270soft Forum

2020 Board Game Idea

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I would happily be of assistance.

K. I’ll let you know when Super Tuesday is ready. May not have time until tomorrow or the next day. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

K. I’ll let you know when Super Tuesday is ready. May not have time until tomorrow or the next day. 

Alright, so, the plan would be that you calculate the debate and I do the primary contests?

21 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Alright, so, the plan would be that you calculate the debate and I do the primary contests?

Yeah. Unless you don’t mind also doing the debates. My main job will be to fill out the Google Doc and let you know what comes next. When we’re done with the entire election we can figure out what the game needs. The general election, which I have a rough idea for, will be very different from the general so the game doesn’t become too repetitive. 

32 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah. Unless you don’t mind also doing the debates. My main job will be to fill out the Google Doc and let you know what comes next. When we’re done with the entire election we can figure out what the game needs. The general election, which I have a rough idea for, will be very different from the general so the game doesn’t become too repetitive. 

I can do the debates as well if that will aid you with your creative process and work load. Just shoot me an email with a couple quick instructions, I assume rolling a 6-sided die is necessary. Just give me a heads up as I do believe that we have everyone's response for the debate and can move to the campaign stage.

Super Tuesday Debate Results!

Democratic Debate

Biden 3 (Attack on O’Rourke successful, gains a point for this as well as winning the debate) ***Debate Winner***

Sanders -2/3=1 (Successfully attacks O'Rourke, gains a point)

Gillibrand 0 (Attack on O'Rourke deflected)

O'Rourke 2/0/-3/-3=-4 (Attack on Sanders mildly successful; deflects attack by Gillibrand; successfully attacked by Biden; Successfully attacked by Sanders; loses 3 points for Biden and Sanders attack and losing debate) ***Debate Flop***

Republican Debate

Cruz 3 (Attack on Trump successful, gains a point and Trump loses a point; gains point for winning Debate) ***Debate Winner***

Paul 0 (Attack on Kasich deflected)

Kasich 2/-3/0=-1 (Attack on Trump backfires, loses a point and Trump gains a point)

Trump -2/3/-3=-2 (Attack on Kasich mildly backfires; loses point for losing Debate) ***Debate Flop***

In other News

• Gabbard drops out and endorses Biden, giving him a point

Points/deficit for Super Tuesday

• Cruz 3 points to use on 4 states and he may use 1 extra point on his home state of Texas
  • Biden 3 points to use on 4 states but loses 1 point from a chosen (single) demographic in every state
  • Kasich 1 point in 4 states
  • Sanders 1 point in 4 states and he may use 1 extra point on his home state of Vermont
  • O'Rourke 0 points but he may use 1 extra point on his home state of Texas
  • Gillibrand 0 points
  • Trump -1 point from a chosen (single) demographic in every state
  • Paul -1 point on every demographic in every state

Up Next: Super Tuesday (AL, AR, AS, CA, CO, GA, MA, MN, OK, TN, TX, VA, VT)

Charts for these states still being finalized

@Hestia11 @Rodja @ThePotatoWalrus @vcczar

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Kasich spends a point on Moderates in California and Minnesota. He spends a point on Old Guard in Texas and Virginia. 

Actually, you can only spend a point on one demographic but you get to do it in 4 states if I have interpreted that correctly @vcczar.

28 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Actually, you can only spend a point on one demographic but you get to do it in 4 states if I have interpreted that correctly @vcczar.

Alright I’ll do the same 4 with moderates 

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Reagan04 I forgot to tell you that candidates get a 1 point bonus to use on their “home state”

Ah yes, good stuff to know, I shall update the post and ping the candidates.

43 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Ah yes, good stuff to know, I shall update the post and ping the candidates.

I'm going to use my point on Loyalists/Liberals in Texas. 

Biden takes a universal hit 1 point hit on Hispanic-Asians

Biden campaigns for the Black Vote in Alabama, Georgia, Virginia, and Texas

Biden campaigns for Millennial votes in California, Texas, Tennessee, and Massachusetts

Biden campaigns for Progressives in California, Colorado, Massachusetts, and Minnesota

Cruz uses his extra point in Texas on Neocons

Cruz campaigns for MAGA voters in Tennessee, California, Georgia, and Virginia

Cruz campaigns for Libertarians in Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas, and California

Cruz campaigns for the Neocon vote in Texas, Virginia, Alabama, and Minnesota

Bernie campaigns for Black votes in California,Georgia,Minnesota and Texas.

Bernie spends extra point on Left in Vermont.

Rand is losing point so he does nothing.Announces he might drop out after Super Tuesday

52 minutes ago, Rodja said:

Bernie campaigns for Black votes in California,Georgia,Minnesota and Texas.

Bernie spends extra point on Left in Vermont.

