270soft Forum

Buttigieg triples fundraising, sets new record

Pete Buttigieg announced today that he raise $24.8 Million last quarter -- more than tripling his last quarter total of $7 million, and also crushing Bernie Sanders' 2020 record of $17 million last quarter.  

Biden hadn't declared yet at the time, so his fundraising is not yet known -- but he recently bragged he had raised "nearly 20 million" since his campaign began.  So Pete's beating that, too.

None of the other candidates have made their fundraising totals public yet -- but Pete Buttigieg has pledged transparency in his campaign, so he shared the totals as soon as the fundraising quarter ended.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article232136142.html

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete might be Obama of 2020 election cycle with Joe Biden being its Hillary.Im still a Bernie bro,just guessing this could be a likely scenario.

56 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

A lot of people hoping that. But currently Warren, Pete, and Harris combine don’t beat Biden. 

We haven't really seen post-debate polling yet.  I expect Bernie will stay even...his supporters knew what they were getting from the start...but Biden could come tumbling down.  

I've donated to his campaign twice already, and while I've always been politically active, I'd never felt the desire to throw my own cash in the game before.  

Pete's a new kind of politician, who I think will break down party lines and actually bring our country back together while still achieving a liberal agenda.

I think Kamala is amazing as well, and would happily accept her as President, but I don't think she'll be as capable at building coalitions outside of the usual party lines.

That makes some sense. You didn’t get to live the Clinton arrival to the scene.  I see a lot of BC in both of those candidates. 

Part of BCs appeal was that he was able to connect to middle right voters by speaking their language.  Pete has come and explicitly said he want to co-op conservative talking points and lingo.  BC could talk to the middle right southerner. Pete is hoping to talk to the middle right Midwesterner. 

Harris is very skilled at seemingly agreeable to likely voters without being committal to anything and backing herself in a corner. BC was great at that. Harris’s best line is “we need to have a conversation about that” that’s lawyer speak for I’m not going to take a position yet.  I see Harris as the most likely to be bi-partisan of all the candidates.  She does nothing that isn’t politically expedient. Twice she’s taken a strong stance on health care, and both times she quickly walked it back the next day amid pushback. She’s attempting to navigate tough waters in 2020 in a way that was masterful in the 90’s. If she can make it work it’ll be impressive. But Dem voters really..really seem to have litmus tests now.  It’ll be interesting as the field narrows if she takes firm positions and is willing to alienate voters. Of course that’s her bet if she waits long enough as people fall out, lanes will become clear and she can pick the one that beat suits her.  I’d shes running against Biden she’ll be progressive. If she has to take on Bernie or Warren she’ll play the role of liberal.  She’s bright and talented. But it’s an interesting poly sci experiment  she’s partaking in. 

Bernie and Biden have both released their fundraising numbers -- Buttigieg beat them both.  Of course, they both have their PR spin on why it doesn't matter...but a 5% guy crushed both frontrunners in fundraising last quarter.  

Kamala and Warren have not released their numbers yet.  

On 7/1/2019 at 12:03 PM, Actinguy said:

Nine.

I was 13 on election day 1992. It's the first election I remember very well. Although, I remember 1988 too, but I didn't pay much attention to it. For whatever reason, I don't remember 1984 at all. I can't believe the president at my birth is still alive. 

28 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I was 13 on election day 1992. It's the first election I remember very well. Although, I remember 1988 too, but I didn't pay much attention to it. For whatever reason, I don't remember 1984 at all. I can't believe the president at my birth is still alive. 

Yep, 1992 is first election I remember.

I remember my dad telling me he usually voted Republicans for President and Democrats for more local office (although he now hates Trump with the same passion I do).

I also remember him telling me that Bill Clinton even betrayed his own wife — how will he ever be loyal to strangers like us?

For that reason, and because Bush Sr “already had a turn”, nine year old me supported Ross Perot.  Haha 

4 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Yep, 1992 is first election I remember.

I remember my dad telling me he usually voted Republicans for President and Democrats for more local office (although he now hates Trump with the same passion I do).

