270soft Forum

Trumps base declining may be overrated

2 hours ago, SirLagsalott said:

The less populated coal country in the South and West of the state will support Trump the same amount or slightly more than before but this will be offset by pushback from the North. 

Unless they notice that Trump hasn't actually done anything to help the coal industry.  Domestic coal consumption hit a 40 year low and 20 coal-fired plants around the country closed, with more to come.

5 minutes ago, pilight said:

Unless they notice that Trump hasn't actually done anything to help the coal industry.  Domestic coal consumption hit a 40 year low and 20 coal-fired plants around the country closed, with more to come.

Defending the coal industry is trying to force sales of obsolete cars and computers. It's counter-productive, because the writing's on the wall. Coal will be the first fossil fuel to go out of usage completely - before petroleum or natural gas. It's a dying industry whose end is in clear sight. It would be FAR better for the Virginia, West Virginia, and Kentucky (and Federal) Governments to invest in economic diversification for these areas - not to try to keep the ailing coal industry on fragile life support as any sort of priority.

10 hours ago, pilight said:

Doesn't mean he'll get less support there. To butcher a dumb Ben Shapiro quote, "feelings don't care about your facts."

On 3/31/2019 at 2:12 PM, vcczar said:

I'm not saying Trump is going to be handily defeated, but I think the chance of defeat for Trump is greater for him than any incumbent since Bush in 1992. Here are my reasoning in no particular order:

1. Whether or not Trump colluded, Russia did work to help get Trump elected, or so many cyber experts believed. They focused on states that were competitive. 

2. Trump secured PA, WI, MI by less than 1%, all of which hadn't voted Red in years, and all of which went Blue in the midterms in reaction to Trump's first two years. 

3. Hillary Clinton was as unfavorable as Trump; the Democratic candidate, whoever it is, is likely to be more favorable, more charismatic, and more energizing than Clinton. They are also more likely to be more favorable than Trump. 

I will add this, I do think--with the exception of VA---that all the other states will vote as they did in the last election. Trump will keep TX, AZ, FL, NC, OH, IA, and that district in ME and NE. Democrats will keep NH, MN, NV, and CO. I think state Democrats in VA scandal'd VA back into a tossup state. 

As such, Democrats have to win all 4 states that I think are the only real battleground states. I am most uncertain about them keeping VA, than I am about winning back WI, MI, and PA. Dems will win the Popular vote, regardless if they fail to secure these four states. 

disagree with new hampshire out of any state he got a chance of flipping i think that his best chance.