270soft Forum

Abrams' SotU Response

Stacey Abrams (D-GA) is giving the Democratic response to the State of the Union. Does that signal that Schumer can get her to run for Senate in 2020 in Georgia? What do y'all think? 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/politics/stacey-abrams-democratic-response-state-of-the-union/index.html

19 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Stacey Abrams (D-GA) is giving the Democratic response to the State of the Union. Does that signal that Schumer can get her to run for Senate in 2020 in Georgia? What do y'all think? 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/politics/stacey-abrams-democratic-response-state-of-the-union/index.html

Interesting, I hope she does decide to run for The Senate in 2020. Hopefully she delivers a better response than Kennedy did last year.

1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

I'm unfamiliar with her. I apologize.

I would've preferred a winner give the response.

5 minutes ago, ZedWilliamsR said:

I would've preferred a winner give the response.

I think it was smart. It helps burnish her reputation to run again sometime in the future, and let’s them not pick a presidential aspirant whose currently or probably will be in the race. It lets them retain impartiality 

15 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think it is smart. Democrats can gauge how popular the address is and she can determine to run for Senate or President based on that. 

To be honest, SoTU responses tend to not be well received. Rubio famously drinking water, Bachman not blinking, Beshear responding in the middle of a dinner. I think people place too much weight into how powerful her response will be. That said, she should run in 2020 for the Senate. 

3 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

To be honest, SoTU responses tend to not be well received. Rubio famously drinking water, Bachman not blinking, Beshear responding in the middle of a dinner. I think people place too much weight into how powerful her response will be. That said, she should run in 2020 for the Senate. 

They aren't well-received because of major cosmetic errors. You forgot JPK3's "drool-gate." I also see Abrams as infinitely more charismatic than those others. Rubio and Kennedy are "groomed" politicians. They seem almost as programmed as Hillary Clinton. Beshear was antiquated. Bachmann was consider loony even by some conservatives. Abrams is none of these things. She's the kind of politician that should be doing these. 

5 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Bachman not blinking,

That is creepy. That reminds me of Meg Foster's role as Evil-Lyn, the villainous sorceress and chief lieutenant of the main villain Skeletor (played by Frank Langella - the same guy who played another big villain, Richard Nixon, in "Nixon/Frost") in the 1989 live-action movie "Masters of the Universe," based on Mattel's toy and Saturday-morning cartoon series of the '80's. Foster had a camera trick done so she never appeared to blink on camera, to make herself look "creepier, and more sinister, menacing, and evil." I can't help if Bachman not blinking reminded me of this.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

They aren't well-received because of major cosmetic errors. You forgot JPK3's "drool-gate." I also see Abrams as infinitely more charismatic than those others. Rubio and Kennedy are "groomed" politicians. They seem almost as programmed as Hillary Clinton. Beshear was antiquated. Bachmann was consider loony even by some conservatives. Abrams is none of these things. She's the kind of politician that should be doing these. 

Well, she didn't deliver the official GOP response, that was Rep. Paul Ryan. She delivered the official Tea Party/"GOP Base" response.

1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

Well, she didn't deliver the official GOP response, that was Rep. Paul Ryan. She delivered the official Tea Party/"GOP Base" response.

Can we just have one response!? Im all for diversity of ideas but how many rebuttles to an hour long speech can their be?

@vcczar

Yeah I feel that she is the best choice for the response, despite my hesitations she will knock it out of the park. She is from a state that is trending purple, years of legislative experience, an unabashed progressive...also a black woman. She isn't groomed like JPK3 and Julian Castro, but she easily checks every Democratic box there is.

I don't know Abrams, but I at least like the optics of the pick.

I watched Beshear's speech, and as a Democrat, I was embarrassed.  THIS was the best we had to offer?  A boring old white guy rambling on about a (admittedly not-so-boring) old white guy who had just finished rambling?

