Jump to content
270soft Forum

Who is likely to be a VP nominee for Democrats in 2020


Who Do You Think Could be a VP Nominee for Democrats?  

24 members have voted

  1. 1. If a VP with a lot of political and policy experience is needed, who do you think has high probability of being selected?

    • Joe Biden (For a 3rd non-consecutive term!)
    • Tim Kaine (2nd time the charm?)
    • Sherrod Brown (A Republican would fill his vacant senate seat)
    • Elizabeth Warren (A Republican would fill her vacant senate seat)
    • Bernie Sanders (A Republican would fill his vacant senate seat)
    • John Delaney (a moderate, but no name recognition or charisma)
      0
    • Terry McAuliffe (too close to the Clintons?)
    • Martin O'Malley (crushed in 2016 and lacks charisma)
    • John Bel Edwards
    • Steve Bullock
    • Kirsten Gillibrand
    • Hillary Clinton (!)
    • Andrew Cuomo
    • John Hickenlooper
    • Amy Klobuchar
    • John Kerry
    • Jeff Merkley
    • Michael Bloomberg
    • Jay Inslee
    • Mitch Landrieu
  2. 2. If a youthful VP is needed to add some excitement to the ticket, who do you think has a high probability of being selected?

    • Kyrsten Sinema (a Republican would fill her vacant senate seat)
    • Cory Booker (would he give up a senate seat to be VP?)
    • Beto O'Rourke
    • Eric Swalwell
    • Julian Castro
    • Tulsi Gabbard
    • Martin Heinrich
    • Gavin Newsom (just became governor of CA though)
    • Pete Buttigieg (can an openly gay man--even if a military vet--help a ticket in 2020?)
    • Seth Moulton
    • Joseph P. Kennedy III
    • Jason Kander (charismatic as Obama but admits to having PTSD from military service)
    • Tim Ryan
    • Joaquin Castro
    • Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez (even though she can't become president until she's 35)
      0
    • Hakeem Jefferies
    • Jared Polis
    • Sharice Davids (also LGBT Native American)
    • Ilhan Omar (also a Muslim)
    • Rashida Tlaib (also a Muslim
  3. 3. If a minority is needed on a ticket because a white male is the presidential nominee, then who do you think has a high probability of being selected?

    • Kamala Harris (would she give up a senate seat to be VP?)
    • Cory Booker (would he give up a senate seat to be VP?)
    • Julian Castro
    • Tulsi Gabbard
    • Eric Garcetti
    • Tom Steyer (not racial minority, but a non-politician)
    • Kirsten Gillibrand
    • Hillary Clinton (!)
      0
    • Pete Buttigieg (openly gay military vet)
    • Amy Klobuchar
    • Deval Patrick
    • Luis Gutierrez
    • Eric Holder
    • Oprah Winfrey
    • Michelle Obama
    • Joaquin Castro
    • Nancy Pelosi
    • Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (even though she can't become president until she's 35)
      0
    • Hakeem Jefferies
    • Jared Polis (first openly gay governor but was just elected)


Recommended Posts

In 2020, versus Trump/Pence, I think at least one person on the ticket "has" to be a woman.

I'm a huge Biden fan, but his age means you can't just choose a woman for "choosing a woman"'s sake.  It has to be one that is actually ready to step up and become President immediately, should Biden no longer be capable.

In my mind, that's either Elizabeth Warren or Amy Klobuchar.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

In 2020, versus Trump/Pence, I think at least one person on the ticket "has" to be a woman.

I'm a huge Biden fan, but his age means you can't just choose a woman for "choosing a woman"'s sake.  It has to be one that is actually ready to step up and become President immediately, should Biden no longer be capable.

In my mind, that's either Elizabeth Warren or Amy Klobuchar.  

Because that worked so well for John McCain...

I think more substance and thought should be put into a ticket than such a superficial level as that. I'm not saying a woman shouldn't be on the ticket at all (or even two women), but the factors need to be much more comprehensive and not overly simplified.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Patine said:

Because that worked so well for John McCain...

I think more substance and thought should be put into a ticket than such a superficial level as that. I'm not saying a woman shouldn't be on the ticket at all (or even two women), but the factors need to be much more comprehensive and not overly simplified.

I very clearly said that it can't be a woman for "choosing a woman"s sake, and that they needed to be ready to step up and become President immediately.  Palin very, very badly missed this mark by a longshot.

I was a Republican from 2000 - 2007, and was strongly leaning to McCain in 2008.  Then he chose Palin and I jumped ship to Obama.

I was an independent from 2008 - 2016, until the Republicans backed Trump.  Now I'm a Democrat.

I will never back Trump, or anyone who DID back Trump, so I expect I'll be Democrat for the forseeable future.  

But back to my original point, while I do think you need a woman on the Democrat ticket, it can't just be "any" woman.  It has to be one who has what it takes to be President.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I very clearly said that it can't be a woman for "choosing a woman"s sake, and that they needed to be ready to step up and become President immediately.  Palin very, very badly missed this mark by a longshot.

I was a Republican from 2000 - 2007, and was strongly leaning to McCain in 2008.  Then he chose Palin and I jumped ship to Obama.

I was an independent from 2008 - 2016, until the Republicans backed Trump.  Now I'm a Democrat.

I will never back Trump, or anyone who DID back Trump, so I expect I'll be Democrat for the forseeable future.  

But back to my original point, while I do think you need a woman on the Democrat ticket, it can't just be "any" woman.  It has to be one who has what it takes to be President.

I have a friend who was a Reagan Republican and a registered Republican until 2016, even though he voted Dem since 2004. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ocasio-Cortez's age absolutely limits her out of consideration, and I doubt any other freshman congresspeople would be considered.

I've thought for a while that if a woman is the nominee, Beto will be VP and if a man is the nominee, then Klobuchar.

Of course, geography could change that (as well as events over the campaign) but that's been my gut feeling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Quote

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez (even though she can't become president until she's 35)

She also can't be VP.  The 12th amendment states clearly "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States".

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pilight said:

She also can't be VP.  The 12th amendment states clearly "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States".

John Breckinridge was inaugurated as James Buchanan's VP shortly before he turned 35, as I recall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...