270soft Forum

Forum Amendments for Article 2

Article 2 Proposals  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which changes should be made to our Constitution?

• award electoral college votes proportionally (with a minimum threshold of 10% in order to win any EVs) Note: if this proposal and proposal 13 both secure a majority, only the proposal with more votes will be approved
    • hold presidential elections every six years and prohibit the President from running for reelection (though allow for non-consecutive terms) Note: if this proposal and proposal 14 both secure a majority, only the proposal with more votes will be approved
    •  abolish the office of Vice President
    • establish a new line of succession where the President is followed by the Vice President (if said office is not abolished) and then the members of the cabinet (in the order their positions were created)
    • The president must fill all open vacancies in all areas in which he or she can make an appointment. The president has 90 days to make a nomination, and Congress has 90 days to hear and confirm/deny or the position is automatically confirmed.
    • Presidential recall: In order to initiate a recall election, a petition (or petitions) must be signed by an amount of people greater than 50% of that state's voters in the previous Presidential election. If this criterion is met, a recall election will be held with the winner serving the balance of the term..
    • Trigger a special election whenever a non-nationwide-elected official (e.g. Speaker of the House or Secretary of State) ascends to the Presidency (unless it is within one year of a scheduled election)
    • remove the words "natural born citizen" from Section 1 Clause 5
    • a parliamentary system amendment (similar to the Westminister system, but only with the parts relevant for addition to the article)
    • ranked-choice voting for Presidential elections
    • for treaties, 2/3rd's of the Senate must APPROVE not 2/3rds must DISAPPROVE
    • eliminate the word "misdemeanors" from Section 4
    • abolish the Electoral College entirely and have a popular vote with a second round if no majority is gained in the first round, like in France Note: if this proposal and proposal 1 both secure a majority, only the proposal with more votes will be approved
    • Shorten the President's term to 2 years, but allow for the President to run for 3 consecutive terms Note: if this proposal and proposal 2 both secure a majority, only the proposal with more votes will be approved
    • Allow the President to call early elections
    • None of the above

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/16/2018 at 04:43 AM

1 minute ago, jnewt said:

You proposed it well after the proposal period ended. You'll have to wait to propose it as a separate amendment. 

The proposal period began after I had logged out and ended before I logged back in the next time. And I'm a frequent poster. Thus, I charge it was a rush job. And at political conventions rush jobs are only usually done to force issues quickly for one particular faction's ulterior motives and stymie and curtail debate and possible real question, challenge, and amendment.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thus view the list of proposals, the vote, and the subsequent article null and void and insist the process begin anew with ample time for debate and well-considered proposals and a proper vote in good faith.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

I thus view the list of proposals, the vote, and the subsequent article null and void and insist the process begin anew with ample time for debate and well-considered proposals and a proper vote in good faith.

Just propose it as an amendment

Just now, NYrepublican said:

Just propose it as an amendment

Not good enough. It means acceding to you and @jnewt's railroading tactics here, and legitimizing them for this whole convention. A Constitution is not just something you haphazardly throw together like a Friday-night fry-up...

Just now, Patine said:

Not good enough. It means acceding to you and @jnewt's railroading tactics here, and legitimizing them for this whole convention. A Constitution is not just something you haphazardly throw together like a Friday-night fry-up...

Look Patine there was confusion here

1 minute ago, Patine said:

You proposed it after the poll was set up

3 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

A tie is absolutely needed in the Senate especially if we get stuck with a 50-50 split in the body.  If there was no way to break ties, then it would have the potential of grinding everything to a halt (making it difficult to pass something is good but the inability to pass anything at all would be dangerous).  Plus, the VP allows line of succession right after the President which the people voted for.  This makes it a lot less likely that we get a President that wasn't voted on by the people (member of Congress or cabinet).

The cabinet wasn't voted on by any of the public while every member can vote for a representative that serves in Congress.  It makes a lot more sense to have a person elected by the representatives of the people (which everyone who wanted to vote voted in the election) than some unelected bureaucrat appointed by the executive.

