270soft Forum

It's the apocalypse decade, isn't it?

52 minutes ago, Wiw said:

This year's an annus horribilis. And believe me, the worst is yet to come!

It probably is, but probably not as fast or predictably as you claim, and an egotistical, incompetent, clumsy buffoon like Trump is NOT the big and great enemy of the world you make him out to be. There will likely also be worse than him. But you make him out as though he were the Antichrist - when he hasn't achieved a SINGLE feat or performed a single act Christian eschatological prophecy says the Antichrist will do, and he has no False Prophet figure. 

14 minutes ago, wolves said:

Not even the worst president of the 2000s.

That’s debatable. I used to think Bush was worse. Now, I’m undecided. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

That’s debatable. I used to think Bush was worse. Now, I’m undecided. 

Bush is so bad to me cause of his post-presidency impact, as in how we are now still playing in a field that he helped create, still dealing with problems he made in Afghanistan and Iraq, a border wall he poorly built so now each president (Obama and Trump included) need to find a way to fix it and also the kids in cages, Patriot Act that is STILL a hotbed political issue 19 years later, No Child Left Behind damaged a lot of children, CIA torture was authorized by him and he called it one of the most valuable tools of the War on Terror.

I don't think Trump will have anything that significant, for him, his impact will lie in shifting the Supreme Court to the Conservative side,there's nothing in opinion that will remotely get near to invading Iraq, Afghanistan, Patriot ACT and NSA. Trump's issues are his immigration stances and then what he did to limit immigration, putting children in cages. Dubya already did that, he started it lol. 

• Like 1

@Wiw Can I ask your approximate age bracket? 

I wonder whether this is a simple example of a young person only starting to question the world around them, or the opposite -- a phenomenon my wife introduced me to (as a hospice nurse) -- older individuals who are beginning to realize they are near the end of their life begin believing the end of the world is coming for unclear reasons (Because it's hard to imagine the world without themselves in it?  Because it's something to look forward to if you're going to die anyway?  Undiagnosed dementia?  Who knows.)

25 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I wonder whether this is a simple example of a young person only starting to question the world around them, or the opposite -- a phenomenon my wife introduced me to (as a hospice nurse) -- older individuals who are beginning to realize they are near the end of their life begin believing the end of the world is coming for unclear reasons (Because it's hard to imagine the world without themselves in it?  Because it's something to look forward to if you're going to die anyway?  Undiagnosed dementia?  Who knows.)

I think being on the older side of things might be blessing in disguise, @Actinguy. I don't think what the children and adolescents of today are going to have to deal with when we're safely and comfortably dead is going to very enviable. But my grim forecast is not nearly as imminent or melodramatic as @Wiw's.

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

I'm halfway through my 20s.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, wolves said:

Not even the worst president of the 2000s.

Gonna have to disagree with you there Chief.

@vcczar As far as my rankings are concerned Trump has made it all the way to 42nd place. I’ve only got A. Johnson and Buchanan as being worse.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

And you know what? I don't expect a good ending to the year either. Why work hard on getting your guy to win when things have gone so badly wrong this year that there's not a chance in hell he would get that far?! In fact, I expect Trump to win! I expect him to win another term and totally destroy America's superpower status!!

15 minutes ago, Wiw said:

And you know what? I don't expect a good ending to the year either. Why work hard on getting your guy to win when things have gone so badly wrong this year that there's not a chance in hell he would get that far?! In fact, I expect Trump to win! I expect him to win another term and totally destroy America's superpower status!!

I went on a school tour of Europe in the 90's.  I don't even remember which country it was...maybe England, since the sign was in English...but there was a crazy looking guy holding a sign on a corner that said "THE APOCALYPSE IS COMING!!!"

That's all the sign said, and the man wasn't saying anything.  

And I thought...if you REALLY believed the apocalypse was coming...would you really spend your final days just quietly holding up a sign on a corner that didn't actually give anybody any actual actionable information?

If you believe Trump is definitely going to be re-elected, AND you believe he's going to cause an apocalypse, why on EARTH would you be making zero effort to stop him?

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I went on a school tour of Europe in the 90's.  I don't even remember which country it was...maybe England, since the sign was in English...but there was a crazy looking guy holding a sign on a corner that said "THE APOCALYPSE IS COMING!!!"

