270soft Forum

Hey guys,

Well after a long break and a trip to Britain I decided to get cracking on scenarios again. My current one is only about 35% done, but it's coming along nicely. Basically its a union of the english-speaking world (currently USA, Canada sans Quebec, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand though I'm taking suggestions on other countries to add). I've drawn heavily from the Expansionist Party of the United States homepage and will likely continue to do so. I'm still waiting for permission to use the British Isles portion of the map (by Willie Ausken) but I thought I'd give you a peak so far:

map1mt.png

I really hope that worked, I'm new to image shack. Special thanks to HRC for letting me use the North American portion from his UNA scenario. But in any case, those are the countries I've added so far. I'm strongly considering adding Israel and possibly the Philippines as well as cutting down on the number of American states by merging some of the smaller ones together (especially in New England).

The first scenario is going to be the race for President for the new United States for Liberty (name is tentative). Later on I might do races for the USL Paliament and/or Senate. There will be three major parties and one minor one. I'm not entirely certain about the names yet but currently I have them as Republican (center-right to right), Democrat (center-left), and Labor (left). The fourth slot will be filled by the Sovereignty Alliance, a left-right coalition party opposed to the merger for various reasons.

It's coming along nicely so far, though I'm stuck on where to find information on Irish and Kiwi (New Zealand) politics that will give me some basis upon which to split the electorates for each party. If I have to I'll guess, but I'd rather it be plausible and dynamic at the same time. I also don't want the election to be a sure thing for any of the three parties, as I'm going to try and use the regional centers to make different states fit different pieces of each platform (as it is in real life).

Example: Israel would be moderate on social issues, liberal on fiscal, and conservative on foreign policy...meaning that if I were to add it to the USL, it would likely become a contest between the Republicans and Labor in Israel. The U.K on the other hand would likely be between the Democrats and Labor, while most of the U.S. would swing between the Repubs and Dems.

What do you guys think about the idea? And do you have any info on New Zealand or Ireland or perhaps even suggestions for more countries to add?

I take it you mean Jamaica? I think it would be too small to be made into a state of its own...perhaps I'll add the West Indies as one like HRC did.

As for the "colour", I'd rather not add countries just because they happen to be dominated by one race or another. The idea behind this one is to combine the territories of the former British Empire that speak English primarily and have a similar culture (which is why I'm still hesitant to add Israel).

If it goes over well, I'll probably do a scenario where sub-saharan Africa forms a confederation, but I'd like to get deeper into my Politics of the Third World class so I have more knowledge of African politics. Right now I think I have a pretty good grasp of European, Middle Eastern, and North American politics, but I don't really know enought about Africa to do the scenario yet.

Nevertheless, I'll look into South Africa and see if it would fit...could make things interesting to say the least.

What happened to Quebec? It's just randomly not there.

Not random at all. A week or so ago one of the Quebecois of the board pointed out that Canada joining the United States would likely result in the secessionists finally triumphing. The idea being that Quebec would rather be independent than part of America...I happen to agree with this assessment so Quebec is not going to be part of the USL.

Thats a really cool site Ronnie

Yeah, I don't happen to agree with a lot of XPUSA's stances on the issues or their overall goal (as a Christian, I'm opposed to the idea of a one-world government run by anyone other than Christ), but they have certainly researched things like how many votes each part of a country would get and what not. A great resource for those doing this type of scenario.

As far as the scenario itself goes, I've decided to do a serious overhaul of the northeastern United States. I've now combined New England into one state (24 electoral votes) and I'm planning to split New Jersey in half with the south going to Pennsylvania (making 25 votes) and the north to New York (making 40 votes). Delaware and Maryland will also be joined making an 11 vote state. Once I get to Australia, I may combine a few provinces since I doubt they all justify their own state (population wise of course...I'm sure all are very nice provinces).

Thanks Willie! Yeah any info on Irish politics would be appreciated. What I need to know in particular is how the electorate behaves (how much support they give to the right as opposed to the left). Right now I'm extrapolating electorate trends for the U.S. and Canada, and then I'll be moving on to the British Isles (probably tonight after my 3:20 class.

Yeah I've been thinking about the party names and will probably change the name of the Republicans...especially since I'm using blue as the new party's color (I like the non-US color coding better). I'd like to give it a cool name though...we'll see.

Having two parties on the left is the inspiration I had for how to balance the scenario and make it more dynamic. My thought was that if I were to do a pure leftist party vs. rightist party, we'd see right-wingers like myself get pasted every time...not a very interesting scenario.

One thing I am thinking of is making a whole series of USL scenarios chronicling the new nation's first years. In that case, I'd probably have the two liberal parties unify down the road in order to stop the conservatives. But this is all just brainstorming.

Here's my progress so far. This is the current intro screen with the parties listed at the bottom:

screen28tw.png

An here's the map as it stands. I've pretty much finished America, Canada, Britain, Ireland, and Israel. I obviously still have to do Australia and New Zealand as well as fix Tasmania at the bottom.

screen15oe.gif

To tell you the truth, I'm surprised at how balanced it has come out thus far. I was worried when I started that one side or the other would have a huge advantage at the beginning. As far as the map goes, note that the borders came out pretty distorted because of the bmp->gif conversion. Also, I changed all the state abbreviations to a single asterisk...it was just getting to be too cluttered.

