Jump to content
270soft Forum

Victorian Prime Minister


Recommended Posts

For anyone interested in British politics and history. I'm currently making two board games. One of them will likely be called Victorian Prime Minister, a game of Conservatives vs Liberals during the Age of Victoria. Tentatively, the game covers 1832-1914. This may change, however. The other game is likely to be called Shakespeare & Companies. The Shakespeare game will likely come out first, since I'm further along in the process. I'm just curious if anyone on here is somewhat of an amateur historian of Victorian Era British politics?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

For anyone interested in British politics and history. I'm currently making two board games. One of them will likely be called Victorian Prime Minister, a game of Conservatives vs Liberals during the Age of Victoria. Tentatively, the game covers 1832-1914. This may change, however. The other game is likely to be called Shakespeare & Companies. The Shakespeare game will likely come out first, since I'm further along in the process. I'm just curious if anyone on here is somewhat of an amateur historian of Victorian Era British politics?

Will it include Henry Campbell-Bannerman, who was effectively in office when Victoria was on her deathbed and Edward, Prince of Wales (soon to be Edward VII) had already taken up most of her monarchial functions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Patine said:

Will it include Henry Campbell-Bannerman, who was effectively in office when Victoria was on her deathbed and Edward, Prince of Wales (soon to be Edward VII) had already taken up most of her monarchial functions?

Yeah, I have him designated as one of about 70 politician cards. I have about 120 legislation/event cards. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, I have him designated as one of about 70 politician cards. I have about 120 legislation/event cards. 

How will Robert Peel's party be worked. He started as a prominent and influential Conservative (in fact, his short tenure as PM was as a Conservative), but when he split from his party over dissent over the Corn Tariff, he suddenly became a powerful and leading member of the Liberal Party?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Politicians can switch parties. The Corn Law repeal is one catalyst; however, Peel died or retired before his Peelites and the other Free Trade conservatives officially helped form the Liberal Party.. Another is the Irish Home Rule bill in 1886 that sends anti-Irish Liberals to the Conservatives

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, vcczar said:

For anyone interested in British politics and history. I'm currently making two board games. One of them will likely be called Victorian Prime Minister, a game of Conservatives vs Liberals during the Age of Victoria. Tentatively, the game covers 1832-1914. This may change, however. The other game is likely to be called Shakespeare & Companies. The Shakespeare game will likely come out first, since I'm further along in the process. I'm just curious if anyone on here is somewhat of an amateur historian of Victorian Era British politics?

Sounds interesting. I'm currently studying that period (partly) in history, along with the suffragists.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, vcczar said:

Politicians can switch parties. The Corn Law repeal is one catalyst; however, Peel died or retired before his Peelites and the other Free Trade conservatives officially helped form the Liberal Party.. Another is the Irish Home Rule bill in 1886 that sends anti-Irish Liberals to the Conservatives

Oh, were you going to include Keir Hardie at the very tail end? He only gained 9-13 seats (I think) with his Labour Representative Committee in 1900, and only a handful in the 1890's as leader (or at least a very senior member) of the Scottish Labour <something> Party, but his LRC has, of course, grown to completely eclipse the Liberals as the main viable electoral alternative to the Conservatives in the UK since.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patine said:

Oh, were you going to include Keir Hardie at the very tail end? He only gained 9-13 seats (I think) with his Labour Representative Committee in 1900, and only a handful in the 1890's as leader (or at least a very senior member) of the Scottish Labour <something> Party, but his LRC has, of course, grown to completely eclipse the Liberals as the main viable electoral alternative to the Conservatives in the UK since.

I don't have Keir Hardie. For the sake of game cost, I have to keep the politicians to about 70 of them, since I have to have other cards. Only politicians that:

- Were Prime Minister, were second in the running as PM, or had a chance at being PM, and

- Held one of the great cabinet offices. 

A major function of the game is naming your cabinet when you become PM.  The PM and cabinet handle the actions. The parliament is handled as groups, rather than through individual legislators. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...