270soft Forum

Founding Fathers PI Forum RP 2.0

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Mr. President not here, sir.  He go to Mexico.  Work on memoir.

This is entirely your fault for charging head first into a political war, now we've lost states!

2 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

I'm pretty sure this fails no matter what, right?

You need to hit 5. You have an ability of 2, with no spend IP. Even if you were to roll a 6 and add 2 to your roll, you would not match 5. 

Ah, right you are.  The war does indeed fail.  Whoopserdoozle!

Just now, Actinguy said:

Ah, right you are.  The war does indeed fail.  Whoopserdoozle!

@Herbert Hoover Though to be clear, we had an ability of one (T Pinckney).

No matter what we roll, we can’t beat a score of negative two, taking the worst punishment possible.

Ah well.  It will still make for a lively chapter in my book!

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

@Actinguy

You still need to fill your offices.

Pres. Morris will likely be remembered as the president that stifles American growth. 

Yes sir.  Just waiting for the friendliest friends of Gouverneur Morris to indicate the ways they would most enjoy having their friendlist friendship reciprocated.

Also, lest we forget, President Morris came to power thanks to his bold leadership during the Louisiana Purchase. Can you imagine if he’d left it all to be decided by that old kook Franklin?

So, in the long run, Morris added more states than he lost.

Also, ‘‘twas the opposition’s fault that we have no Kentucky.  ;c)

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Gouverneur Morris sends the first copies of his book to Attorney General Fisher Ames and Postmaster General Dolley Madison.

@vcczar @WVProgressive

Will wait for @WVProgressive to accept these offices.  You also need a Treasury Sec and an Envoy

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

Gouverneur Morris sends the first copies of his book to Attorney General Fisher Ames and Postmaster General Dolley Madison.

@vcczar @WVProgressive

Ames and Madison-Todd accept their new positions, and thank the president for giving them a copy of his book.

On 4/4/2019 at 6:25 PM, Herbert Hoover said:

An excerpt from Daniel Redmond's Gouverneur Morris, the Rogue of New York, 2014

President Morris' ascension to the highest office in the United States was unusual. While Morris had served for eight years under Washington as his Secretary of War, this did little to boost his repute within the Conservative Party. Instead, it was his underhanded wrangling of the Louisiana Purchase that would grant him the nomination for president.

Napoleon's revolutionary republic was in both economic and political turmoil. The dictator had managed to entangle himself in war with a large web of intertwining alliances between the monarchs of Europe, and he and his nation were paying the price. Despite the fact that Washington had publicly declared neutrality in European affairs just four years prior, Napoleon had sent an envoy to beg for assistance from the Republic which inspired their own. Washington, wary of entangling himself with the floundering French republic, delegated his response to his trusted envoy and former Secretary of State Benjamin Franklin. 

Now, Benjamin Franklin's liberal sympathies were of little secret. In fact, just four years earlier, Washington had been quite direct in his letters to the secretary that he must decline the French aid of any sort. However, Franklin made overtures in private that he may be open to providing the French aid in return for military aid in the future against the British, as he had his eyes set on expanding the nation's northern borders. Franklin made the argument that individual states could contribute to the French war effort, as the nation is a loose union of states. 

Morris, a staunch Conservative, took issue with this. Morris himself was known as the penman of the Constitution, and he had been clear and concise in declaring that the nation is compromised of "these united states" when he wrote the preamble to the Constitution. He petitioned to Washington that Franklin must be removed from the cabinet, as what he is advocating would result in a costly war for the United States as well as violate the supremacy of the federal government over her states.

While Washington initially declined the request of Morris, Morris made it clear to the President that denial would result in Morris going behind the President's back and penning the letter to the French himself. Washington eventually relented, and in one of the very rare occasions in our nation's history, appointed Morris to both the position as Envoy to the French Republic and Secretary of War. 

During his time in France, Morris was able to make an agreement that Napoleon would sell it's "useless" North American positions to the United States in return for monetary aid. While this relief ultimately did very little to lengthen the reign of the "little emperor" it did much to further the influence of Gouverneur Morris. The underhanded statesmen who had threatened the most popular figure in American history would go on to receive the Conservative nomination narrowly over Washington's handpicked successor of Secretary of State John Marshall and the young but insurgent Alexander Hamilton. 

As we close out on President Morris’ reign of Friendly Friendship, this was again an entertaining read, @Herbert Hoover!

Just now, Actinguy said:

As we close out on President Morris’ reign of Friendly Friendship, this was again an entertaining read, @Herbert Hoover!

Did I miss an appointment to the treasury or envoy?

43 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

That it is. I wanted to portray him as a Nixon esque figure with less controversy and more results. I figured both terms would be highly successful 😛

50 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

That it is. I wanted to portray him as a Nixon esque figure with less controversy and more results. I figured both terms would be highly successful 😛

I look forward to seeing how historians categorize him after his second term.

President Morris autographs a copy of his book “To my Very Special Envoy, John Adams” — but the book quickly becomes dog-eared as his son John Quincy reads it over and over, desperately looking for any mentions of his contributions as Secretary of Treasury.

@vcczar @jvikings1

I believe that’s all the offices I needed to create.

Finally, John Quincey Adams will propose instituting a Carriage Tax.

(Ok guys, we’ve had our fun, but at the end of the day I’m not trying to actually end the game early in financial crisis.  Let’s get things back on track financially so President Marshall can do great things.)

@jvikings1 how do you vote on this tax matter?

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

President Morris autographs a copy of his book “To my Very Special Envoy, John Adams” — but the book quickly becomes dog-eared as his son John Quincy reads it over and over, desperately looking for any mentions of his contributions as Secretary of Treasury.

@vcczar @jvikings1

I believe that’s all the offices I needed to create.

Finally, John Quincey Adams will propose instituting a Carriage Tax.

(Ok guys, we’ve had our fun, but at the end of the day I’m not trying to actually end the game early in financial crisis.  Let’s get things back on track financially so President Marshall can do great things.)

@jvikings1 how do you vote on this tax matter?

I accept the envoy position and vote aye