270soft Forum

Charismatic, Likable, Unlikable, or Uncharismatic

Who you think would be considered charismatic, likable, unlikable, and/or uncharismatic out of the politicians listed below. Try to consider this in regards to what scholars might say about them 20 years from now. 

I define the difference between charismatic and likable like this: a likable person is approachable, hard to dislike, someone you'd like to work with or for, while a charismatic has a kind of personal magnetic power that even appeals to people that might disagree strongly with the politicians platform. An uncharismatic person is just a boring, "low energy," buzzkill, who generates no excitement, except perhaps those that completely align with this politician on the issues. Unlikable generates a negative reaction from everyone but their most loyal followers, and could even energize opposition as much as they energize their base. 

Bill Clinton

Al Gore

George W Bush

Dick Cheney

John Kerry

John McCain

Mitt Romney

Sarah Palin

Barack Obama

Joe Biden

Donald Trump

Mike Pence

John Kasich

Ted Cruz

Marco Rubio

Jeb Bush

Bernie Sanders

Hillary Clinton

Tim Kaine

Pete Buttigieg

Elizabeth Warren

Andrew Yang

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

It's difficult to separate personality from politics with some of these guys.  But I'll do my best.  

Bill Clinton - Likeable and charismatic (in his prime -- less charismatic now)

Al Gore - Uncharismatic

John Kerry - Uncharismatic, arguably unlikeable.

John McCain - Likeable

Mitt Romney - Uncharismatic

Sarah Palin - Likeable

Barack Obama - Likeable, charismatic

Joe Biden - Likeable, charismatic (in his prime - less charismatic now)

Donald Trump - uncharismatic, unlikeable

Mike Pence - uncharismatic.  I'm inclined to also say unlikeable, but that's probably more about the homophobia than it is his innate personality.  

John Kasich - Likeable, uncharismatic 

Ted Cruz - Unlikeable, charismatic

Marco Rubio - Likeable

Jeb Bush - Likeable, uncharismatic

Bernie Sanders - Likeable

Hillary Clinton - This is a very tough one, divorced from politics.  I'm going to go with likeable.  But she might be none of the above.

Tim Kaine - Uncharismatic.

Pete Buttigieg - Likeable

Elizabeth Warren - Likeable

Andrew Yang - Likeable, uncharismatic

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - unlikeable

36 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Notably missing is George W Bush.  I'd say likeable but uncharismatic.

Thanks. Added him and Cheney to the original post

Bill Clinton - unlikeable

Al Gore - uncharismatic

George W Bush - likeable

Dick Cheney - uncharismatic

John Kerry - uncharismatic

John McCain - charismatic

Mitt Romney - uncharismatic

Sarah Palin - charismatic

Barack Obama - charismatic

Joe Biden - likeable

Donald Trump - unlikeable

Mike Pence - uncharismatic

John Kasich - uncharismatic

Ted Cruz - charismatic

Marco Rubio - charismatic

Jeb Bush - uncharismatic, likeable

Bernie Sanders - uncharismatic, likeable

Hillary Clinton - unlikeable, uncharismatic

Tim Kaine - uncharismatic

Pete Buttigieg - charismatic, unlikeable

Elizabeth Warren - charismatic

Andrew Yang - charismatic, likeable

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - unlikeable, charismatic

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

Who you think would be considered charismatic, likable, unlikable, and/or uncharismatic out of the politicians listed below. Try to consider this in regards to what scholars might say about them 20 years from now. 

I define the difference between charismatic and likable like this: a likable person is approachable, hard to dislike, someone you'd like to work with or for, while a charismatic has a kind of personal magnetic power that even appeals to people that might disagree strongly with the politicians platform. An uncharismatic person is just a boring, "low energy," buzzkill, who generates no excitement, except perhaps those that completely align with this politician on the issues. Unlikable generates a negative reaction from everyone but their most loyal followers, and could even energize opposition as much as they energize their base. 

Bill Clinton: Likable

Al Gore: Uncharismatic

George W Bush: Likable

Dick Cheney: Uncharismatic

John Kerry: Uncharismatic

John McCain: Likable. 

Mitt Romney: Neither.  He definitely inspired some people, and no one HATED him. 

Sarah Palin: Unlikable. Some people were so turned off by her that they did not want to vote for McCain, and she's a popular culture joke to this day. 

Barack Obama: Charismatic. He's likable to me as a Democrat, but there's not much thought of that for Republicans. 

