270soft Forum

New Historical President RP

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wesley Congratulates Morris on Electoral Victory

Never would I thought we would get an incumbent president to defect to our party, but I do respect that Morris have given our party something special: a second president.

We are no longer just a cult of Henry; rather, we are truly the party of expansion in all regards.

6 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Wesley Congratulates Morris on Electoral Victory

Never would I thought we would get an incumbent president to defect to our party, but I do respect that Morris have given our party something special: a second president.

We are no longer just a cult of Henry; rather, we are truly the party of expansion in all regards.

OCC: Good move in accepting it. I was afraid Wesley was going to condemn the fact that Morris stole the party, causing a split, which would had led to a 6th party. In this alternative history, we may need to vote for a parliamentary system, if the country can stay together. 

34 minutes ago, vcczar said:

OCC: Good move in accepting it. I was afraid Wesley was going to condemn the fact that Morris stole the party, causing a split, which would had led to a 6th party. In this alternative history, we may need to vote for a parliamentary system, if the country can stay together. 

Governor Harris asks his supporters to have an open mind and a chance to undo this in 4 years. He encourages them to speak out when necessary, but discouraged secession as a way to do that. There are widespread rumors about a second run after the surprise win in the 1st round.

Morris on Election win

Currently, extremists are attempting to tear our nation apart, I denounce these people and will do everything in my power to keep our nation united. My third term will be focused on moderation and compromise. I'd like to thank John Wesley for his endorsement.

@vcczar

State of the Union for Mar 1857

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We are a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We are currently ranked a distant 3rd in industrial production behind Great Britain (now in first) and France. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 20 warships.

Foreign Affairs: We have a secret treaty with Great Britain. We are at war with Mexico and France. 

Military: We are at war. Our army is doing well in California and Texas. The Naval battles in the Gulf have been inconclusive, but the French are exiting the war. 

Economy: The economy is sliding since trade is hampered by the war. Stocks are dropping because of fears of an expanded war and of secession. 

Trade: The tariff is now moderate. Trade is restrict because of the war. 

Budget: We have paid off the debt. Tariff and taxes are moderate. Our budget is at a good level, especially since Great Britain is paying for the war...for now. 

Social Harmony: Harmony is not good. Both the North and the South have threats for secession. Florida and Kansas are bloody messes. 

Immigration: restrictive. We have banned Irish and German immigration. Some believe that such bans are detrimental to commerce and production. Others believe that immigration restriction is needed to maintain purity and keep wages higher. 

Mood of the people: Not good; except for the expansionists, who are happy. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Pres. Morris is not terribly popular despite winning another term. Expansionists favor him the most. 

Party Power: No single party has an advantage, since the country is split between three parties. The Federalists have slightly larger representation in the US House, and now as well in the US Senate. Republicans are the smallest party. A new States Rights Party in the Deep South and Liberty Party in New England have formed over the slavery issue. Five Parties now exist. 

Events and Decisions for March 1857-March 1861 @WVProgressive for Pres. Morris

1) War with Mexico

A new government has taken over in Britain. The new ambassador to the US states that the British will not intervene in the Mexican War unless the US abolishes slavery. They condemn the US for being morally backward, and the country cannot support a country that allows slavery against a country the has abolished slavery (Mexico). 

As such, the US will have to fund both their military and go it alone. 

Early in Morris's term, the army in California finally gains a decisive victory in California, destroying the Mexican force there, and securing the Gold Mines, before the Mexicans can destroy it. The army then heads South. 

In Texas, the opposite occurs, as the US Army is thrown out of Texas by the Mexican force, which has been reinforced by a Mexican militia in Louisiana. 

With the Gulf mostly, the US military launches an amphibious assault towards Galveston. The US Navy strikes a decisive victory over the Mexican Navy, allowing the force to land at Galveston. The War Department begins to build another force for Vera Cruz, but wonders if such a forced should be held back in the event of secession. 

2) Bleeding Florida and Bleeding Kansas. 

Violence continues in both Florida and Kansas. In Florida, new elections sees the confrontations between supporters of abolitionism and slavery escalate.. Leaders refuse to go to the White House until the president throws aside moderation and chooses one side over the other. 

3) Secessionists in New England and in the Deep South. 

Both regions meet to consider secession. The South sends a manifesto to the President. 1) All land acquired in Mexico will be a Slave State. 2) We will annex the entire county of Mexico. 3) Florida will be reverted to a Slave State. 4) Islands in the Caribbean will be pursued as slave states. The Northern Abolitionists, aware of the manifesto make their counter-manifesto clear--Slavery must be abolished throughout the nation. 

