270soft Forum

Mandatory Voting

Should refusing to vote in a general or provincial election be against the law?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should refusing to vote in a general or provincial election be against the law?

• Yes
    • No

They do, and they aren't working, mostly because, above all else, the teachers don't care.

Or worst still the Treacher use said Class as platform to indortertate student into there way of thinkin (I one got call indotic for said that Soclism was not fundmental the best system on earth)

Well, here's how it works in Ontario.

1) Go to University, get a master's degree.

2) Go Teacher's College, get a B.Ed.

3) Get hired as a Geography Teacher.

4) Teach nothing but Civics and Career Studies for the next 20 years of your life.

5) Finally have somebody retire and a new hire so you're not the lowest seniority any more.

6) Make the new guy teach nothing but Civics and Career Studies for the next 20 years of his life.

Civics is a useful course, if taken properly and objectively.

Careers teaches you nothing that guidance hasn't thrown at you about fifty times already, but requires a hell of a lot of work to pass, most of it useless work that will never matter anyway. The teachers HATE teaching Careers, and since Civics and Careers go hand-in-hand (they're both half-credit courses here, so in grade 10, you take Civics from September to January and Careers from Febuary to June, or vice/versa), they hate Civics, too.

That sucks :( in the yukon we had CAPP be nothing about poltic wich was in SS non the less we only got a have little of in I would like to see a good class on inculing vist from people who repersit the parties that are coman in the area( In the the 3 major parties plus the Prerenial CHP canadate) we that sudent can ask Question of them

Simple.

Test creation is up to Elections Canada, and would ideally consist of a group of simple general-aptitude questions, and a group of simple political questions.

A simple general-aptitude question would be "What is eight times seven?", or "What is the capital of British Columbia?"

A simple political question might be "Identify the official colour of three of the following political parties." (using only parties that are on the ballot in that riding, and that got at least 5% of ballots cast in that riding in the previous election), or "What is the common title for Canada's current constitutional document?" (multiple-choice)

All non-partisan questions, all questions that can be graded quickly and efficiently by computer, and all simple questions at that. You learned about the constitution in civics class, if you didn't, you at least know what it's called from how the media hyped it up in the 80s, you really ought to know which party goes with which colour, and as for basic mathematics and geography, that's just to make sure you aren't insane.

If the voter is unable to complete the test for a legitimate reason (such as immigrating to the country, which would explain an absense of knowledge into Canadian geography, or the nuances of the political system), the CRO at each poll has the authority to override it if presented with proof of address, which you really should be bringing to the polling station anyway.

Ok, but what would such a simplistic test tell you? What would it accomplish?

Incidentally, being an immigrant shouldn't be an excuse. You have to be a citizen in order to vote and immigrants who become citizens are already tested on knowledge of Canada and our political system.

Ok, but what would such a simplistic test tell you?  What would it accomplish?

Incidentally, being an immigrant shouldn't be an excuse.  You have to be a citizen in order to vote and immigrants who become citizens are already tested on knowledge of Canada and our political system.

It tells me that you have at least the most basic faculties necessary to function, and have at least a vague understanding of how politics works and the parties you are choosing from stand for.

Immigrants won't have sat through civics class, and while I can appreciate that they would need to amass a certain level of knowledge of Canada, I think they could be excused for not being 100% sure about in-depth nuances. It all depends on the questions prepared.

Teachers who use their classroom as a forum for spreading their beliefs are immoral and should be disciplined, but it's not as though students are all sheep who follow what their teachers say.

In College, I took a political science course taught by a conservative, and I would argue constantly with him.

The fact is that politics should, I agree, be taught like religion, i.e. that no one party is correct about everything and that everybody needs to choose the party they most agree with.

But I do feel that politics should be part of a high school cirriculum. Teenagers in grade 10 and 11 should have to write exams testing their knowledge of the Canadian political system.

I actually switched sections of a class this year because of an awful, awful teacher.

Her name is Ms. Blesa, and she's sexist in the worst way. She wasn't so bad on me, because apparantly, in her mind, "those gay boys" aren't as bad as run-of-the-mill boys, but the way she treated the boys in class, and even just where her class discussions invariably led, she really should not be teaching an opinion and debate-based class.

(For those who didn't get it, every debate and discussion we ever had would invariably lead to her ranting about a patriarchical society, or how men continue to dominate women, or something like that. Somehow, everything covered in class is somehow linked to the women's lib movement.

Of course, whenever a boy put up his hand to answer a question, he was ignored unless no girls had their hands up, and even when boys were called on, she somehow always managed to either find fault with their answer, or shoot venom at them when she couldn't find a fault. Meanwhile, the girls could say anything they fancy, it doesn't even have to make sense, and it's "Perfect, just what I had in mind.")

I actually switched sections of a class this year because of an awful, awful teacher.

Her name is Ms. Blesa, and she's sexist in the worst way. She wasn't so bad on me, because apparantly, in her mind, "those gay boys" aren't as bad as run-of-the-mill boys, but the way she treated the boys in class, and even just where her class discussions invariably led, she really should not be teaching an opinion and debate-based class.

(For those who didn't get it, every debate and discussion we ever had would invariably lead to her ranting about a patriarchical society, or how men continue to dominate women, or something like that. Somehow, everything covered in class is somehow linked to the women's lib movement.

Of course, whenever a boy put up his hand to answer a question, he was ignored unless no girls had their hands up, and even when boys were called on, she somehow always managed to either find fault with their answer, or shoot venom at them when she couldn't find a fault. Meanwhile, the girls could say anything they fancy, it doesn't even have to make sense, and it's "Perfect, just what I had in mind.")

I had a teacher like that in college for Sociology. Her focus was always how the women have been held back and disrespected. I had some very interesting debates with her, but rather than hold my gender against me, she respected my views and I did very well in her class.