Joe Biden: Neither. He was never charismatic, in fact arguably uncharismatic from the start of his career. His likability came a lot from being Obama's VP, and could arguably be included. 

Donald Trump: Charismatic, unlikable. 

Mike Pence: Neither. Pence went largely under the radar prior to his ascendance to VP, and most Republicans saw him as a safe, standard Republican. Sure, he hates gays, but that did not surprise anyone nor energize Democrats any more than normal. 

John Kasich: Neither. Not unlikable by your standards, and I don't think he's boring enough to gain the trait "uncharismatic" by your definition either. 

Ted Cruz: Unlikable, yet charismatic. In 2016, if I recall,  some Senator said that Cruz could be shot on the Senate floor and they would not convict anyone. He is polarizing, yet you respect his passion. 

Marco Rubio: Charismatic. I know several Democrats in 2016 that liked Rubio for his general optimism and tone, despite him being a fairly standard Republican. 

Jeb Bush: uncharismatic. Definitely low energy and does not motivate too many voters, outside of maybe @Actinguy ;) 

Bernie Sanders: Neither

Hillary Clinton: Uncharismatic (her lack of likability seems to mostly be a result of her scandals from her scandalous trait, she seemed o be much better received in 2008)

Tim Kaine: Uncharismatic

Pete Buttigieg: Neither

Elizabeth Warren: Neither

Andrew Yang: LIkable

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Neither

24 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Haha.  As someone who still considered myself to be a moderate independent at the time, I would have voted for Jeb over Clinton (as long as he accepted gay marriage as law of the land now — I can’t recall whether it specifically came up before he dropped out).  

I’m always looking for intelligent candidates above all else, and I do equate intelligence with moderation as I think you have to be able to see both sides and realize the truth is usually somewhere between the two extremes.  

I saw Jeb! as being more intelligent than Hillary in that regard, but I also see literally anyone as more intelligent than Donald Trump.

The fact that the majority of Republicans (both voters and politicians) now support Trump has permanently damaged any chance at them being the intelligent ones in future elections, so I’m a card carrying Democrat now.

Bill Clinton - Charismatic

Al Gore - Uncharismatic

George W Bush - Likeable 

Dick Cheney - Uncharismatic

John Kerry - Uncharismatic

John McCain - Likeable

Mitt Romney - Charismatic (in a somewhat artificial way)

Sarah Palin - Charismatic

Barack Obama - Charismatic

Joe Biden - Likeable

Donald Trump - Unlikeable

Mike Pence - Likeable

John Kasich - Likeable

Ted Cruz - Unlikable

Marco Rubio - Likeable

Jeb Bush - Uncharismatic

Bernie Sanders - Likeable

Hillary Clinton - Unlikeable

Tim Kaine - Likeable

Pete Buttigieg - Likeable

Elizabeth Warren - Likeable

Andrew Yang - Charismatic

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - Charismatic

On 1/13/2020 at 6:56 PM, vcczar said:

a charismatic has a kind of personal magnetic power that even appeals to people that might disagree strongly with the politicians platform. An uncharismatic person is just a boring, "low energy," buzzkill, who generates no excitement,

This is a funny definition, because Trump by this definition is obviously not uncharismatic - virtually no one says he's boring, low energy, and generates no excitement. Yet by this definition he's obviously not charismatic, because he's a polarizer.

The obvious solution to me is that Trump is both charismatic and a polarizer.

19 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

This is a funny definition, because Trump by this definition is obviously not uncharismatic - virtually no one says he's boring, low energy, and generates no excitement. Yet by this definition he's obviously not charismatic, because he's a polarizer.

The obvious solution to me is that Trump is both charismatic and a polarizer.

My definition of unlikable is basically "polarizer." So Trump would be charismatic and unlikable. I should probably change the term to dislikable. The reason dislikable or unlikable would be used over polarizer is that the dislike transcends politics or ideology. Many GOP, Evangelicals, Independents, etc., dislike Trump in a way that they never disliked Bush, McCain, Romney, or any previous GOP president or nominee. I will say the exact same thing for Hillary Clinton. 

So the big difference between Trump and Clinton was that although they had a similar Likable attribute, Trump had a significantly higher Charismatic attribute.

A major reason Trump won in 2016 is because his Charismatic attribute combined with his Energy attribute, and so he was able to overwhelm negative national news coverage by doing large, energized rallies in key swing states.