270soft Forum

Virginia Scandals

Just now, vcczar said:

Do you think the governor, lt. governor, and attorney general should resign for their respective scandals? 

That's difficult, at least with regards to the Governor, and I'll tell you why. As I've pointed, teenage and very early adult brains (puberty to about age 25 or so) are still formative and such people are prone to do stupid and ill-considered things. I know several posters on this forum don't seem to acknowledge that, but, as they, themselves fall into said age group, they don't have a clear perspective. I know, I did and said some things in high school myself that make me cringe with embarassment and shame at the memories and am VERY glad no one snapped any pictures or took any recordings at the time. As for accusations of sexual assault, I am firmly against demands for resignations or firings, or destruction of reputations, careers, and legacies on accusations alone. That seems to me to be much the same as the Salem Witch Trials, African-Americans in the Old South being summarily arrested as "convenient suspects" and either tried in a hopeless trial or lynched, or McCarthyism. I believe everyone deserves due process (which, conversely, also includes those who have committed horrible crimes but are protected by political or high social class position, privilege, or allies). I don't, however, know enough about the Lieutenant Governor or Attorney General's scandals.

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

That's difficult, at least with regards to the Governor, and I'll tell you why. As I've pointed, teenage and very early adult brains (puberty to about age 25 or so) are still formative and such people are prone to do stupid and ill-considered things. I know several posters on this forum don't seem to acknowledge that, but, as they, themselves fall into said age group, they don't have a clear perspective. I know, I did and said some things in high school myself that make me cringe with embarassment and shame at the memories and am VERY glad no one snapped any pictures or took any recordings at the time. As for accusations of sexual assault, I am firmly against demands for resignations or firings, or destruction of reputations, careers, and legacies on accusations alone. That seems to me to be much the same as the Salem Witch Trials, African-Americans in the Old South being summarily arrested as "convenient suspects" and either tried in a hopeless trial or lynched, or McCarthyism. I believe everyone deserves due process (which, conversely, also includes those who have committed horrible crimes but are protected by political or high social class position, privilege, or allies). I don't, however, know enough about the Lieutenant Governor or Attorney General's scandals.

Good response. I agree. The attorney general has a blackface scandal, similar to the governor. The LT gov. Has two MeToo scandals, including a rape accusation. He’s 38 or 39. I think the scandals were from college. 

Yes, yes, and yes, weird how a state that celebrates Lee–Jackson Day, seems to have a problem with racism.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

That's difficult, at least with regards to the Governor, and I'll tell you why. As I've pointed, teenage and very early adult brains (puberty to about age 25 or so) are still formative and such people are prone to do stupid and ill-considered things. I know several posters on this forum don't seem to acknowledge that, but, as they, themselves fall into said age group, they don't have a clear perspective. I know, I did and said some things in high school myself that make me cringe with embarassment and shame at the memories and am VERY glad no one snapped any pictures or took any recordings at the time.

I'm sure your "youthful follies" didn't include wearing blackface and klan robes...

Just now, WVProgressive said:

Yes, yes, and yes, weird how a state that celebrates Lee–Jackson Day, seems to have a problem with racism.

I'm sure your "youthful follies" didn't include wearing blackface and klan robes...

No, but there were comments that veered toward apologism for horrid, bloody-handed dictators that I greatly can't imagine what I was thinking...

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

I’ve made some really stereotyping jokes that border on racism in my youth. I don’t have any MeToo scandals though. 

14 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

The Virginia Lieutenant Governor will likely have to resign first due to the credible criminal nature of the sexual assaults allegations against him.

Yeah, if the accusations are true, then he should resign. Northam should then appoint someone that has no connection to Northam or Fairfax. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, if the accusations are true, then he should resign. Northam should then appoint someone that has no connection to Northam or Fairfax. 

Aren't Northam and Fairfax family names that have been prominent and kicking around Virginia politics since BEFORE the American Revolution - as in, back into Colonial Virginia?

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Aren't Northam and Fairfax family names that have been prominent and kicking around Virginia politics since BEFORE the American Revolution - as in, back into Colonial Virginia?

Fairfax definitely. One of Cromwell’s generals was a Fairfax. This LT Gov is African-American. If he’s long-standing Virginian his family probably was owned by the Fairfaxes prior to the Civil War and the family took the name. He may also have an ancestor that’s a white Fairfax. The average African American has 28% white DNA, often from slave holders sleeping with a slave, either by force or consensual. 

ITT: Being so thin-skinned that you get offended over some stuff a homie did as a teenager over 35 years ago lmao.

Not a big fan of the governor or his policies - or even the state of Virginia at all - but you guys are having a complete double-standard if you are calling for the resignation of this guy. Robert Byrd joined the US Government in the House less than 5 years after being a Ku Klux Klan officer, and the Senate less than 15 years, but you'll praise him non-stop and say, "orange man bad/flump is racist". Democrats founded the Klan anyways so it's not like either of these people are pulling a surprise.

