270soft Forum

Who is the Most Disappointing Candidate of the 21st Century

Most Disappointing Candidate of the 21st Century  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which potential Superstar Candidate Ultimately was the most Disappointing in the 21st Century by most underperforming?

• Beto O'Rourke, 2020 Election
    • Jeb Bush, 2016 Election
    • Scott Walker, 2016 Election
    • Rick Perry, 2012 Election
    • Wesley Clark, 2004 Election

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

What about Dean Howard? I remember he was a big, serious contender in 2004, and then suddenly crashed-and-burnt REALLY quickly after the New Hampshire Democratic Primaries.

Yeah I guess I could include him but I don’t remember him having the name recognition of these people heading into the election. I could be wrong. I honestly had no clue who Howard Dean was in 2004 until he emerged as the frontrunner. 

I think Scott Walker is probably the most disappointing. He was kind of a up and coming superstar in the GOP when he became governor of WI. I should have added Bobby Jindal too as he was being touted as the Republican Obama. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I think Scott Walker is probably the most disappointing. He was kind of a up and coming superstar in the GOP when he became governor of WI. I should have added Bobby Jindal too as he was being touted as the Republican Obama. 

Agreed, particularly as someone that really liked Scott Walker, seeing him fizzle out was incredibly sad. It was equally as sad to see that last Milwaukee vote dump carry him out of office in 2018.

The hype about Walker was the most justified of these on the basis of substance. even though he was probably the least charismatic of them. O'Rourke was hyped because of his looks and youth, Bush because of his name, Perry for being the long-time governor of a big state and Clark for his military experience.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:07 PM, vcczar said:

Scott Walker and Bobby Jindal both had zero charisma, which always made the deadend hype obvious to me.  You can not lead a nation if you can not connect with and inspire the people — or so I thought at the time, at least!

For me, it was Jeb!  Granted, not remarkably charismatic either:  But Jeb had the intelligence to get the job done, same as Hillary.  I know there was a LOT of “Bush vs Clinton? Haven’t we already DONE this???” But Jeb wasn’t Dubya anymore than Hillary was Bill.

I say Jeb! was the most disappointing because his failure signaled the death of the moderate Republicans.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:07 PM, vcczar said:

I agree, I remember before Trump entered the race pundits were saying it was going to be a race between him, Jeb Bush and Rand Paul. How wrong they were