Rand is losing point so he does nothing.Announces he might drop out after Super Tuesday

You already have a 5 among Progressives, choose another group.

2 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

We're just waiting on @ThePotatoWalrus to give us Trump's move (from which demographic you want to subtract) and then I can begin my Super Tuesday calculations.

I give people 24 hours from when I post asking for actions. If anyone doesn't respond in that time, then I make the most reasonable move on their behalf, as if they were my own candidate. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I give people 24 hours from when I post asking for actions. If anyone doesn't respond in that time, then I make the most reasonable move on their behalf, as if they were my own candidate. 

Yes and that is what I had planned on doing. He has until 7:30 PM or 5 hours.

4 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I take a hit on Old Guard.

You already have a 1 in that group, choose another.

@vcczar

Do you intend to create a feedback thread for this board game? For example, I might reccomend that for the next version of the game that base stats have a cap of 6 to make results slightly easier to predict and also to give candidates more options for where to spend their points. 

If this were ever turned into a board game proper, it would be interesting to have cards drawn once per turn phase that have a specific effect.

For example, for the pre primaries phase, Gabbard draws a Sharp Critic card, which increases her chance of a successful attack during a debate. 

Or during the NV/SC phase, Huntsman draws a Powerful Speech card, which he can use during that phase or save for a later to have a +1 to a demographic in each state or a singular one.

Having these action cards could make debates a lot livelier, and campaigns a lot more interactive than how they are now. 

17 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

@vcczar

Do you intend to create a feedback thread for this board game? For example, I might reccomend that for the next version of the game that base stats have a cap of 6 to make results slightly easier to predict and also to give candidates more options for where to spend their points. 

If this were ever turned into a board game proper, it would be interesting to have cards drawn once per turn phase that have a specific effect.

For example, for the pre primaries phase, Gabbard draws a Sharp Critic card, which increases her chance of a successful attack during a debate. 

Or during the NV/SC phase, Huntsman draws a Powerful Speech card, which he can use during that phase or save for a later to have a +1 to a demographic in each state or a singular one.

Having these action cards could make debates a lot livelier, and campaigns a lot more interactive than how they are now. 

I plan on adding cards. You have access to commenting on the Doc. That's the best place to add feedback. If you can't find a good place to make the comment, then just put it anywhere on the document. Goes for everyone else as well, including @Reagan04

To further elaborate on this idea, I will give a one turn example of the gameplay, with the same candidates from the original playtest. 

Democrats

Joe Biden 

Bernie Sanders 

Amy Klobuchar 

Tulsi Gabbard 

Kirsten Gillibrand 

Beto O'Rourke 

Julian Castro 

Republicans

Donald Trump 

Mitt Romney 

John Kasich 

Ted Cruz 

Rand Paul 

Jeff Flake 

Marco Rubio 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Primaries

Standings Phase:

Trump and Biden are the default initial frontrunners. As such, they will get a +1 boost to any demographic of their choosing in Iowa or New Hampshire primary. 

Drawing Phase:

Each player must draw one Action Card from the pile. These cards have varying affects, and may be played before or after the debate round depending on the card specifications. 
NOTICE: For the intention of doing this game digitally, there will be only 10 cards, each assigned a value of 1-36 and put into the random number generator. These tencards are as follows:

1: Sharp Critic. A Sharp Critic can make even a seasoned debater make a misstep. The criteria for a successful debate attack is lowered to a roll of three. 1-5
2. Silvertongue. A silvertongued candidate always knows what to say to appear on top. Automatically has two points added to their debate score. 6-10
3. Thick Skinned. A candidate with Thick Skin just rolls with the punches. One attack that would have been otherwise successful is now deflected with no impact on debate score. 11-13
4. Flipflopper. A Flipflopper can't be trusted to live up to his campaign promises. Lower an opponents support for one demographic in one state for one turn. 14-19
5. Nixon. A Grand Flipflopper can't be trusted to live up to his campaign promises, at all! Lower an opponents support for one demographic in ALL states for one turn. Only one can be used on a candidate per phase, all others are voided. 20-21.
6. Baby Kisser: There's no better way to drum up support than to act like you care! Increase a demographic's support in one state for one phase. 22-27
7. JFK: Well dressed and a winning smile, voters eat you up! Increase one demographics support in all states for one phase. Only one can affect a candidate per phase. 28-29
8: Principled. A Principled candidate has the trust of the voters to do exactly what he promised to do. Immune to action cards that would lower your demographic support in one state for one turn. 30-34
9: Reagan. The people trust you implicitly. Immune to action cards that would lower your demographic support in ALL states for one turn. 35
10: Coolidge. Keepin' it cool with Coolidge. Automatically negate any card played by any one other candidate this phase. 36

The draws are as follows;

Joe Biden 21. Draws Nixon card. 
Bernie Sanders 15. Draws Flipflopper card.
Amy Klobuchar 11. Draws Thick Skinned card. 
Tulsi Gabbard 26. Draws Baby Kisser card.
Kirsten Gillibrand 6. Draws Silvertongue card. 
Beto O'Rourke 11. Draws Thick Skinned card. 
Julian Castro 18. Draws Flipflopper card. 

