270soft Forum

It's the apocalypse decade, isn't it?

As you could probably guess from the title, I'm now totally convinced this is the apocalypse. The way global politics is going, I can foresee history repeating itself and some kind of catastrophe will knock the world back to the Stone Age. The stock markets are already crashing because of CoViD, so a Second Great Depression is practically guaranteed - we're finding scapegoats for it, at the risk of civil war, or worse - and to cap it all, our governments just plain DON'T CARE.

Basically, don't be surprised if you wake up one morning and find yourself in a pile of smoldering ashes for a world this year! ūüėß

10 minutes ago, Wiw said:

As you could probably guess from the title, I'm now totally convinced this is the apocalypse. The way global politics is going, I can foresee history repeating itself and some kind of catastrophe will knock the world back to the Stone Age. The stock markets are already crashing because of CoViD, so a Second Great Depression is practically guaranteed - we're finding scapegoats for it, at the risk of civil war, or worse - and to cap it all, our governments just plain DON'T CARE.

Basically, don't be surprised if you wake up one morning and find yourself in a pile of smoldering ashes for a world this year! ūüėß

I'm a little reluctant to embrace this view. We've seen far worse --- Spanish Flu 1918-1919 (killed my grandmother's two oldest siblings, along with millions of others), near nuclear annihilation in the Cold War, two World Wars, 19th century cholera epidemics, Colonial Era smallpox epidemics, which may have killed 70+% of all natives of the New World, the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic War (arguably an earlier World War), which also saw some of the most chaotic "Democratic" government feasible to humankind. This is just a small sample of situations that are much worse than today. 

This pandemic is not the worst that we've seen. Donald Trump is not even our worst president (although he's definitely in the bottom 10). The potential for apocalyptic warfare has actually decreases, although the change still exists. Our medicine and our technology is more advanced, allowing for, in some ways, a better world than we've ever had before. If anything is apocalyptic about our time--it isn't coronavirus or stock markets---it's climate change. Aside from our climate crisis, I'd say we're in a relatively peaceful time in human history, considering most of our recorded history. 

Yeah! Even without all that, most of us are sticking our heads in the sand on the climate. Even if the immediate effects don't kill us - and I doubt they will - we'll be in for a collapsing food chain, mass migration and more war. Not to mention rampant overpopulation. There's no upside!

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

Actually, it's not REALLY as bad as we're led to believe. You'd never know, if it weren't for the sensationalist, hyperbolic, over-the-top, ratings-driven, yellow-journalism-dominated, opinions-and-partisan-bias-over-truth-based media that we actually live in one the safest, most tolerant, and most peaceful eras of recorded history, we have not remotely come close to the Great Depression economically, the great tyrants of the '20's-'40's no longer govern on the Earth, and those of their ilk don't seem an imminent possibility, and COVID-19 is pitiful small potatoes compared to what the Spanish Flu was. The media is the problem! And I know that's showing agreement with something Donald Trump SAID - but the fact is, he ONLY won the Republican Primaries, and then General Election, in 2016, in my firm retroactive analysis, because of free media coverage, even if negative. I strongly believe he would have been forced to drop out of the 2016 GOP Primaries early on if not for that.

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

The media is the problem!

Don't we know it! But it's not like we can challenge it, not without bringing down freedom of speech.

10 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

This is going to be a bad time for the next 4 months to a year.

But it is not going to be the end of civilization as we know it.

And for myself and certain other posters here, including arguably @Wiw, it might not be as bad as for American posters (though, I admit, I don't entirely trust Boris Johnson in the UK, and the Canadian Federal Government is not quite on solid footing, politically, and I detest, politically, the current Alberta Premier with a passion), but there are nations in the world whose governments and economies are far worse than that any of the nations any of us here live in (of which I've spoken to immigrants to Canada from a fair number of them who have been quite candid and open about discussing "back home").

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

You still have the means to post on 270soft Forum.  That means the world is nowhere near apocalypse.

1 hour ago, billay said:

I always thought it would be if the Chiefs got a franchise QB never even thought about winning a super bowl

Well what's that gotta do with anything?