I felt the same about the recent Pelosi/Schumer address.  I get it, they couldn't give the opportunity to any one particular person who might run for President in 2020.  I get it.  But it was also terrible.

I hope choosing Abrams is the beginning of an intentional move to showcase the diversity that we have to offer -- women, people of color, LGBT, etc.  I think that's a real contrast to all those group photos of Republican interns that keep accidentally showing the world how exclusively white and male they are.

8 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I don't know Abrams, but I at least like the optics of the pick.

I watched Beshear's speech, and as a Democrat, I was embarrassed.  THIS was the best we had to offer?  A boring old white guy rambling on about a (admittedly not-so-boring) old white guy who had just finished rambling?

I felt the same about the recent Pelosi/Schumer address.  I get it, they couldn't give the opportunity to any one particular person who might run for President in 2020.  I get it.  But it was also terrible.

I hope choosing Abrams is the beginning of an intentional move to showcase the diversity that we have to offer -- women, people of color, LGBT, etc.  I think that's a real contrast to all those group photos of Republican interns that keep accidentally showing the world how exclusively white and male they are.

Didn't you know those interns are all White, male, and straight to prevent the overwhelming White and male Republican office-holders from "being tempted to" or "accidentally" sexually harassing or making racially- or sexual orientation-based-insensitive comments in the private atmosphere interns are often in with officeholders. Denying anyone non-White, male, and straight intern opportunities is the only way to avoid such mishaps, because personal self-control and tact is not a burden these officeholders should have to have themselves. Billy Graham himself basically gave this advice, and he must be right, eh? :P

2 hours ago, pilight said:

She ought to be considered as strong a presidential candidate as Beto O'Rourke

I think the reason she isn't is because Beto was close in a "red" state rather than a lean "red" state like Abrams. I do think part of the reason she isn't considered as strongly is because she is a black female and that box is already checked off by Harris. (Not saying that's the reason, just saying that's what I personally believe.

I miss the days when the response, actually responded to what was just said.  I'm annoyed at these prepared speeches, against fake backdrops, that just serve as a commercial.  (Of course it's been this way for several years)  That was just an Abrams commercial for her senatorial campaign in Georgia in 2020.  

What is the left's obsession with trying to draft failed candidates for President? (Biden, O'Rourke, Abrams, etc.). As one of the biggest fans of Baker Mayfield I understand loving to support a dude with a chip on their shoulder but this is ridiculous lmao

6 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

What is the left's obsession with trying to draft failed candidates for President? (Biden, O'Rourke, Abrams, etc.). As one of the biggest fans of Baker Mayfield I understand loving to support a dude with a chip on their shoulder but this is ridiculous lmao

None of those people are leftists, unless you want to include socdems, in which case your could maybe include Abrams. Also Mitt Romney, Dick Nixon, Ronald Reagan, John McCain, Abe Lincoln, all of them were failed candidates that went on to be nominated in a diffrent election cycle, some of them even went on to be president.

14 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Why do I keep hearing reference on the Internet, constantly, to some imaginary, conspiracy-theory, urban legend, fairy-tale, unified, hive-mind, lockstep, solid political bloc commonly called "the Left," that I have seen absolutely no evidence of it's existence ANYWHERE as anywhere remotely close to the singular political unit and opinion bloc it's made out to me? Where is this cryptid political force. I'm absolutely certain it's a myth - and one dangerously used as scapegoat, much like any a Fascist regimes uses, blatantly falsely, to blame all of a society's evils and flaws on and justify it's own evil, corrupt, tyrannical, unjust, and genocidal actions.

14 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

That’s definitely not exclusive to Democrats. Do you forget your man crush was a failed candidate too?

3 hours ago, jnewt said:

That’s definitely not exclusive to Democrats. Do you forget your man crush was a failed candidate too?

The difference being Abrams and O'Rouke were two nobodies who have nothing going for them after their lost races, but for some reason the left loves them.