4) Mormons setting up a polygamist government in the Utah Territory. 

The Mormons are reported to have set up a theocracy in the Utah Territory and are practicing polygamy, which is outlawed. Conservatives are wishing that the government use physical force to compel them to normal behavior. 

5) Economy is taking a dive after railroad speculation; urban worker riot

War and expansion has led to railroad speculation, which has led to the economy taking a dive. Workers have been laid off in some cities, causing urban riots. If this progresses, we won't be able to fund the war. However, some argue that the US Bank will prevent further damage. 

6) Abolish the Bank

Conservatives, mostly in the South and West, are calling for the US Bank to be abolished. They blame the bank on the economic collapse. 

7) Minnesota, Kansas, and Oregon statehood

The following three states wish to entire the union. MN and OR will enter as Free States. KS is composed primarily of Free Staters, but the Slave State settlers too control of the government early and voted in a Slave State constitution. 

8.) Industrialists want to remove restrictions on immigration now that the war has taken so many workers. 

Industrialists in New England, despite the economic collapse and layoffs, want immigration restrictions on Irish and Germans removed, as they have lost workers to war and to the economy. The immigrants are cheaper. However, unemployed workers are protesting, declaring that immigrants are taking their jobs, and that the industrialists are robbing the people of America of their right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. There is a growing movement to ban all immigration from the US. 

14 minutes ago, vcczar said:

7) Minnesota, Kansas, and Oregon statehood

The following three states wish to entire the union. MN and OR will enter as Free States. KS is composed primarily of Free Staters, but the Slave State settlers too control of the government early and voted in a Slave State constitution. 

What's the current balance of free to slave states before I make a decision?

17 minutes ago, vcczar said:

5) Economy is taking a dive after railroad speculation; urban worker riot

War and expansion has led to railroad speculation, which has led to the economy taking a dive. Workers have been laid off in some cities, causing urban riots. If this progresses, we won't be able to fund the war. However, some argue that the US Bank will prevent further damage. 

6) Abolish the Bank

Conservatives, mostly in the South and West, are calling for the US Bank to be abolished. They blame the bank on the economic collapse. 

We won't abolish the bank, the real problem is railroad speculation, perhaps we can regulate it with some sort of tax, if not outright ban it.

21 minutes ago, vcczar said:

4) Mormons setting up a polygamist government in the Utah Territory. 

The Mormons are reported to have set up a theocracy in the Utah Territory and are practicing polygamy, which is outlawed. Conservatives are wishing that the government use physical force to compel them to normal behavior. 

Allow the Mormons to remain for now, they aren't hurting anyone else and we have more important matters to attend to.

23 minutes ago, vcczar said:

8.) Industrialists want to remove restrictions on immigration now that the war has taken so many workers. 

Industrialists in New England, despite the economic collapse and layoffs, want immigration restrictions on Irish and Germans removed, as they have lost workers to war and to the economy. The immigrants are cheaper. However, unemployed workers are protesting, declaring that immigrants are taking their jobs, and that the industrialists are robbing the people of America of their right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. There is a growing movement to ban all immigration from the US. 

I continue to allow congress the final say on Immigration.

25 minutes ago, vcczar said:

With the Gulf mostly, the US military launches an amphibious assault towards Galveston. The US Navy strikes a decisive victory over the Mexican Navy, allowing the force to land at Galveston. The War Department begins to build another force for Vera Cruz, but wonders if such a forced should be held back in the event of secession. 

Move along with the plans to attack Vera Cruz, this will hopefully quicken the war so we can then focus the army on possible secession

27 minutes ago, vcczar said:

A new government has taken over in Britain. The new ambassador to the US states that the British will not intervene in the Mexican War unless the US abolishes slavery. They condemn the US for being morally backward, and the country cannot support a country that allows slavery against a country the has abolished slavery (Mexico). 

As such, the US will have to fund both their military and go it alone. 

My aforementioned tax on speculation will help pay for the war as well as war bonds.

28 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Early in Morris's term, the army in California finally gains a decisive victory in California, destroying the Mexican force there, and securing the Gold Mines, before the Mexicans can destroy it. The army then heads South. 

In Texas, the opposite occurs, as the US Army is thrown out of Texas by the Mexican force, which has been reinforced by a Mexican militia in Louisiana. 

Can we have the Californian army attack the Mexicans in Texas along with Texas Army, and is there any way to re-enforce the Texan front? 

31 minutes ago, vcczar said:

3) Secessionists in New England and in the Deep South. 