That's all the sign said, and the man wasn't saying anything.  

And I thought...if you REALLY believed the apocalypse was coming...would you really spend your final days just quietly holding up a sign on a corner that didn't actually give anybody any actual actionable information?

If you believe Trump is definitely going to be re-elected, AND you believe he's going to cause an apocalypse, why on EARTH would you be making zero effort to stop him?

The fatalist mentality may be difficult for many to understand, but part of it is the belief that nothing can be done, all attempts to avert disaster are in vain, and the inevitable comes regardless. Norse Pagan Fatalism, Gnostic thinking, and Calvinist Predeterminism seem to be the biggest sources of that viewpoint in Western thought, but it often takes hold of a person's psyche and worldview thoroughly. It's possibly a histrionically self-justified version of deep depression.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

The fatalist mentality may be difficult for many to understand, but part of it is the belief that nothing can be done, all attempts to avert disaster are in vain, and the inevitable comes regardless. Norse Pagan Fatalism, Gnostic thinking, and Calvinist Predeterminism seem to be the biggest sources of that viewpoint in Western thought, but it often takes hold of a person's psyche and worldview thoroughly. It's possibly a histrionically self-justified version of deep depression.

I understand it, and certainly don't deny that it exists, I'm simply pointing out that it's self-defeating.  

I'll give you an example from my own life.  Generally speaking, I believe good things are going to happen to me in the long run.  Not because I'm better or smarter or more deserving.  But just because more good things than bad have happened to me, and I expect that trend will likely continue.

My wife, on the other hand, believes that mostly bad things are going to happen in the long run.  Again, not because she has bad qualities or deserves bad things, but because she can point to bad things that have happened before and extrapolate that her life will continue on that path.

Who is right and who is wrong?  When we first began dating, we had had different lives up to that point and so who could really say?  Maybe I truly am just lucky and she truly just isn't.

But then I noticed a difference:  we both have bad things happen to us.  We're married now, after all, so neither of us is experiencing life in a bubble.  We have a joint checking account, we own a house together, we're both raising the same child.    If something bad is happening, it's probably hitting both of us about the same.  

So we'd get a message from our landlord (pre house ownership) saying we have to pay thousands of dollars because of whatever bullshit reason, and my wife would just go "Oh man, that sucks, how typical, that's life, let me go get the checkbook."  Because she expects bad things to happen, and here's just another example proving her right.

But me?  I'm shocked that a bad thing happened.  What in the world...how could we possibly owe thousands of dollars?  This is crazy!  This is not a good thing, and therefore is extremely unexpected.  Let me dive into this.  And so I carefully read our lease and discover that not only do we not owe thousands of dollars at all, but in fact they owe us our full deposit refunded with interest.  A good thing has happened after all!  (And yes, that is an actual real life example that actually happened to us).

So...at least to a certain degree, bad things happen to my wife because she ACCEPTS bad things happening to her.  But bad things generally don't happen to me, at least in part, because I don't accept them.  Bad things START to happen, sure, but I push back until it turns into a good thing.  Because I am confident it will eventually turn into a good thing if I'm willing to put in the effort to make it so.

That's not a cure all and doesn't work 100% of the time, obviously.  I probably wouldn't have the power to "optimism for the win!" cancer away, for example.  But I would at least try to fight the cancer, which would certainly improve my chances over my wife who would just accept cancer as something that she can't beat so why try.

All that is to say:  bad things generally happen to people who don't try to stop them.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

Easy - because I don't have the power.

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, Wiw said:

I don't understand quite how I'm supposed to cast a vote in an election that's taking place in another country.

Standby, I’ll PM you the link to the site we Democrats are using to fraudulently swing the election via mail in ballots.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Standby, I’ll PM you the link to the site we Democrats are using to fraudulently swing the election via mail in ballots.

Can you send me that link too? I promise I'll vote Biden. 🤞

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Wiw said:

I don't understand quite how I'm supposed to cast a vote in an election that's taking place in another country.

You're on an online forum for an election game... Votes don't come until the end after the work.

Take campaign action here right from your computer no matter your age or citizenship: https://joebiden.com/take-action/

On 8/17/2020 at 8:13 PM, Patine said:

You know what, you’re right. I am in a state of deep depression. Great job on pointing that one out for me! You’re very observant.