270soft Forum

Ethical theories

Which is your favored ethical theory?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favored ethical theory?

• Divine command theory
    • Natural law theory
    • Act utilitarianism
    • Rule utilitarianism
    • Contractarianism
    • Virtue theory
    • Kantism

44 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Which is your favored ethical theory:Divine Command theory, Natural law theory, Act utilitarianism, Rule utilitarianism,Contractarianism, Virtue theory or Kantism?

I'm a mixture of Divine Command Theory and Natural Law Theory.

1 hour ago, NYrepublican said:

Which is your favored ethical theory:Divine Command theory, Natural law theory, Act utilitarianism, Rule utilitarianism,Contractarianism, Virtue theory or Kantism?

Wow! What a bunch of horrible choices that have all, in their ways, been used to justify all manners of evil, monstrous, and inhuman acts. Forgive me if I skip this one.

Just now, Patine said:

Wow! What a bunch of horrible choices that have all, in their ways, been used to justify all manners of evil, monstrous, and inhuman acts. Forgive me if I skip this one.

Well what do you propose?

5 hours ago, IonicAmalgam said:

explain these terms in laymans

Divine command theory - The idea that whatever God says is right. If you have a moral question you consult the book.

Natural law theory - The idea that moral sensibilities are engrained in us but only because we're God-made.

Act utilitarianism - The idea that we should do whatever produces the greatest good for the greatest number period.

Rule utilitarianism - We ought to live by rules, which in general produce the greatest good for the greatest number. (Rule utilitarians tend to consider long-term effects of actions more so than act utilitarians. For example, under rule utilitarianism you can't kill someone who no one will miss to provide for 5 people on the organ transplant list who are expected to die due to an organ donation shortage.

Contractarianism -Ccontractarianism claims that moral norms derive their normative force from the idea of contract or mutual agreement.

Virtue theory - This is kinda complicated so I'll let Wikipedia do the explaining

As Aristotle argues in Book II of the Nicomachean Ethics, the man who possesses character excellence does the right thing, at the right time, and in the right way. Bravery, and the correct regulation of one's bodily appetites, are examples of character excellence or virtue. So acting bravely and acting temperately are examples of excellent activities. The highest aims are living well and eudaimonia a Greek word often translated as well-being, happiness or "human flourishing". Like many ethicists, Aristotle regards excellent activity as pleasurable for the man of virtue. For example, Aristotle thinks that the man whose appetites are in the correct order actually takes pleasure in acting moderately.

Kantism - There are moral lines in the sand which cannot be broken period. Those moral lines tend to consist of what Kant argued reason could determine.