270soft Forum

The UK 1970 election for PMI or/and PMF?

3 hours ago, Solidcentrist said:

Does anyone around here know if a scenario for the UK election 1970 have been made for any of the games? If someone knows where to find it, then it would be much appreciated if I could get that information. Thanks in advance!

Not that I've ever seen made, personally.

3 hours ago, Patine said:

Not that I've ever seen made, personally.

Okay, just thought that someone perhaps would have made during the years. It was a quite intressting election in the way that most people and polls believed there would be a Conservative government, but the ended up with a Tory. I do not remember a single UK election where it has been that the predictions where so brutally wrong. That is one of the reasons I where a bit curious about it.

31 minutes ago, Solidcentrist said:

Okay, just thought that someone perhaps would have made during the years. It was a quite intressting election in the way that most people and polls believed there would be a Conservative government, but the ended up with a Tory. I do not remember a single UK election where it has been that the predictions where so brutally wrong. That is one of the reasons I where a bit curious about it.

I think you misworded that. The Tory Party changed their name officially to the Conservative Party of the United Kingdom in 1832 (and, after 1968 and the end of autonomous party status by, and absorption of, the Conservative "satellite" parties, the National Liberal Party and the Scottish Unionist Party, renamed again to the Conservative and Unionist of the United Kingdom, formally speaking - though, the Ulster Unionist Party, despite pressures from the Conservative leadership, remain separate but allies). Since 1832, "Tory" has just been an informal nickname for Conservatives in British political parlance. Thus, I assume, that listing them as two separate, competing parties was a typo. :P

24 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think you misworded that. The Tory Party changed their name officially to the Conservative Party of the United Kingdom in 1832 (and, after 1968 and the end of autonomous party status by, and absorption of, the Conservative "satellite" parties, the National Liberal Party and the Scottish Unionist Party, renamed again to the Conservative and Unionist of the United Kingdom, formally speaking - though, the Ulster Unionist Party, despite pressures from the Conservative leadership, remain separate but allies). Since 1832, "Tory" has just been an informal nickname for Conservatives in British political parlance. Thus, I assume, that listing them as two separate, competing parties was a typo. :P

Yes indeed there where typos on my behalf which i had not seen until now. I meant that the predictions for the 1970 election where that the Labour Party would be reelected, but it ended with a Conservative Majority of about 30 seats.