270soft Forum

President Beto O’Rourke

I am starting a scenario if anyone is interested. O’Rourke narrowly defeats President Trump. I just need help on who you think would be Vice President and who would be front runners for the GOP nomination.

Patine? Any help. 

Edited by VoiceofReason
Needed more information.
1 hour ago, VoiceofReason said:

I am starting a scenario if anyone is interested. O’Rourke narrowly defeats President Trump. I just need help on who you think would be Vice President and who would be front runners for the GOP nomination.

Patine? Any help. 

I'm not sure. To be honest, the major party running mates on both sides in the whole of the 21st Century, with the exception of John Kerry choosing John Edwards in 2004, have often been inexplicable surprises (at the time at the time of the convention - but often always easily explainable in retrospect) rather than a consolation prize for a primary opponent, you have to admit, and a couple times (like Sarah Palin and Tim Kaine) were very poorly known nationally at the time they were chosen. This trend makes choosing a hypothetical VP a lot harder than on the package.

GOP frontrunners could be Rubio (though failed to appeal to Trump’s base), Crenshaw (appeals to both Trump base and establishment), Rand Paul/Justin/Mike Lee (appeals to, well, the Rand Paul lane, though Lee has more conservative appeal), Kristi Noem (for a young little known Midwest fiscal conservative), Chris Sununu (for a more moderate appeal, also will lead in a major primary state), Martha McSally (if she survives reelection), Tom Cotton, Todd Young (vaguely moderate ish Republican that also has Midwest appeal), Joni Ernst (ditto), John Kennedy (kinda moderate ish Republican with Southern appeal), Josh Hawley, Mike Pence, Mike Braun (for a Senator Trump basically), Ben Sasse (for a somewhat anti Trump Republican), James Lankford (for a major social conservative in the Huckabee/Santorum lane), Tim Scott (Tea Party revival). Lots of good VPs in this list too. 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:30 PM, VoiceofReason said:

Patine? Any help. 

Mike Pence, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Nikki Haley, Ben Shapiro, Marco Rubio, Matt Bevin, and Josh Hawley could all be candidates

On 3/19/2019 at 2:46 PM, Patine said:

I'm not sure. To be honest, the major party running mates on both sides in the whole of the 21st Century, with the exception of John Kerry choosing John Edwards in 2004, have often been inexplicable surprises (at the time at the time of the convention - but often always easily explainable in retrospect) rather than a consolation prize for a primary opponent, you have to admit, and a couple times (like Sarah Palin and Tim Kaine) were very poorly known nationally at the time they were chosen. This trend makes choosing a hypothetical VP a lot harder than on the package.

Biden was running against Obama (and Hillary) in 2008 before he became VP.  That said, I'm not sure it counts as a consolation prize if you barely crack 1%.  Haha.

As for Beto's VP:  I'm personally a huge Pete Buttigieg fan.  But the argument could also be made that you need an older, more experienced statesman as Beto's more or less still a rookie.  You could also make the argument that he potentially needs a woman or a candidate of another race (though I personally don't buy those demographic arguments as much as I believe inexperienced presidents need experienced VP's.

Maybe Sherrod Brown?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 7:46 PM, Patine said:

Lloyd Betsen in 1988 was understandable

But Al Gore in 1992 and Dick Cheney in 2000...as well as Joe Liebermann.....

Joe Biden can be explicated 

Sarah Palin not I agree