Donald Trump 30. Draws Principled card. 
Mitt Romney 1. Draws Sharp Critic card. 
John Kasich 25. Draws Baby Kisser card. 
Ted Cruz 26. Draws Baby Kisser card. 
Rand Paul 21. Draws Nixon card. 
Jeff Flake 4. Draws Sharp Critic card. 
Marco Rubio 27. Draws Baby Kisser card. 

Pre-Primary Debates:

Each candidate my select one other candidate of the same party to attack during the debate. First, select the opponent, and then state which demographic support you wish to attack. For instance, here is what I'll do:

Beto O'Rourke attacks Joe Biden on Loyalists. BETO PLAYS THICK SKINNED CARD. 
Bernie Sanders attacks Biden on Left
Gabbard attacks Klobuchar on the left
Kirsten Gillibrand attacks Bernie Sanders on Black Voters. GILLIBRAND PLAYS SILVERTONGUE CARD.
Julian Castro attacks Joe Biden on Loyalists.
Biden attacks O'Rourke on Party Loyalists
Klobuchar attacks Biden on Loyalists. KLOBUCHAR PLAYS THICK SKINNED CARD. 

Democrat Pre-Primary Debate results:

• Biden -1/1/2/2= 4 (attack on O'Rourke fails; Biden gains a point in Iowa and remains the frontrunner (keeps the extra frontrunner point in Iowa) ***TIED DEBATE WINNER***
  • Gillibrand 4 (attack on Sanders successful; Sanders loses point in Iowa) Gillibrand gains a point in Iowa ***TIED DEBATE WINNER*** 
  • Klobuchar -2/2= 0 (attack on Biden fails)
  • Castro 0 (attack on Biden is countered)
  • O'Rourke -1 (attack on Biden backfires; O'Rourke loses point in Iowa)
  • Gabbard -2 (attack on Klobuchar failed)
  • Sanders -2/-2= -4 (attack on Biden backfires;  Sanders loses three points in Iowa, one for the backfire, one for the flop, one for the Gillibrand attack) ***DEBATE FLOP***

Republican Pre-Primary Debate results:

Mitt Romney attacks Donald Trump on Moderates. ROMNEY PLAYS SHARP CRITIC CARD. 
Rand Paul attacks Trump on Libertarian
Trump attacks Romney on MAGA
John Kasich attacks Donald Trump on Old Guard.
Marco Rubio attacks Donald Trump on Moderates. 
Cruz attacks Trump on Christian Conservatives
Flake attacks Trump on Moderates. FLAKE PLAYS SHARP CRITIC CARD. 

• Trump -2/-2/0/3/5 = 4 (attack on Romney countered; Trump keeps the extra frontrunner point in Iowa) ***DEBATE WINNER***
  • Romney 2 (attack on Trump successful)
  • Flake 2 (attack on Trump successful)
  • Paul 0 (strong attack on Trump countered)
  • Rubio -1 (attack on Trump fails)
  • Cruz -3 (attack on Trump fails)
  • Kasich -5 (attack on Trump backfires tremendously; Kasich would permanently lose a a point on MAGA and Trump would gain on MAGA, but they are capped out; Kasich loses 1 point in Iowa for debate flop) ***DEBATE FLOP**

Pre-Primaries: Endorsement Primaries

• Party Loyalist endorsers endorse Biden over O'Rourke, and Klobuchar. Biden gets 1 point for IA and NH. Biden now had 3 pts for IA and 1 pt for NH, including the point for being the frontrunner.
  • The Left endorsers endorse Sanders without question. Sanders decreases his lost points in IA to 2 lost points and now has 1 pt for NH. 
  • Millennial endorsers endorse Sanders over O'Rourke. Sanders decreases his lost point in IA to 1 lost point and now has 2 pts for NH.
  • Black Voter endorsers endorse Biden without question. Biden now has a total of 4 pts for IA and 2 pts for NH.
  • Hispanic-Asian endorsers endorse Gabbard over Castro and O'Rourke. Gabbard now has 1 pt for IA and 1 pt for NH. 
  • Biden keeps his frontrunner status since no one had more endorsements than he did. 
  • O'Rourke, who didn't win any endorsements, still has a 1 pt lost in IA.
  • Moderate endorsers endorse Kasich over Romney. Kasich erases the lost pt in Iowa from his debate flop and gains 1 pt in NH.
  • Old Guard endorses Rubio over Romney, Kasich, and Flake. Rubio gains 1 pt in IA and NH.
  • Conservative Christians endorse Cruz over Trump. Cruz gains 1 pt in IA and NH. 
  • Libertarian endorsers endorse Paul without question. Paul gains 1 pt in IA and NH.
  • MAGA endorsers endorse Trump without question. Trump now has 2 pts in IA and 1 pt in NH, which includes his frontrunner point. 
  • Trump keeps his frontrunner status since no one had more endorsements than he did. 

