270soft Forum

United States 2028

The year is 2028. President Donald Trump was defeated by Fmr. VP Joe Biden in his quest for a second term. Now, in 2028 both parties have an open primary with no clear frontrunner. 

I did 2028 vs 2024 because this would make way for more "new" candidates to be involved. If you have any that you think would be taking over higher office that would want to run, please let me know. I'm going to be working on it for a while so I'll see if I get it posted or not. If you have any candidates besides these that I think will be in a good position to run in 2028 (arguably taking higher office) let me know.

Democrats

• Fmr. Vice President Kamala Harris (added to Biden's ticket)
  • NY Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand
  • TX Gov. Beto O'Rourke (wins open governor election in 2022)
  • IA Sen. Cindy Axne (wins open IA seat in 2022)
  • GA Gov. Stacey Abrams
  • CA Sen. Gavin Newsom (wins seat held by Dianne Feinstein)
  • PA Sen. Bob Casey Jr.
  • HI Gov. Tulsi Gabbard (wins open election in 2022)
  • NJ Sen. Cory Booker
  • MA Sen. Joseph Kennedy (Wins open seat in 2026)

Republicans

• VP Mike Pence
  • TX Sen. Ted Cruz
  • KY Sen. Rand Paul
  • NE Sen. Ben Sasse
  • AR Sen. Tom Cotton
  • IA Sen. Joni Ernst
  • AZ Sen. Martha McSally

Here are a few potential Republicans from NC.

Speaker of the House Mark Walker. He is rising quickly and  was already considered a possible candidate for speaker of the house in 2018( if the Rs kept the house)

Senator Pat McCrory(R) NC - has stated he was interested. could win an open seat in 2022.

Governor Dan Forrest(R) NC - If he beats Cooper in 2020 and wins re-election he would be term-limited.

image.png.e9b8c18712bc12c3aae9c04549d70b82.png

@vcczar Do you know why this could happen? I put in the data in all the states to be different but it still comes out like this. 

image.png.e5111479bd9ca213ee10dd9efcb971cc.pngLikewise. There shouldn't be this close to people...did I do something wrong that I can correct?

I'd add Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez. Although, I like most of her political views, she has some personality traits I don't like (reminds me of Trump). I really think she will run for president every year she's able. She's that kind of attention seeker. I also think she's charismatic enough to her base (I'm technically her base, but charisma doesn't work on me) that she'd do reasonable well, similar to how Trump has a lot of support from his base. 

Just now, vcczar said:

I'd add Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez. Although, I like most of her political views, she has some personality traits I don't like (reminds me of Trump). I really think she will run for president every year she's able. She's that kind of attention seeker. I also think she's charismatic enough to her base (I'm technically her base, but charisma doesn't work on me) that she'd do reasonable well, similar to how Trump has a lot of support from his base. 

Alright, I was wondering why the maps and percentages were so off from what I put there. I know Cruz and Paul have the little 5% by their names but I don’t know how to get rid of it. The Democrats shouldn’t be that close in percentage either. I was wondering with all your experience if you’d seen stuff like this before. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Although, I like most of her political views, she has some personality traits I don't like (reminds me of Trump)

If you don't mind me asking, what similarities between AOC and Trump do you see that would make you dislike her?

11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

She's that kind of attention seeker.

It could also be that she earnestly believes in what she says. She hasn't done anything that's really just attention seeking rather than trying to advocate her policy proposals to my knowledge. 

22 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

The year is 2028. President Donald Trump was defeated by Fmr. VP Joe Biden in his quest for a second term. Now, in 2028 both parties have an open primary with no clear frontrunner. 

I did 2028 vs 2024 because this would make way for more "new" candidates to be involved. If you have any that you think would be taking over higher office that would want to run, please let me know. I'm going to be working on it for a while so I'll see if I get it posted or not. If you have any candidates besides these that I think will be in a good position to run in 2028 (arguably taking higher office) let me know.