Any comments?

Looks fantastic Johnny!

LoL....HRC did you have a brain fart?

I just have on little question, why did you put Isreal in?

It's part of the story that I'm appending to the scenario. Basically the USL was formed to protect the free world from terrorism and Marxism, Israel fits perfectly with at least the first part. Israel is also a source of contention in the scenario itself, as not all the parties believe it should be part of the union.

I've pretty much finished the issues and such, so once the map is complete I'll begin adding candidates. At the very least I'm going to add these:

Conservative:

George W. Bush (US)

Stephen Harper (CA)

Michael Howard (UK)

John Howard (AU)

John Anderson (AU)

Ariel Sharon (IS)

Progressive:

Hillary Clinton (US)

John Kerry (US)

Tony Blair (UK)

Mark Latham (AU)

Labor:

Howard Dean (US)

Jack Layton (CA)

Gordon Brown (UK)

Charles Kennedy (UK)

Bob Brown (AU)

Shimon Peres (IS)

Sovereignty:

Pat Buchanan (US)

Roger Knapman (UK)

Obviously I need to add people from Ireland and New Zealand. Plus I need to figure out some more Separatists as well as a Canadian Progressive to replace Paul Martin (who is from Quebec, not part of the USL). Any ideas?

Hey Willie, thanks for the info. Yeah if you could send it to me that would be awesome. Are those three that you mentioned in it? Otherwise I can look for pictures on the net.

Once I get each party up to about ten candidates each (getting pretty close) and do the regional centers (haven't even started this yet) I think it will be about ready for submission.

The regional centers ought to make things really interesting as you'll need to choose your message carefully no matter what party you play as in order to avoid offending too many people. Social issues should be particularly interesting as opinions will range from left to right depending on where you are in the USL. (If you don't like abortion, don't campaign on it in London...by the same token if you like gay marriage don't campaign on it in Alabama).

I've tested it and won as both the two major parties and had a good shot with Labor. Sovereignty isn't really strong enough to win but I was able to make a serious splash.

• 1 month later...
LoL....HRC did you have a brain fart?

It's part of the story that I'm appending to the scenario. Basically the USL was formed to protect the free world from terrorism and Marxism, Israel fits perfectly with at least the first part. Israel is also a source of contention in the scenario itself, as not all the parties believe it should be part of the union.

I've pretty much finished the issues and such, so once the map is complete I'll begin adding candidates. At the very least I'm going to add these:

Conservative:

George W. Bush (US)

Stephen Harper (CA)

Michael Howard (UK)

John Howard (AU)

John Anderson (AU)

Ariel Sharon (IS)

Progressive:

Hillary Clinton (US)

John Kerry (US)

Tony Blair (UK)

Mark Latham (AU)

Labor:

Howard Dean (US)

Jack Layton (CA)

Gordon Brown (UK)

Charles Kennedy (UK)

Bob Brown (AU)

Shimon Peres (IS)

Sovereignty:

Pat Buchanan (US)

Roger Knapman (UK)

Obviously I need to add people from Ireland and New Zealand. Plus I need to figure out some more Separatists as well as a Canadian Progressive to replace Paul Martin (who is from Quebec, not part of the USL). Any ideas?

Updated List

Conservative:

George W. Bush (US)

Stephen Harper (CA)

Stockwell Day (CA)

Joe Clark(CA)

Jim Prentice(CA)

Catherine Clark(CA)

John Tory(CA)

Michael Howard (UK)

John Howard (AU)

John Anderson (AU)

Ariel Sharon (IS)

Bertie Ahern (IS)

David Trimble (IS)

Progressive:

Hillary Clinton (US)

John Kerry (US)

Al Gore (US)

Scott Brison(CA)

Labor:

Howard Dean (US)

Ralph Nader (US)

Jack Layton (CA)

Belinda Stronach (CA)

Gordon Brown (UK)

Charles Kennedy (UK)

Tony Blair (UK)

Bob Brown (AU)

Mark Latham (AU)

Shimon Peres (IS)

Gerry Adams (IS)

Helen Clark (NZ)

Sovereignty:

Pat Buchanan (US)

Roger Knapman (UK)

Ian Paisley (IS)

Yeah I'm about ready to submit this one, I'll probably do it today actually. Sorry its taken so long...got a new girlfriend in the interim. I'll just make some touch-ups and check for spelling errors and then it should be good to go.

As for the idea that I'd move Belinda Stronach into the Labor party :rolleyes:

Updated List

Conservative:

George W. Bush (US)

Stephen Harper (CA)

Stockwell Day (CA)

Joe Clark(CA)

Jim Prentice(CA)

Catherine Clark(CA)

John Tory(CA)

Michael Howard (UK)

John Howard (AU)