Point Delegation Phase
    Biden adds three points to The Left and one point to Millennials in IA.
    Gillibrand adds one point to Loyalists in IA.

O'Rourke subtracts one point from Blacks in IA.
    Bernie subtracts one point from Millennials in IA. 

Trump adds one point to Christians and one point to Libertarians in IA.
    Cruz adds one point to Libertarians in IA.
    Rubio adds one point to Moderates in IA. 
    Paul adds one point to Moderates in IA. 
    Kasich subtracts one point from Moderates in IA.

• Action Card Phase
    Bernie plays Flipflopper on Biden in Iowa. Biden loses one point with Party Loyalists.
    Gabbard plays Baby Kisser in Iowa. Gabbard gains one point with the Left.
    Castro plays Flipflopper on Gabbard in Iowa. Gabbard loses one point with Hispanics/Asians.

Kasich plays Baby Kisser in Iowa. Kasich gains one point with Moderates. 
    Cruz plays Baby Kisser in Iowa. Cruz gains one point with MAGA.
    Rubio plays Baby Kisser in Iowa. Rubio gains one point with Christian Conservatives. 

Phase 1: IOWA PRIMARY!!!!

Iowa Democratic Primary:

Leftist Voters (base+enhancements+die roll)
    Biden      2+3+5 = 10
    Sanders 5+3 = 8
    O'Rourke 2+6 = 8
    Gillibrand 3+3 =6
    Klobuchar 2+1 =3
    Gabbard 3+1+4 = 8
    Castro 4+6 = 10
    Biden and Castro virtually tie, with Biden taking 15% and 7 delegates and Castro taking 15% and 8 delegates. 

Loyalist Voters 
    Biden 5-1+4 = 8
    Sanders 1+3 = 4
    O'Rourke 4+6 = 10
    Gillibrand 3+1+6 = 10
    Klobuchar 5+2 = 7
    Gabbard 1+5 = 6
    Castro 3+4 = 7
    Gillibrand and O'Rourke split the Loyalist vote. Each gets 10% of the vote and 5 delegates. 

Millennial Voters
    Biden 3+1+4=8
    Sanders 4-1+3=6
    O'Rourke 5+6=11
    Gillibrand 3+2=5
    Klobuchar 3+6=9
    Gabbard 3+1+6=10
    Castro 3+5=8
    O'Rourke wins the Millennial vote but by only one point so Gabbard earns a quarter of it. O'Rourke gets 15% of the Iowa vote and 8 delegates. Gabbard gets 2 delegates and 5% of the vote.

• Hispanic and Asian Voters
    Biden 2+2=4
    Sanders 1+4=5
    O'Rourke 4+5=9
    Gillibrand 2+6=8
    Klobuchar 3+3=6
    Gabbard 4+3=7
    Castro 5+6=11
    Castro gets 10% of the Iowa vote and 5 delegates. 

African-American Voters
    Biden 4+5=9
    Sanders 1+2=4
    O'Rourke 2-1+5=7
    Gillibrand 3+6=9
    Klobuchar 2+5=7
    Gabbard 3+1=4
    Castro 3+3=6
    Biden and Gillibrand split the African-American vote. They get 5% of the Iowa vote each, but Biden gets 3 delegates to Gillibrand's 2. Delegates cannot be split, and the extra delegate goes to whomever has a higher base #.

Misc Voters (10% of the vote which can be won only by those that have won a demographic)
    Biden 2
    Sanders n/a
    O'Rourke 3
    Gillibrand 4
    Klobuchar n/a
    Gabbard n/a
    Castro  4
    Gilllibrand and Castro split the Misc vote. Each get 5% of the Iowa vote. Castro performed better in IA and gets 3 delegates to Gillibrand's 2. 
  •  
    Iowa Democratic Primary Results: 
    Castro 30% 16 delegates
    O'Rourke 25% PV and 13 delegates 
    Biden 20% 10 delegates 
    Gillibrand 20% 9 delegates
    Gabbard 5% 2 delegate
    Klobuchar 0% 0 delegate
    Sanders 0% 0 delegates
    Biden loses a point in NH since he lost a primary as a frontrunner. Castro gets 2 pts in NH for winning Iowa and defeating the frontrunner. He also earns the "Challenger" moniker and gains a point in NV and SC. Klobuchar and Sanders lose 1 point in all demographic categories for NH and are encouraged to drop out.