I also remember him telling me that Bill Clinton even betrayed his own wife — how will he ever be loyal to strangers like us?

For that reason, and because Bush Sr “already had a turn”, nine year old me supported Ross Perot.  Haha 

My dad, who was in his mid-40s when I was born, was an inconsistent voter. I remember he told me that his family were the only Texans in his town opposed to FDR. My dad probably supported Eisenhower. My dad was also a lifelong Nixon fan. He voted for Nixon over JFK. However, he supported fellow Texan LBJ in 1964 and was made "Admiral of the Texas Navy" (a ceremonial title for helping LBJ take Texas in 1964--either as a major fundraiser or something else). In 1968, my dad went back to Nixon, and had a leading roll for the Nixon campaign in the suburbs of Dallas. My dad would have supported Nixon in 1972. In 1976, I think he voted for fellow Southerner Jimmy Carter over Ford. I know he supported Reagan in 1980 and 1984, but he felt so betrayed by Reagan in 1988 (My dad claims that Reagan's Tax Reform Act ruined him financially--my dad went from multi-millionaire to going bankrupt and never making more than $40,000 a year (often far less than that) for the rest of his life. In 1988, he supported Dukakis. In 1992, he supported Perot, a fellow Texan. In 1996, he supported Clinton. In 2000 he supported fellow Texan GW Bush. After 9/11, my dad became really spiritual and apocalyptic, probably because he gave up trying to make all his money back, and so decided to just wait for Heaven or something. He thought we were nearing the end times and that we were in a Holy War against Muslims.  He voted for Republicans then on for the rest of his life. He though Obama was a secret Muslim that somehow won the elections twice in order to undermine the country. He died shortly after Obama won reelection. Trump would have been his ideal president as he was in the same profession as Trump and saw himself as similar to Trump. He probably had Art of the Deal. I don't think he never knew my political views, since I didn't discuss politics around him and just let him talk because that was the best way to keep the discussion short. I do remember arguing with him that Obama wasn't a Muslim and giving him several reasons why he wasn't. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

My dad, who was in his mid-40s when I was born, was an inconsistent voter. I remember he told me that his family were the only Texans in his town opposed to FDR. My dad probably supported Eisenhower. My dad was also a lifelong Nixon fan. He voted for Nixon over JFK. However, he supported fellow Texan LBJ in 1964 and was made "Admiral of the Texas Navy" (a ceremonial title for helping LBJ take Texas in 1964--either as a major fundraiser or something else). In 1968, my dad went back to Nixon, and had a leading roll for the Nixon campaign in the suburbs of Dallas. My dad would have supported Nixon in 1972. In 1976, I think he voted for fellow Southerner Jimmy Carter over Ford. I know he supported Reagan in 1980 and 1984, but he felt so betrayed by Reagan in 1988 (My dad claims that Reagan's Tax Reform Act ruined him financially--my dad went from multi-millionaire to going bankrupt and never making more than $40,000 a year (often far less than that) for the rest of his life. In 1988, he supported Dukakis. In 1992, he supported Perot, a fellow Texan. In 1996, he supported Clinton. In 2000 he supported fellow Texan GW Bush. After 9/11, my dad became really spiritual and apocalyptic, probably because he gave up trying to make all his money back, and so decided to just wait for Heaven or something. He thought we were nearing the end times and that we were in a Holy War against Muslims.  He voted for Republicans then on for the rest of his life. He though Obama was a secret Muslim that somehow won the elections twice in order to undermine the country. He died shortly after Obama won reelection. Trump would have been his ideal president as he was in the same profession as Trump and saw himself as similar to Trump. He probably had Art of the Deal. I don't think he never knew my political views, since I didn't discuss politics around him and just let him talk because that was the best way to keep the discussion short. I do remember arguing with him that Obama wasn't a Muslim and giving him several reasons why he wasn't. 

Muslim piece aside, your dad sounds like an interesting fellow.  I'm sorry for your loss.

It's just occurred to me now that while I remember both the 1992 and 2000 elections in reasonable detail despite being too young to vote in either...I have zero recollection of the 1996 election.  I am aware intellectually that Clinton's opponent was Bob Dole, but I'm sure that's something I memorized from Wikipedia rather than actually experiencing that fact myself.  