Democrats

• GA Gov. Stacey Abrams
  • PA Sen. Bob Casey Jr.
  • NJ Sen. Cory Booker

Republicans

• VP Mike Pence
  • TX Sen. Ted Cruz
  • KY Sen. Rand Paul
  • NE Sen. Ben Sasse
  • AR Sen. Tom Cotton
  • IA Sen. Joni Ernst
  • AZ Sen. Martha McSally

I'm somewhat surprised that the tendencies of the U.S. tearing itself apart in a sharp, socio-political way that can be seen even today, or the growing conflict the ultra-have's (the corporate elite) and the have-not's (the greater and greater number of people whose employment situation and feeling of economic security and even personal security and safety in the neighbourhoods they live in) are not profoundly represented, in a really meaningful way, on this list. To illustrate my point - these candidates will likely ALL be considered "establishment" by 2028 compared to those advocating more radical solutions on both the Right and Left, who will likely be quite visible, given the trends of things, by 2028.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm somewhat surprised that the tendencies of the U.S. tearing itself apart in a sharp, socio-political way that can be seen even today, or the growing conflict the ultra-have's (the corporate elite) and the have-not's (the greater and greater number of people whose employment situation and feeling of economic security and even personal security and safety in the neighbourhoods they live in) are not profoundly represented, in a really meaningful way, on this list. To illustrate my point - these candidates will likely ALL be considered "establishment" by 2028 compared to those advocating more radical solutions on both the Right and Left, who will likely be quite visible, given the trends of things, by 2028.

It's hard to predict who will be new on the scene by that point. Any idea what happened in the maps above?

11 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

If you don't mind me asking, what similarities between AOC and Trump do you see that would make you dislike her?

It could also be that she earnestly believes in what she says. She hasn't done anything that's really just attention seeking rather than trying to advocate her policy proposals to my knowledge. 

She gets reactionary to any form of criticism, even when constructive. That's a terrible trait. She's also arrogant in a way that rubs me the wrong way. I'd imagine she would have a difficult time admitting that she's wrong, similar to Trump. I don't dislike her her at all. I just said there are things about her that I dislike. I would vote for her if I lived in her district. I hope the has a long and productive career. I kind of hope she gains some political maturity without losing her passion. I would be hesitant to vote for her as president of the US based off the personality flaws I see in her, but I vote for platform and not for the person. This would go for any other politician as well. I kind of see her as the left-wing version of Trump; however, at least she's politically experienced and has a platform that favors most Americans and isn't based on the selfishness of the few. 

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

She gets reactionary to any form of criticism, even when constructive.

I've never seen anything like this from her, care to back it up. I may not agree on what is or isn't legitimate criticism, especially if it comes from a clearly biased news source, like the Washington Post, which has a clear interest in making sure anything critical of billionaires or capitalism doesn't grow.

13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

She's also arrogant in a way that rubs me the wrong way.

Well I disagree, but I think you've made up your mind on that. 

24 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

I've never seen anything like this from her, care to back it up. I may not agree on what is or isn't legitimate criticism, especially if it comes from a clearly biased news source, like the Washington Post, which has a clear interest in making sure anything critical of billionaires or capitalism doesn't grow.

Well I disagree, but I think you've made up your mind on that. 

I'm guessing you don't watch or read the news online, because there are numerous examples online. A week ago or so she was criticized for an attack on a Democrat that was just suggesting that, because she's a freshman congressperson, that she take some time to learn the ropes. It was a reasonable suggestion and not stated with a tone of disrespect. Yet, she responded with a Trumpian like reactionary comment. Many have compared her use of Twitter to defend herself, from allies or opponents, as Trumpian. Here's an article that's fairly objective about Ocasio-Cortez: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/11/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-democrats-establisment-1093728

Another article comparing Trump to Ocasio-Cortez and vice-versa. Lots of articles out there: https://nypost.com/2019/01/26/trump-and-ocasio-cortez-use-the-same-tricks-to-win-at-politics/

Here's something I wrote about it. You can clearly see I'm much more positive about her than not, despite what I'm saying here: https://historymonocle.com/2018/12/22/an-ocasio-cortez-trump-parallel/

6 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Does anyone have an idea why my maps look like that? lol

I could probably figure it out if you show me under the hood.

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I could probably figure it out if you show me under the hood.

What do you need to look at? I'll send you stuff in chat if necessary

5 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

What do you need to look at? I'll send you stuff in chat if necessary

You manually input poll numbers right? And the problem is that every state is tied?

7 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

You manually input poll numbers right? And the problem is that every state is tied?

Yup. As well as Paul and Cruz are way ahead in Republican numbers

3 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Yup. As well as Paul and Cruz are way ahead in Republican numbers

First I'd check your polling numbers.

