270soft Forum

Lincoln Chafee is running as a Libertarian.

From Wyoming!

I think if Chafee is the nominee, he could potentially get around 4-5% of the national vote, if we have an unpopular democratic nominee. If anything, I believe that he could potentially run up the vote in Rhode Island, perhaps not win it, but receive double digit support there.

2 hours ago, QuickHead555 said:

I think if Chafee is the nominee, he could potentially get around 4-5% of the national vote, if we have an unpopular democratic nominee. If anything, I believe that he could potentially run up the vote in Rhode Island, perhaps not win it, but receive double digit support there.

I’ll be shocked if he gets 2%.

I don’t doubt that there’s an appetite for libertarianism in this country.  But nobody is looking for Lincoln Chaffee to lead it.

47 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I don’t doubt that there’s an appetite for libertarianism in this country.  But nobody is looking for Lincoln Chaffee to lead it.

I saw a bit of chat in an online game I play that said, "Imagine actually being a Libertarian in 2020, and actually meaning it."

52 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I agree, and I believe the only situation in which he is viable is if the democrats nominate someone who is quite unpopular. I do believe no matter what, that he could still pick up a decent amount of votes in Rhode Island though. However, if it's Biden v. Trump, I don't see Chafee getting over 2%, but if someone like Elizabeth Warren, or one of the billionaires running is the nominee, I do believe he could steal some votes.

He's not that popular in RI, though he'd probably still do better here than anywhere else. However, even if the Libertarians nominate him, I don't see him getting as much support as Gary Johnson did in 2016. The more conservative Never Trump Republicans would likely view him with suspicion - he was a thorn in the GOP's side when he was a Senator, and he finished his gubernatorial term as a Democrat.

And he only fits the libertarian mantle in a very broad sense of being somewhat fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Unless he's changed his mind on some of the policy issues, he'd make more sense as a centrist Democrat than anything else. I wouldn't count on him even winning the Libertarian nomination in the first place.

NH non-binding Libertarian preference poll

New Hampshire[edit]

2020 New Hampshire Libertarian presidential straw poll[86]
Candidate Votes Percentage
Vermin Supreme 26 18.57%
Kim Ruff (withdrew Jan. 11) 22 15.71%
Jo Jorgensen 17 12.14%
None of the above 13 9.29%
Dan Taxation is Theft Behrman 13 9.29%
Jacob Hornberger (write-in) 9 6.43%
Sam Robb 8 5.71%
Arvin Vohra 6 4.29%