Both regions meet to consider secession. The South sends a manifesto to the President. 1) All land acquired in Mexico will be a Slave State. 2) We will annex the entire county of Mexico. 3) Florida will be reverted to a Slave State. 4) Islands in the Caribbean will be pursued as slave states. The Northern Abolitionists, aware of the manifesto make their counter-manifesto clear--Slavery must be abolished throughout the nation. 

In an attempt to please both sides I'll agree to 1) and 3) of the Southern Manifesto but I also reverse 4) and will guarantee all Caribbean purchases as Free states in hopes to please Abolitionists.

52 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

What's the current balance of free to slave states before I make a decision?

12 Slave States and 16 Free States

53 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

We won't abolish the bank, the real problem is railroad speculation, perhaps we can regulate it with some sort of tax, if not outright ban it.

Northerners jump at an opportunity for a railroad tax. The South opposes a tax on a railroad system that is mostly absent in the South, which is opposed to internal improvements, for the most part. Neither New England nor the Deep South have Congresspersons and Senators in the Congress, as they are with their secession conventions. A railroad tax passes with the support of the North and West. It has been placed on your desk to sign. The tax is moderate for now. 

56 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

I continue to allow congress the final say on Immigration.

As New England has not sent its congress persons, a bill to either loosen immigration or to ban all immigrants, fails to come to a vote. 

57 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Move along with the plans to attack Vera Cruz, this will hopefully quicken the war so we can then focus the army on possible secession

The president orders the military to move on Vera Cruz. The US Navy keeps the Mexican ships away from the ships carrying troops. The landing is successful. 

Meanwhile, Mexican troops in Texas head South to attack the force at Galveston, which allows General Scott Winfield's troops to reenter Texas from Arkansas. 

US Troops in California meet resistance at the California southern border, and try to push further South enroute to Mexico City. 

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

Can we have the Californian army attack the Mexicans in Texas along with Texas Army, and is there any way to re-enforce the Texan front? 

Your generals tell you that the distance is too great, and that the army will likely get lost in the desert between the two forces, effectively taking them out of the war. They have been ordered to march to Mexico City. 

In an attempt to please both sides I'll agree to 1) and 3) of the Southern Manifesto but I also reverse 4) and will guarantee all Caribbean purchases as Free states in hopes to please Abolitionists.

Both parties reject the attempt to compromise. Northern states that they will accept nothing but the irreversible abolition of slavery, and the South will not compromise on a single part of their Manifesto, as any break from it will result in the gradual breakup of their way of life. Floridians upon news of the president's willingness to subvert their Free State constitution, raises the ire of the Floridians in power; although, about 40% of the population is overjoyed. 

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

Northerners jump at an opportunity for a railroad tax. The South opposes a tax on a railroad system that is mostly absent in the South, which is opposed to internal improvements, for the most part. Neither New England nor the Deep South have Congresspersons and Senators in the Congress, as they are with their secession conventions. A railroad tax passes with the support of the North and West. It has been placed on your desk to sign. The tax is moderate for now. 

I sign.

Both parties reject the attempt to compromise. Northern states that they will accept nothing but the irreversible abolition of slavery, and the South will not compromise on a single part of their Manifesto, as any break from it will result in the gradual breakup of their way of life. Floridians upon news of the president's willingness to subvert their Free State constitution, raises the ire of the Floridians in power; although, about 40% of the population is overjoyed. 

Alright, how about we send the manifestos over to the legislature, this should convince both parties to re-send their delineations to congress.

The president orders the military to move on Vera Cruz. The US Navy keeps the Mexican ships away from the ships carrying troops. The landing is successful. 

Meanwhile, Mexican troops in Texas head South to attack the force at Galveston, which allows General Scott Winfield's troops to reenter Texas from Arkansas. 

US Troops in California meet resistance at the California southern border, and try to push further South enroute to Mexico City. 

I'm satisfied with the current state of the war. 

@vcczar

Alright, how about we send the manifestos over to the legislature, this should convince both parties to re-send their delineations to congress.

Both secessionist conventions will meet. New England is deadlocked on secession, and they opt to wait until the next election, declaring they will only accept an abolitionist next election. . The Deep South votes tentatively in favor of secession, but they have determined to wait until they can draw in more states. Southern ambassadors are visiting with the other slave states. 

I'm satisfied with the current state of the war. 

Taylor Zachary's army makes more progress into Mexico, but he keeps facing resistance. He calls for more reinforcements. 

Scott Winfield's army and the Galveston Army meet up and demolish the Mexican Army in Texas, they will now move towards Mexico City. 

The Army in Vera Cruz loses it's first engagement, forcing them back to the beach, but intact. 

