270soft Forum

RIP John McCain

I rarely do these as other do on this forum, but McCain deserves our thoughts. He became heroic in his final year as he saved Healthcare for many Americans and was courageous enough to oppose Donald Trump when many others in the GOP stayed silent. I also remember his defense of Obama against one of his own bigoted supporters who had called Obama an "arab." He was too militant for my liking, but he occasionally surprised elsewhere when it mattered. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

heroic

He committed war crimes. I have love for everybody and I truly wish everyone the best in the afterlife, regardless of what they did with their time on this earth, but "heroic" is a word that should not be associated with John McCain. His plane was shot down while he was bombing a lightbulb factory. I'm okay with "Rest in Peace", but he was far from heroic.

4 minutes ago, jnewt said:

He committed war crimes. I have love for everybody and I truly wish everyone the best in the afterlife, regardless of what they did with their time on this earth, but "heroic" is a word that should not be associated with John McCain. His plane was shot down while he was bombing a lightbulb factory. I'm okay with "Rest in Peace", but he was far from heroic.

If you read the sentence, "heroic" is tied to his stance on healthcare and his opposition to Trump. 

Just now, vcczar said:

If you read the sentence, "heroic" is tied to his stance on healthcare and his opposition to Trump. 

You said he "became more heroic in his final year", meaning that he was heroic beforehand.

8 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I'd like to comment here that it's almost bankrupted my family.

His vote on healthcare was purely to spite Trump.

How has it almost bankrupted your family. A good portion of my friends wouldn't have healthcare without Obamacare, and most of my friends say it is cheaper than when they had it before. I do have a few friends--maybe 5--that mention that it isn't affordable. Personally, it's been 100% beneficial for me. 

Just now, vcczar said:

I know, but I singled it out because I don't think that term should ever be used to describe or be associated with him.

Just now, vcczar said:

How has it almost bankrupted your family. A good portion of my friends wouldn't have healthcare without Obamacare, and most of my friends say it is cheaper than when they had it before. I do have a few friends--maybe 5--that mention that it isn't affordable. Personally, it's been 100% beneficial for me. 

Healthcare costs infinitely more. I'm not posting numbers here for obvious reasons but it's put us on the brink of financial crisis at times.

9 minutes ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

John McCain was my Senator. I didn't agree with him 100% but I always respected him. May he rest in peace. 

Who do you think will be picked to replace him?

John McCain, whether you agree with his war record or not, was still a hero. Not for his achievements in the Senate, or his presidential bid. He was a hero in that when it came time for him to serve, and his number was up, he chose to stand up and be counted, rather than slink off to college, or fake a medical condition. He didn't have to agree with the war, when worst came to worst, he followed orders, and should be honored as a man who did not run away when his time came. His achievements in the Senate solidify his reputation as a man who always fought for the country he believed in, right up until the end. I am saddened by some of the hate he receives, but he would've made a fine president, but for the timing.

38 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Who do you think will be picked to replace him?

Honestly I'm unsure at the moment. I can't really think of anyone at the top of my head. Maybe my Governor will appoint someone that is less critical of the President. But we'll have to see, the next Senator will have big shoes to fill.

11 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

John McCain, whether you agree with his war record or not, was still a hero. Not for his achievements in the Senate, or his presidential bid. He was a hero in that when it came time for him to serve, and his number was up, he chose to stand up and be counted, rather than slink off to college, or fake a medical condition. He didn't have to agree with the war, when worst came to worst, he followed orders, and should be honored as a man who did not run away when his time came. His achievements in the Senate solidify his reputation as a man who always fought for the country he believed in, right up until the end. I am saddened by some of the hate he receives, but he would've made a fine president, but for the timing.

Agreed!

I am tired of people using the excuse that he "committed war crimes". I get you all have this world peace agenda, but there is a difference between a General ordering a civilian factory to be bombed than the soldier following orders in the honor of his country. If a soldier dedicated his life to perform multiple risky tasks, lived in a hellhole prison for years on end, and still wanted to serve his country after his imprisonment, I call that heroism.

3 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

I am tired of people using the excuse that he "committed war crimes". I get you all have this world peace agenda, but there is a difference between a General ordering a civilian factory to be bombed than the soldier following orders in the honor of his country. If a soldier dedicated his life to perform multiple risky tasks, lived in a hellhole prison for years on end, and still wanted to serve his country after his imprisonment, I call that heroism.

Agreed!

2 hours ago, Kingthero said:

So I'm assuming the Nazis who followed Hitler's orders were "following orders in the honor of [their] country"? There is no difference, you shouldn't follow orders that clearly violate international law. The Vietnam War was a sham. The real heroes are the Vietnamese peasant who saved him from dying by dragging him out of a lake when he was drowning and the Americans who stood up and protested a war that destroyed a country and devastated millions all in the name of "destroying communism". If a soldier dedicates his life to perform destructful tasks because he was ordered to do so that makes him a hero? The majority of the western world has become brainwashed; any time something is done to "destroy communism" it's automatically "heroism", despite all the devastation it does. It's time we start valuing life, and not forcing everyone to conform to us.

2 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

He didn't have to agree with the war, when worst came to worst, he followed orders, and should be honored as a man who did not run away when his time came.

By that logic Nazis who followed Hitler should be viewed as heroes too...

2 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

2 hours ago, Kingthero said:

2 hours ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

Agreed!

10 minutes ago, jnewt said:

By that logic Nazis who followed Hitler should be viewed as heroes too...

The Vietnam War produced no heroes at all and was a war that never should have happened (at least insofar as direct, on-the-ground, U.S. military intervention was concerned). It gained the U.S. nothing, had no moral, ethical, or other real value, and was only a waste of life, resources, political and diplomatic cache abroad, and social and cultural goodwill with the U.S. hawk majority of both parties in the government of the day with their own people, and this fact was actually apparent to many right from the start, but was completely ignored. NO young American man should have EVER been forced, made, or pressured to fight in that unethical, unjustifiable, fruitless war of utter political vanity, and the hawk majority of both parties and the military elite (generals and admirals) of the day should have all been tried - if for nothing else - for treason against their own people for the pointless and unbacked death of 700 000 or so American young for NOTHING. South Vietnam's government was so corrupt, politically backward, authoritarian, backstabbing, in-fighting, and uncaring of their own people and EXTREMELY prone to suppressing them with a bloody hand and violating their civil rights that they weren't even remotely worth defending, and, in fact, defending them was an immoral and evil act for propping up such a vile regime. There were no heroes in Vietnam - only those grimly doing the butcher's work, often because they had to.

I am always sad when someone has to go... and of course I am still shocked, although I already read that he halted his treatment. It might not be possible to fill the Senate seat of Arizona with such an incredible person again... Back in 2008 I was not able to get American politics fully, but now I know that it would have been a great honor for me to vote for him. Rest in Peace!

Great man,hero,a legend.One of rare Republicans with a spine to stand up to this wicked charade.RIP.

Man this is crazy, I always thought John McCain was pro-life.

1 minute ago, jdm06ltd said:

As someone who wore and honored the uniform he was a hero. 

He's no hero though. Being in the military doesn't make you a hero or even a remotely good person, in fact depending on what you do you can be just as shitty as the corrupt politicians that send you to war. Someone prove me wrong.