270soft Forum

We are closer than we've ever been to nuclear war.

Wiw

The Doomsday Clock has been set to 1 2/3 minutes to midnight - the closest to midnight it's ever been. Increasingly likely threats of nuclear war, the end of the INF Treaty, increased tensions between the US and Iran, and no real attempt to combat climate change. Granted, it's not a massive step, but action must be taken now!

13 minutes ago, Wiw said:

The Doomsday Clock has been set to 1 2/3 minutes to midnight - the closest to midnight it's ever been. Increasingly likely threats of nuclear war, the end of the INF Treaty, increased tensions between the US and Iran, and no real attempt to combat climate change. Granted, it's not a massive step, but action must be taken now!

I think we are closer to a climate apocalypse than a nuclear apocalypse. Even if we get on board with climate initiatives to combat climate change, it won't matter anything at all if China and India aren't on board also (and both of them!). India, and some of the poorer industrialized countries really can't even afford to produce and also combat climate change. Basically, US and China would have to find it profitable to outsource cheap climate-combating products to countries that would struggle to compete economically if it increased regulations. The sad thing is that money and production will be the priority up until the day we destroy our own world.  A good portion will have no qualms of destroying the world because they believe they're going to a better one in the future. If no one believed in an afterlife, there'd probably be more people trying to save the planet and improve people's lives. 

I’ve been down inside the nuclear misses silos.

Nobody is going to follow Trump’s order to make a preemptive nuclear strike, I absolutely guarantee it.

The only way those missiles are leaving is in retaliation against another country starting the nuclear war first.

Everyone in those silos understands what’s at stake, including their own lives and the lives of their loved ones.

This is the ONLY thing I’m not worried about despite Trump being in charge.

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think we are closer to a climate apocalypse than a nuclear apocalypse. Even if we get on board with climate initiatives to combat climate change, it won't matter anything at all if China and India aren't on board also (and both of them!). India, and some of the poorer industrialized countries really can't even afford to produce and also combat climate change. Basically, US and China would have to find it profitable to outsource cheap climate-combating products to countries that would struggle to compete economically if it increased regulations. The sad thing is that money and production will be the priority up until the day we destroy our own world.  A good portion will have no qualms of destroying the world because they believe they're going to a better one in the future. If no one believed in an afterlife, there'd probably be more people trying to save the planet and improve people's lives. 

Well... I mean, China are trying, for what it's worth. They're phasing out single-use plastics.

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

Nobody is going to follow Trump’s order to make a preemptive nuclear strike, I absolutely guarantee it.

The only way those missiles are leaving is in retaliation against another country starting the nuclear war first.

Everyone in those silos understands what’s at stake, including their own lives and the lives of their loved ones.

The only country that I really fear in causing a nuclear war is Pakistan. It's the only current nuclear country that could feasibly be taken over by a religious radical government. Iran and North Korea haven't any real nukes. I don't think Russia, India, Israel, UK, France, China or the US have any incentive for starting a nuclear war, know that this is the same for others, and are unlikely to be overtaken by religious radicals that would welcome an "end of days" scenarios. Pakistan is the only potential worry. Should North Korea get real nukes, they would be only in the event the Kim Dynasty is threatened to be overthrown. Iran, despite being led by an Ayatollah, is actually a very literate, cultured, and logical society, despite our own propaganda. They have the 2nd highest literacy rate in the Middle Eastern region behind Israel, for instance. They also have a very large liberal minority in the country, who are often the protesters in that country. I think after this Ayatollah, the government could reform to adapt to the times. They may still have an chief Ayatollah as a religious figure head only. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Mammon will be the Destroying (Fallen) Angel long before Ashmodel or Ba'alsamon.

3 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I've been telling him "the Red Button," is Hollywood and pop culture for some time now. It doesn't seem to be sinking into his skull, though.

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

The only country that I really fear in causing a nuclear war is Pakistan. It's the only current nuclear country that could feasibly be taken over by a religious radical government. Iran and North Korea haven't any real nukes. I don't think Russia, India, Israel, UK, France, China or the US have any incentive for starting a nuclear war, know that this is the same for others, and are unlikely to be overtaken by religious radicals that would welcome an "end of days" scenarios. Pakistan is the only potential worry. Should North Korea get real nukes, they would be only in the event the Kim Dynasty is threatened to be overthrown. Iran, despite being led by an Ayatollah, is actually a very literate, cultured, and logical society, despite our own propaganda. They have the 2nd highest literacy rate in the Middle Eastern region behind Israel, for instance. They also have a very large liberal minority in the country, who are often the protesters in that country. I think after this Ayatollah, the government could reform to adapt to the times. They may still have an chief Ayatollah as a religious figure head only. 

The Council of Guardians (the 12-member Council of Islamic Jurists chaired by the Ayatollah Ali Kheimani, and formerly the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, until his death in 1989), does not "govern" Iran, despite Western stereotype - an elected President and bicameral Parliament in contested, multi-party elections do. The role of the Council of Guardians is to "step in" when a law or act of said elected government would "transgress" their interpretation of Shi'a Sect Islamic Law, or to adjudicate disputes or lacks of clarity (notably election results). An American author of dystopian fiction in the '90's wrote a novel where Evangelical "Christian" Fundamentalists had taken over American government completely and totally (a popular theme in the dystopian sub-genre), but, inspired Iran's government system, the author had the apparati of U.S. Constitutional Government remain intact, but with the addition of a council of Evangelical Calvinist and Baptist Protestant "Christian" Reverends that fulfilled the same role as the Iranian Council of Guardians. Just like the "Hunger Games," used the run-down, dirt poor, starving rural "numbered areas," and the pampered, but still oppressed socially, "Capital City," inspired by the North Korean Provinces versus Pyongyang.

This is our inheritance: a world destroyed by greed, spite and apathy. I look at the future and see global warming, WWIII, unemployement, political unstability, poison in everything we eat, the earth and animals dying all around us!

You know if you ask someone in the 50s how they imagine the future would be? The war hadn’t been over for long and yet it was all positive with like peace and flying cars and such. You don't get that nowadays; we all know we're doomed, and worse, nobody cares!

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

This is our inheritance: a world destroyed by greed, spite and apathy. I look at the future and see global warming, WWIII, unemployement, political unstability, poison in everything we eat, the earth and animals dying all around us!

You know if you ask someone in the 50s how they imagine the future would be? The war hadn’t been over for long and yet it was all positive with like peace and flying cars and such. You don't get that nowadays; we all know we're doomed, and worse, nobody cares!

These things (other than WW3, which is always a phantom boogeyman that looms with "threats," but never actually happens, because all the main world powers have cooler heads who can actually stop hot-headed visible faces from demanding nuclear responses - because there are no "Red Buttons"), have been a threat for several decades, and are more a "slow demise thing," - in fact, it's quite possible of us here might not live to see such an end. And, let's be frank, for all of his many, many flaws, Trump, nor any other single leader - or even single government or single nation, is completely to blame for this stacking problem. Once again - perspective and proportion!

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

The kids that grew up with that 50's vision gave us the world we have today