Naval battles in the Gulf are inconclusive 

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Taylor Zachary's army makes more progress into Mexico, but he keeps facing resistance. He calls for more reinforcements. 

Scott Winfield's army and the Galveston Army meet up and demolish the Mexican Army in Texas, they will now move towards Mexico City. 

The Army in Vera Cruz loses it's first engagement, forcing them back to the beach, but intact. 

Naval battles in the Gulf are inconclusive 

Raise some more troops to re-enforce Zachary's army.

11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Both secessionist conventions will meet. New England is deadlocked on secession, and they opt to wait until the next election, declaring they will only accept an abolitionist next election. . The Deep South votes tentatively in favor of secession, but they have determined to wait until they can draw in more states. Southern ambassadors are visiting with the other slave states. 

I'll try to convince both sides not to secede reminding New-England that I favor Abolition eventually but that it is simply not possible at the current time and using my connections in Massachusetts, I also ask all anti-secession politicians especial those from the South and New-England to publicly denounce these groups and to aid me in this fight.

@vcczar

11 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Raise some more troops to re-enforce Zachary's army.

I'll try to convince both sides not to secede reminding New-England that I favor Abolition eventually but that it is simply not possible at the current time and using my connections in Massachusetts, I also ask all anti-secession politicians especial those from the South and New-England to publicly denounce these groups and to aid me in this fight.

@vcczar

Zachary's army gets pushed back into California by a resurgent Mexican Army.  However, reinforcements arrive. 

Scott's army, now reinforced with the Galveston army head south, but face a set back when they are defeated at the Rio Grande. They are still intact, and will push forward. 

The army at Vera Cruz, manages to push forward, by they are receiving some heavy losses. 

The Naval battles in the Gulf are still inconclusive. 

The Mexican President sends a letter to President Morris calling for a cease fire. They wish to discuss terms, promising that California, at the very least, will be relinquished to the US. The President of Mexico is under pressure from his legislature and from the people to end this long war, which has ruined both economies and caused a major loss of life for both sides. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Zachary's army gets pushed back into California by a resurgent Mexican Army.  However, reinforcements arrive. 

Scott's army, now reinforced with the Galveston army head south, but face a set back when they are defeated at the Rio Grande. They are still intact, and will push forward. 

The army at Vera Cruz, manages to push forward, by they are receiving some heavy losses. 

The Naval battles in the Gulf are still inconclusive. 

The Mexican President sends a letter to President Morris calling for a cease fire. They wish to discuss terms, promising that California, at the very least, will be relinquished to the US. The President of Mexico is under pressure from his legislature and from the people to end this long war, which has ruined both economies and caused a major loss of life for both sides. 

We'll negotiate, this will hopefully allow us to focus on rebuking secession attempts. 

3 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

We'll negotiate, this will hopefully allow us to focus on rebuking secession attempts. 

Mexican diplomats offer the Mexican States of California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Louisiana in exchange for war damages, rights to gold mines, and the protection and equality under the law of any former Mexican citizens of European, African, Indian, or Latin American descent that opts to stay in the US. The treaty will allow Mexico to face defeat with some honor in tact. The Mexican president waits for either your approval or counter-offer. 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Mexican diplomats offer the Mexican States of California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Louisiana in exchange for war damages, rights to gold mines, and the protection and equality under the law of any former Mexican citizens of European, African, Indian, or Latin American descent that opts to stay in the US. The treaty will allow Mexico to face defeat with some honor in tact. The Mexican president waits for either your approval or counter-offer

We agree to the terms of this treaty.

State of the Union for Mar 1860

National Strength: We have sunk behind Germany, and are now 4th in production. However, our defeat of Mexico, has made us into the only major power in the Western Hemisphere, if you exclude British Canada. 

Military Strength: We have 50,000 troops and 18 warships, and this needs to be replenished. 

Foreign Affairs: We lack any real alliances. 

Military: We have just secured a major victory over Mexico. Losses were rather large in this long-drawn out war. We currently are not engaged with our military. 

Economy: The war and speculation sunk our economy, which is slowly rebuilding.

Trade: The tariff is now moderate. Trade is increasing now that the war is over. 

Budget: Tariff and taxes are moderate. We should raise taxes or the tariff to pay off some of the Mexican War debt. 

Social Harmony: New England and the Deep South wish to leave the Union. So much depends on the Free-Slave status of the new territories taken from Mexico. 

Immigration: Restrictive. We have banned Irish and German immigration. Some industrialists are calling for the restrictions to be removed as workers have been killed in war and many are likely to move west. Some are calling for allowing immigrants to move West to fill out the Western territories. 

Mood of the people: Not good.