I would have been 13 years old, 8th grade.  Definitely way too obsessed with getting the attention of any girl I could find, than be aware that two grown men were arguing on television.

21 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Muslim piece aside, your dad sounds like an interesting fellow.  I'm sorry for your loss.

It's just occurred to me now that while I remember both the 1992 and 2000 elections in reasonable detail despite being too young to vote in either...I have zero recollection of the 1996 election.  I am aware intellectually that Clinton's opponent was Bob Dole, but I'm sure that's something I memorized from Wikipedia rather than actually experiencing that fact myself.  

I would have been 13 years old, 8th grade.  Definitely way too obsessed with getting the attention of any girl I could find, than be aware that two grown men were arguing on television.

I remember 1996. Most people at my school were the children of Republicans. I remember at least one classmate wearing a Bob Dole t-shirt. I remember thinking that Dole was old and boring. I remember not liking Bill Clinton because he cheated on Hillary, but liking Dole even less. I remember the 1992 election better than 1996, but I think that's because Clinton's reelection was fairly certain and Dole was more of a filler candidate and his nomination was kind of like frosting on his retirement cake. 

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I remember 1996. Most people at my school were the children of Republicans. I remember at least one classmate wearing a Bob Dole t-shirt. I remember thinking that Dole was old and boring. I remember not liking Bill Clinton because he cheated on Hillary, but liking Dole even less. I remember the 1992 election better than 1996, but I think that's because Clinton's reelection was fairly certain and Dole was more of a filler candidate and his nomination was kind of like frosting on his retirement cake. 

A little unrelated, but speaking of filler politicians...

Senior year in high school (2000), I was working on updating the lyrics to "We Didn't Start the Fire" and couldn't remember the name of George HW Bush's VP.  So I asked my American History teacher.

He couldn't remember either.

My AMERICAN HISTORY teacher could not remember who the last Vice President had been.

49 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

A little unrelated, but speaking of filler politicians...

Senior year in high school (2000), I was working on updating the lyrics to "We Didn't Start the Fire" and couldn't remember the name of George HW Bush's VP.  So I asked my American History teacher.

He couldn't remember either.

My AMERICAN HISTORY teacher could not remember who the last Vice President had been.

How could anyone forget Quayle?!

5 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I'm sure you're joking, but literally the only thing I know about him other than "he was VP" is that he was not great at spelling potato.

I just now became interested in "what ever happened to the kid from the potato spelling bee?"  Time to hit up Google!

Answer:  Walmart Manager.

7 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I'm sure you're joking, but literally the only thing I know about him other than "he was VP" is that he was not great at spelling potato.

He was consistently a joke. I think he was less knowledgeable and naturally less intelligent than Sarah Palin---he was the FIRST Palin. The only difference was that he was less populist, but he was still kind of a precursor to Palin. He would routinely say stupid thing, and then he'd get really angry that he said something stupid, but then would project it at other people. 

One example was this: 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

He was consistently a joke. I think he was less knowledgeable and naturally less intelligent than Sarah Palin---he was the FIRST Palin. The only difference was that he was less populist, but he was still kind of a precursor to Palin. He would routinely say stupid thing, and then he'd get really angry that he said something stupid, but then would project it at other people. 

One example was this: 

Interesting!  I understood that the potato error was actually the fault of the school, misspelling it on the flash card that they'd given Quayle to act as a judge -- he then trusted the flashcard over what both he and the student knew to be the correct spelling.

But your assessment above makes me think maybe Quayle blamed the school and the school dared not call the VP a liar.

Just now, Actinguy said:

Interesting!  I understood that the potato error was actually the fault of the school, misspelling it on the flash card that they'd given Quayle to act as a judge -- he then trusted the flashcard over what both he and the student knew to be the correct spelling.

But your assessment above makes me think maybe Quayle blamed the school and the school dared not call the VP a liar.

Dan Quayle was pretty much Michael Scott from The Office, if Michael Scott wasn't playful and didn't have a sense of humor.