23 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

Democrats

• GA Gov. Stacey Abrams
  • PA Sen. Bob Casey Jr.
  • NJ Sen. Cory Booker

Republicans

• VP Mike Pence
  • TX Sen. Ted Cruz
  • KY Sen. Rand Paul
  • NE Sen. Ben Sasse
  • AR Sen. Tom Cotton
  • IA Sen. Joni Ernst
  • AZ Sen. Martha McSally

What are the Election Issues in this scenario?

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm guessing you don't watch or read the news online, because there are numerous examples online. A week ago or so she was criticized for an attack on a Democrat that was just suggesting that, because she's a freshman congressperson, that she take some time to learn the ropes. It was a reasonable suggestion and not stated with a tone of disrespect. Yet, she responded with a Trumpian like reactionary comment. Many have compared her use of Twitter to defend herself, from allies or opponents, as Trumpian. Here's an article that's fairly objective about Ocasio-Cortez: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/11/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-democrats-establisment-1093728

Ah yes, she should "learn the ropes" of being a democrat in congress, caving to republicans respectful bipartenship, useless flowery language decorum, being a lapdog for capital. Look how all that turned out Democrats have consistently been able to win more than just one chamber of congress since they took up third way centrism, right. Also I do read/watch the news, I just know enough to not trust everything my corporate overlords tell me at face value :).

30 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Another article comparing Trump to Ocasio-Cortez and vice-versa. Lots of articles out there: https://nypost.com/2019/01/26/trump-and-ocasio-cortez-use-the-same-tricks-to-win-at-politics/

Here's something I wrote about it. You can clearly see I'm much more positive about her than not, despite what I'm saying here: https://historymonocle.com/2018/12/22/an-ocasio-cortez-trump-parallel/

The consistent theme seems to be that, they use twitter, that they are disliked by the establishment(even though Trump isn't hated nearly as much as AOC, mainly because his interests are also the interest of capital, and the establishment), and that they're "divisive" (ignore that all politics are divisive) very weak arguments all around, and completely ignores their platform.

22 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Going to work on that once I get the numbers figured out

There should also be potential candidates attempting to play "heir apparent" to Trump's cult of personality and Sanders' movement, and try to tap into those demographic veins that were their support bases. Also, an Independent or spoiler billionaire seems to be in the cards very soon, or around that time, and several have threatened such runs. And the list you have could leave certain support bases leaning more to the Libertarian and Green Parties, because none of the above are overly big on ecological matters, and environmental degradation will no doubt be even worse in 8 years, and Rand Raul isn't as Libertarian as many pure Libertarians would like, and government authoritarianism is growing under both major parties. Also, with the current state of affairs, there is the real possibility of African-American solidarity party that regards the Democrats as "too little, too late" in their policies of much greater scope and organization than the old Black Panthers ever were.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, Hestia11 said:

Democrats

• GA Gov. Stacey Abrams
  • PA Sen. Bob Casey Jr.
  • NJ Sen. Cory Booker

Republicans

• VP Mike Pence
  • TX Sen. Ted Cruz
  • KY Sen. Rand Paul
  • NE Sen. Ben Sasse
  • AR Sen. Tom Cotton
  • IA Sen. Joni Ernst
  • AZ Sen. Martha McSally

It's unlikely that Rand Paul or Ted Cruz would still be Senators in 2028 as both believe in term limits of 2 (although Cruz running for a 3rd is more likely than Rand doing it).

31 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

It's unlikely that Rand Paul or Ted Cruz would still be Senators in 2028 as both believe in term limits of 2 (although Cruz running for a 3rd is more likely than Rand doing it).

Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich hadn't held an elected office when they entered the Republican Primaries in 2012 for years prior.

On 1/26/2019 at 2:53 PM, Hestia11 said:

Democrats

• GA Gov. Stacey Abrams
  • PA Sen. Bob Casey Jr.
  • NJ Sen. Cory Booker

Republicans

• VP Mike Pence
  • TX Sen. Ted Cruz
  • KY Sen. Rand Paul
  • NE Sen. Ben Sasse
  • AR Sen. Tom Cotton
  • IA Sen. Joni Ernst
  • AZ Sen. Martha McSally

you should add a senator desanties.