different instances of the same type of action (like a rally or barnstorming) in one day, close the popup that allowed me to choose the specifics (state/target/issue), then I can't bring that pop up back until the following day. Clicking the button to rally/barnstorm just tells me I've already got three scheduled for today and can't add another. If I want to revise the specifics of the current day's rallies/barnstorming, I'm unable to do so.
  • The "Next debate" part of the Debate Prep popup seems to suffer the same caching(?) problem as the strategy page. If I start a game in the 1912 scenario, exit to the main menu, start a new game in the 2020 scenario, go to activities, hit the debate prep overview button, then it tells me I have -39405~ days until the next debate.
  • I've had a few instances of the 2020 scenario getting completely stuck, and no longer allowing me to advance days, but I've not been able to work out what triggers it... The 1912 scenario worked fine through until election night, though. Wish I could offer more details; maybe I'm not the only one experiencing it...?
  • 2 weeks later...

@admin_270

can you explain this to me.

my game runs just as fast (with the same amount of candidates) on my old laptop which is like a 8 year old 1.6 ghz laptop on windows 7.

as it does my brand new pc with the intel core i7 10700k that boosts to 5 ghz.

can you like uncap the engine? Cause it makes no sense to me. 

2 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

my game runs just as fast (with the same amount of candidates) on my old laptop which is like a 8 year old 1.6 ghz laptop on windows 7.

as it does my brand new pc with the intel core i7 10700k that boosts to 5 ghz.

You are referring to in between turns?

On 5/15/2020 at 8:23 PM, Allyn said:

The new release is feeling much better! Thanks. A few things I've spotted that could still do with some fixing

Thanks very much for this feedback! All noted.

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

You are referring to in between turns?

Yes.

with a large amount of candidates on you would expect the faster computer (faster I believe if I am correct taking all units into consideration) to atleast be a good bit faster. But with the same scenario with the same candidates in a test they each go the same speed. 

@admin_270

sorry not 50% faster 230% faster

9EEE8571-2998-4850-A939-361547871BD0.jpeg

1 minute ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Yes.

with a large amount of candidates on you would expect the faster computer (about 50x faster I believe if I am correct taking all units into consideration) to atleast be a good bit faster. But with the same scenario with the same candidates in a test they each go the same speed. 

That's strange. Can you tell me the start settings (campaign, who's on) and time in between first turn and then second turn, for each system?

One aspect might be that the game is running the game engine processing on a single thread, so multiple cores might not boost the speed much.

Just now, admin_270 said:

That's strange. Can you tell me the start settings (campaign, who's on) and time in between first turn and then second turn, for each system?

One aspect might be that the game is running the game engine processing on a single thread, so multiple cores might not boost the speed much.

Yes I will when I get back home, but as you see on the benchmark the single thread cpu speed is still 130% faster 

Yes I will when I get back home, but as you see on the benchmark the single thread cpu speed is still 130% faster 

This isn’t an issue in other games,at all,and is faster as it should be for comparisons,except President infinity and other infinity games

1 minute ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

130% faster than what?

This isn’t an issue in other games,at all,and is faster as it should be for comparisons,except President infinity and other infinity games

@admin_270

and as you see gpu isn’t an issue at all also...more than 5,800% faster than the computer with the old i5. And most likely more than that because this is comparing with a desktop 3000 graphics not laptop. 

B2CC40DA-13AE-46B3-87FD-6EB6FA8B63A2.jpeg