3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Democrats founded the Klan anyways so it's not like either of these people are pulling a surprise.

Literally nothings changed since Christmas Eve 1865, eh.

4 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Not a big fan of the governor or his policies - or even the state of Virginia at all - but you guys are having a complete double-standard if you are calling for the resignation of this guy. Robert Byrd joined the US Government in the House less than 5 years after being a Ku Klux Klan officer, and the Senate less than 15 years, but you'll praise him non-stop and say, "orange man bad/flump is racist".

I don't praise Robert Byrd, I hate the fact that, that racist old coot represented my state for so long, not that I'm very proud of the "good old boy" that replaced him, sure you might have some liberals that rehabilitate him(*cough* @vcczar*cough*), but those people shouldn't be taken seriously, they'd probably try to claim that McCain was some sort of hero we should look up to, in fact that's exactly what they did when he passed.

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

they'd probably try to claim that McCain was some sort of hero we should look up to, in fact that's exactly what they did when he passed.

wtf i agree with you

58 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

ITT: Being so thin-skinned that you get offended over some stuff a homie did as a teenager over 35 years ago lmao.

Not a big fan of the governor or his policies - or even the state of Virginia at all - but you guys are having a complete double-standard if you are calling for the resignation of this guy. Robert Byrd joined the US Government in the House less than 5 years after being a Ku Klux Klan officer, and the Senate less than 15 years, but you'll praise him non-stop and say, "orange man bad/flump is racist". Democrats founded the Klan anyways so it's not like either of these people are pulling a surprise.

I hope I wasn't one of "you guys" this post was directed at, or I'd say you didn't read my first post in this thread.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I hope I wasn't one of "you guys" this post was directed at, or I'd say you didn't read my first post in this thread.

No you weren't. You were surprisingly being completely rational and unbiased.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I hope I'm not one of "you guys" either, because by now you should know enough about me politically that I would never in my life say anything good about someone like Robert Byrd. 

I think they should all resign over the real scandal here; the propagation of infanticide. The allegations of racism and sexual assault only enhance their notoriety as vile beings set on only power, no matter how many lives they have to demean, ruin, and ultimately take to get there. The trio of them sicken me to my core. Perhaps then the newly minted Gov. Cox can sort it out.

57 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I think they should all resign over the real scandal here; the propagation of infanticide. The allegations of racism and sexual assault only enhance their notoriety as vile beings set on only power, no matter how many lives they have to demean, ruin, and ultimately take to get there. The trio of them sicken me to my core. Perhaps then the newly minted Gov. Cox can sort it out.

Ah, I see you're becoming a one-issue pony. And, an issue that's an EXTREMELY popular one to overemphasize (along with same-sex marriage and a few others) for the "virtue laundering" of those who otherwise advocate and support all manners of vile, evil, wicked, sociopathic, inhuman, and greed-drive agendas and policies and (yes) large amounts of deliberate death, both by motive volition and knowing neglect - the types of policies you have well been known to fervently support and promote here- and then harping on the "virtue laundering" issue to appear suddenly good, pure, and ethical - to "publicly wash the blood and corruption off their hands," if you will.

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

Ah, I see you're becoming a one-issue pony. And, an issue that's an EXTREMELY popular one to overemphasize (along with same-sex marriage and a few others) for the "virtue laundering" of those who otherwise advocate and support all manners of vile, evil, wicked, sociopathic, inhuman, and greed-drive agendas and policies and (yes) large amounts of deliberate death, both by motive volition and knowing neglect - the types of policies you have well been known to fervently support and promote here- and then harping on the "virtue laundering" issue to appear suddenly good, pure, and ethical - to "publicly wash the blood and corruption off their hands," if you will.

For a guy who likes to claim that 99% of what you say goes over @Reagan04 and I's head, you sure seem to miss a lot of points my brother. (And I'm pro-choice)

11 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

For a guy who likes to claim that 99% of what you say goes over @Reagan04 and I's head, you sure seem to miss a lot of points my brother. (And I'm pro-choice)

What point did I miss? His post and it's intention seems quite transparent, and is consistent with his recent neurotic, monomaniacal focus on his source of "virtue laundering" of the last few months.

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

Do you think the governor, lt. governor, and attorney general should resign for their respective scandals? 

governor and lt governor herring i want him to resign for a republican to take over but he will likely stay on (he is running for governor in 2021 so perhaps he had something to do with the other two scandals leaking.

12 hours ago, Patine said:

he was 25 years old claim it ws him then made a 360 he want facisal to prove he not in black face but this basicly mean he the one in the klan outfit.