You're again saying that the Speaker and President pro tem were at least elected, by people the entire country elected, but the same goes for the cabinet. The entire cabinet was "elected" (in this case, by one person) who was elected by the entire country. I think having somebody selected by somebody the entire country voted as President is more indicative of who the country wants as President. Only a small portion of people voted for the person who becomes/became Speaker. The entire country voted for the President and put their faith in the President to select the cabinet. Not to mention the fact that they're in separate branches of government. As for breaking ties, the VP has only broken 264 ties in the country's history. That's a fairly small number when you think about it, and if we removed the VP there would be 264 less times a bill or nomination was based by a non-majority. The President shouldn't just be able to get what they want simply because Congress can't come to a conclusive decision. 

You proposed it after the poll was set up

And I'm saying the proposal time was ridiculously brief. Far too brief. Hence, my charge of rush jobs and railroading tactics. And your unwillingness and inflexibility on remedying the issue all the more confirms it in my mind.

Just now, Patine said:

And I'm saying the proposal time was ridiculously brief. Far too brief. Hence, my charge of rush jobs and railroading tactics. And your unwillingness and inflexibility on remedying the issue all the more confirms it in my mind.

Please propose it at amendments time

Please propose it at amendments time

No. I will NOT legitimize these railroading tactics. I demand the process be redone with a properly decent time to make proposals, consider, and debate. I will not accept a rush job as legitimate and final.

14 minutes ago, Patine said:

The proposal period began after I had logged out and ended before I logged back in the next time. And I'm a frequent poster. Thus, I charge it was a rush job. And at political conventions rush jobs are only usually done to force issues quickly for one particular faction's ulterior motives and stymie and curtail debate and possible real question, challenge, and amendment.

That is simply not true. You made other proposals, such as abolishing the electoral college entirely, as well as commenting on my proposals. You just forgot to propose this one in time. @NYrepublican and I are of completely different ideologies, so claiming that we rushed the convention in order to curtail debate is just senseless. 

4 minutes ago, jnewt said:

That is simply not true. You made other proposals, such as abolishing the electoral college entirely, as well as commenting on my proposals. You just forgot to propose this one in time. @NYrepublican and I are of completely different ideologies, so claiming that we rushed the convention in order to curtail debate is just senseless. 

There was barely anytime at all for proposals or debate for this article before a vote was called.

14 minutes ago, Patine said:

There was barely anytime at all for proposals or debate for this article before a vote was called.

There was 3 days. That was plenty of time for your other proposal(s) and comments. I posted the poll because the debating died down and I already made a last call for any other proposals. 

1 minute ago, jnewt said:

There was 3 days. That was plenty of time for your other proposal(s) and comments. I posted the poll because the debating died down and I already made a last call for any other proposals. 

3 days? Now that I look back the debate on Article 1 hadn't completely tied up yet. I think that is what prejudiced things and led to rushed proceedings.

I like an idea of 2 year terms,with unlimited terms,and a popular vote system.

everyone elses thoughts? 

1 minute ago, Patine said:

3 days? Now that I look back the debate on Article 1 hadn't completely tied up yet. I think that is what prejudiced things and led to rushed proceedings.

The debate on Article 1 had ended, the voting hadn't. There was over 72 hours between my post opening up debate/proposals on Article 2 and my post starting the vote. 

Just now, jnewt said:

The debate on Article 1 had ended, the voting hadn't. There was over 72 hours between my post opening up debate/proposals on Article 2 and my post starting the vote. 

What, exactly are you and @NYrepublican afraid of happening if a fresh and clear-headed new debate, proposals, and vote on this are made. I've already said several times what I'm afraid of happening if I accede and just accept to carry on.

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

What, exactly are you and @NYrepublican afraid of happening if a fresh and clear-headed new debate, proposals, and vote on this are made. I've already said several times what I'm afraid of happening if I accede and just accept to carry on.

WHAT!

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Who said anything about being afraid of your proposals? We told (and encourage) you to propose it as an amendment. It's not anyone's but your own fault that you forgot to include it with your other proposals. 

Just now, jnewt said:

Who said anything about being afraid of your proposals? We told (and encourage) you to propose it as an amendment. It's not anyone's but your own fault that you forgot to include it with your other proposals. 

I disagree. I still think the debate and vote on article 2 were railroaded, especially compared to that on article 1.