270soft Forum

The gloves are off

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

I'm fascinated to watch this relationship devolve right before Iowa.

I also saw the Bernie Sanders supporters official tele script making the rounds (what his volunteers should say to persuade others to vote for him).  There's a section on what to do if the person says they support Biden or Warren or Buttigieg.

It seems much more negative in tone than the other scripts -- the Buttigieg one, for example, focuses entirely on the positive and doesn't disparage other Democrats or their supporters.

Image may contain: text

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I'm fascinated to watch this relationship devolve right before Iowa.

I also saw the Bernie Sanders supporters official tele script making the rounds (what his volunteers should say to persuade others to vote for him).  There's a section on what to do if the person says they support Biden or Warren or Buttigieg.

It seems much more negative in tone than the other scripts -- the Buttigieg one, for example, focuses entirely on the positive and doesn't disparage other Democrats or their supporters.

Image may contain: text

This sounds like an unverified, potentially slanderous, statement that Warren said Sanders said at a meeting two years ago. The worst way for a political career to crumble is on an unfounded rumour that may or may not ever be proven - that's a true tragedy, and one of the worst casualties of the "blood sport of politics."

25 minutes ago, Patine said:

This sounds like an unverified, potentially slanderous, statement that Warren said Sanders said at a meeting two years ago. The worst way for a political career to crumble is on an unfounded rumour that may or may not ever be proven - that's a true tragedy, and one of the worst casualties of the "blood sport of politics."

Welcome to politics!  We’re excited to have you here.

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Welcome to politics!  We’re excited to have you here.

Look, I've been studying politics for almost three decades. I think you're moreso conflating my viewpoints and ethics with naivety. I assure you, that's not the case at all. Disillusionment, disappointment, even a bit of cynicism and disgust - especially at the reprehensible conduct of people who are supposed to be trusted and responsible leaders and statesmen and -women, but definitely NOT naivety.

1 hour ago, Sean F. Kennedy said:

Warren is shown her true colors. I expect her to lose support from this 

I think honestly this is a no big deal for either side and both the Warren and especially Sanders camps are overreacting. I don’t think this will change much at all.

I've been following Bernie since 90s and there is no way in hell he said this.Warren is such a disappointment, i liked her and even considered voting for her at one point but after this it is clear she doesn't care about progressive ideas or movement,she is an opportunist that only thinks of herself.Im done with her.(I will still vote for her if she is nominee,but with no excitement).

12 hours ago, Jayavarman said:

Warren To Sanders After Debate: ‘I Think You Called Me a Liar on National TV’

“You called me a liar,” Bernie Sanders responded after Elizabeth Warren refused to shake his hand.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/15/us/politics/sanders-warren-debate-handshake.html

Image result for warren sanders

I hate it when mommy and daddy fight.

I've been giving this a lot of thought, and this is my honest take on what seems to have happened here.

In December 2018, Warren and Sanders met privately to discuss 2020.  That part, everyone agrees on.  And they appear to have agreed not to attack each other, so that their mutual dreams might be achieved no matter which one of them won.

The part they strongly disagree on is whether Bernie opined that a woman could not win.  

For my part, I imagine Bernie did not say those exact words, but may have conveyed that idea nonetheless.  "What the heck happened in 2016?" "Well, you know, one of the many things that happened may have been that misogynistic people objected to the idea of a female President."

Which in Warren's mind, is "Bernie thinks a woman can't win."

And in Bernie's mind, he's just stating facts about things that actually happened, while retaining his own decades-long belief that a hypothetical woman could, in theory, win some day.

And that's just a simple miscommunication/misinterpretation/whatever.  There's no malice or ill will on either side.

But then...

Warren very deliberately leaks this 2018 discussion in the year of our lord, 2020, three weeks before Iowa.

Why would she do this, when she otherwise has been perfectly friendly with Bernie?

I don't think it's to sway the Bernie supporters, or convince them that he's sexist.  They're never going to believe that -- in their mind, he's a saint.  It would be a waste of time to try to convince them otherwise, and would likely only hurt Warren's campaign via backlash.

So why do it, then?

In my mind, Warren is making a very deliberate appeal to Klobuchar's supporters.

Klobuchar is exceptionally unlikely to pass the 15% threshold in a single county in Iowa.  Meanwhile, Warren is toeing that 15% line on average -- which means she too will fail to qualify in about as many counties as she will successfully qualify.  That's bad news for both of them.

But if Warren can become the official second choice of Klobuchar supporters?  

Add Klobuchar's 7% to Warren's 15% during the realignment phase of the Iowa caucus, and all of a sudden, Warren has jumped into first place in Iowa.

So -- that's my take.  Warren is intentionally playing the "we women have to stick together" card in an attempt to become Klobuchar's supporters 2nd choice, and therefore propel her all the way to first place in Iowa.

30 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I hate it when mommy and daddy fight.

I've been giving this a lot of thought, and this is my honest take on what seems to have happened here.

In December 2018, Warren and Sanders met privately to discuss 2020.  That part, everyone agrees on.  And they appear to have agreed not to attack each other, so that their mutual dreams might be achieved no matter which one of them won.

The part they strongly disagree on is whether Bernie opined that a woman could not win.  

For my part, I imagine Bernie did not say those exact words, but may have conveyed that idea nonetheless.  "What the heck happened in 2016?" "Well, you know, one of the many things that happened may have been that misogynistic people objected to the idea of a female President."

Which in Warren's mind, is "Bernie thinks a woman can't win."

And in Bernie's mind, he's just stating facts about things that actually happened, while retaining his own decades-long belief that a hypothetical woman could, in theory, win some day.

And that's just a simple miscommunication/misinterpretation/whatever.  There's no malice or ill will on either side.

But then...

Warren very deliberately leaks this 2018 discussion in the year of our lord, 2020, three weeks before Iowa.

Why would she do this, when she otherwise has been perfectly friendly with Bernie?

I don't think it's to sway the Bernie supporters, or convince them that he's sexist.  They're never going to believe that -- in their mind, he's a saint.  It would be a waste of time to try to convince them otherwise, and would likely only hurt Warren's campaign via backlash.

So why do it, then?

In my mind, Warren is making a very deliberate appeal to Klobuchar's supporters.

Klobuchar is exceptionally unlikely to pass the 15% threshold in a single county in Iowa.  Meanwhile, Warren is toeing that 15% line on average -- which means she too will fail to qualify in about as many counties as she will successfully qualify.  That's bad news for both of them.

But if Warren can become the official second choice of Klobuchar supporters?  

Add Klobuchar's 7% to Warren's 15% during the realignment phase of the Iowa caucus, and all of a sudden, Warren has jumped into first place in Iowa.

So -- that's my take.  Warren is intentionally playing the "we women have to stick together" card in an attempt to become Klobuchar's supporters 2nd choice, and therefore propel her all the way to first place in Iowa.

I've actually convinced myself of this so strongly that I just put $50 bucks on Warren to win Iowa on PredictIt.

If it pays off, I'll make a profit of around $330.  

17 hours ago, Jayavarman said:

Warren To Sanders After Debate: ‘I Think You Called Me a Liar on National TV’

“You called me a liar,” Bernie Sanders responded after Elizabeth Warren refused to shake his hand.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/15/us/politics/sanders-warren-debate-handshake.html

Image result for warren sanders

3 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I've actually convinced myself of this so strongly that I just put $50 bucks on Warren to win Iowa on PredictIt.

If it pays off, I'll make a profit of around $330.  

I laughed hysterically watching Steyer get in the middle of that argument. When you go to ask your Dad for something but he's fighting with mom so you just stand there like Steyer.