7 hours ago, billay said:

I always thought it would be if the Chiefs got a franchise QB never even thought about winning a super bowl

6 hours ago, Wiw said:

Well what's that gotta do with anything?

Yes, that's kind of a braindead comment @billay

This reminds me to an extent of Y2K. Because I understood a bit of the technical side, I couldn't square that with what some people were worried about. Production chain hiccups, sure, but armageddon? 

The tip-off it's not reason-based in this one is that people are stockpiling toilet paper and bottled water - neither makes much sense.

Just now, billay said:

Get a sense of humor. It means it's the sign of the apocalypse. 

Humour is subjective. That doesn't come across to me as funny at all. Maybe because I'm not interested in professional sports AT ALL - but, again, more proof at how subjective humour is. Thus "get a sense of humour," as a sharp retort to what the other considers and out-of-context, bizarre, or obtuse statement is not showing a sense of perspective, there. In fact, it makes you (or anyone who does it) look quite daft.

Just now, Patine said:

Humour is subjective. That doesn't come across to me as funny at all. Maybe because I'm not interested in professional sports AT ALL - but, again, more proof at how subjective humour is. Thus "get a sense of humour," as a sharp retort to what the other considers and out-of-context, bizarre, or obtuse statement is not showing a sense of perspective, there. In fact, it makes you (or anyone who does it) look quite daft.

Yes it's clear you don't follow sports. It was a sports reference to my favorite team winning it all after 50 years being known as seriously underpreforming. most football fans would get the reference some would even appreciate it,

I'm treating this like the Democrat party and striving for unity on this board *lifts Patines arm in unity* were all good folks lets continue our debates and just be happy we have our health given what this world is facing.

10 minutes ago, billay said:

I'm treating this like the Democrat party and striving for unity on this board *lifts Patines arm in unity* were all good folks lets continue our debates and just be happy we have our health given what this world is facing.

It's the Democratic Party not "Democrat" party.

52 minutes ago, billay said:

Yes it's clear you don't follow sports. It was a sports reference to my favorite team winning it all after 50 years being known as seriously underpreforming. most football fans would get the reference some would even appreciate it,

For what it's worth, I thought it was hilarious. 

Then again... I'm a Jags fan. Take anything I say with a grain of salt :(

Just now, Herbert Hoover said:

For what it's worth, I thought it was hilarious. 

Then again... I'm a Jags fan. Take anything I say with a grain of salt :(

Hey you guys passed on Mahomes for Fournette! The good news is you're on a good trajectory for Lawrence :)

1 hour ago, billay said:

Hey you guys passed on Mahomes for Fournette! The good news is you're on a good trajectory for Lawrence :)

Fournette seemed like a good investment at the time.

@Patine could never understand us. 

DUUUUUUU VAAAAAAAAAL! 

1 hour ago, Jayavarman said:

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Intelligent and rational people do not fall for such self-serving claptrap. And, as I've told @Wiw several times, there is NO "apocalypse decade," in any meaningful viewpoint.

• 3 months later...
On 3/14/2020 at 9:18 PM, vcczar said:

I'm a little reluctant to embrace this view. We've seen far worse --- Spanish Flu 1918-1919 (killed my grandmother's two oldest siblings, along with millions of others), near nuclear annihilation in the Cold War, two World Wars, 19th century cholera epidemics, Colonial Era smallpox epidemics, which may have killed 70+% of all natives of the New World, the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic War (arguably an earlier World War), which also saw some of the most chaotic "Democratic" government feasible to humankind. This is just a small sample of situations that are much worse than today. 

This pandemic is not the worst that we've seen. Donald Trump is not even our worst president (although he's definitely in the bottom 10). The potential for apocalyptic warfare has actually decreases, although the change still exists. Our medicine and our technology is more advanced, allowing for, in some ways, a better world than we've ever had before. If anything is apocalyptic about our time--it isn't coronavirus or stock markets---it's climate change. Aside from our climate crisis, I'd say we're in a relatively peaceful time in human history, considering most of our recorded history. 

Not even the worst president of the 2000s.