Popularity of the Incumbent: Pres. Morris is emphatically supported by expansionists, but he is opposed by the rest of the country. 

Party Power: No single party has an advantage, since the country is split between three parties. The Federalists have slightly larger representation in the US House, and now as well in the US Senate. Republicans are the smallest party. A new States Rights Party in the Deep South and Liberty Party in New England have formed over the slavery issue. Five Parties now exist. 

Will Pres. Morris run for, yet, another term? @WVProgressive Who will challenge him from his own party or from the other four? Fill out the below:

Name and Office:

Resident State:

Party:

Platform (look at the State of the Union above)

John Wesley endorses Morris for the American Progress Ticket if he runs again, will run if Morris chooses not to

Henry Leech, a Virginia Conservative Senator, runs for the Republican Ticket

National Strength: A combination of southern slavery and northern industry will propel this country to great prosperity.

Military Strength: We shall aim to build on our navy, as our main threats are now overseas.

Foreign Affairs: We should seek an alliance with Prussia.

Military: See military strength.

Economy: We shall use our two economies together instead of apart to bring one union, our union, into prosperity.

Trade: We should seek to expand trade immediately.

Budget: It should be our priority to pay off the debt as soon as possible.

Social Harmony: States have the right to secede; however, seceding over an issue as pathetic as slavery is selfish. I am pro-slavery, as a grand majority of us treat our slaves well and are moral about it. If the new england states want to secede because they hate slaves, good luck.

Immigration: We should open immigration to expand our settlements in the west.

Mood of the people: Its time to choose a side; I am pro-slavery, but also am not for treating slaves poorly. If we were to convince the population that slaves being treated badly is rare, than perhaps tensions would dissipate. However, if new england wants to secede, than so be it.

Popularity of the Incumbent: Pres. Morris is highly appreciated for making President Henry's war successful, but its time for new leadership.

Party Power: Republicans are the smallest party, but I hope to bring our message to be more appealing to a lot of middle ground states.

Name:Frank Maverick

Position:Senator from Vermont,1844 Fed Nominee

Party:Federalist

Platform:

Military Strenght:Increase troops to 60.000 and 22 warships.Modernize both army and navy.

Foreign Affairs:Get closer relationships with France.Start negotiating about full scale alliance.

Military:Keep peace.

Economy:Raise taxes and wages.Increase employment and job opportunites to rebuild economy.Healthy economy will be absolute priority of my potential first term!

Trade:Raise trade tarrifs,

States:Give all new states Free state status.Call for abolishment of slavery.

Immigration:Remove all restrictions!Those are all people just like we are!

2 hours ago, vcczar said:
State of the Union for Mar 1860

National Strength: We have sunk behind Germany, and are now 4th in production. However, our defeat of Mexico, has made us into the only major power in the Western Hemisphere, if you exclude British Canada. 

Military Strength: We have 50,000 troops and 18 warships, and this needs to be replenished. 

Foreign Affairs: We lack any real alliances. 

Military: We have just secured a major victory over Mexico. Losses were rather large in this long-drawn out war. We currently are not engaged with our military. 

Economy: The war and speculation sunk our economy, which is slowly rebuilding.

Trade: The tariff is now moderate. Trade is increasing now that the war is over. 

Budget: Tariff and taxes are moderate. We should raise taxes or the tariff to pay off some of the Mexican War debt. 

Social Harmony: New England and the Deep South wish to leave the Union. So much depends on the Free-Slave status of the new territories taken from Mexico. 

Immigration: Restrictive. We have banned Irish and German immigration. Some industrialists are calling for the restrictions to be removed as workers have been killed in war and many are likely to move west. Some are calling for allowing immigrants to move West to fill out the Western territories. 

Mood of the people: Not good.

Popularity of the Incumbent: Pres. Morris is emphatically supported by expansionists, but he is opposed by the rest of the country. 

Will Pres. Morris run for, yet, another term? @WVProgressive Who will challenge him from his own party or from the other four? Fill out the below:

Name and Office:

Resident State:

Party:

Platform (look at the State of the Union above)

Since people are used to Richardson's losing I will give it a shot as a new candidate.

Name and Office: Governor Henry B. Gloucester (1815-1902), Gov. since 1851, before that the scion of an old aristocratic family from England served for 6 years on the North Carolina Supreme Court.

Resident State: North Carolina

Party: Republican

National Strength: Focus on rebuilding our economy instead of tearing this country apart. Let us, who believe in our great nation work together.

Military Strength: Increase the size of our military and continue to develop new weapon technologies.

Foreign Affairs: We should not isolate ourselves. Instead look which deals could be the most valuable for our nation. I agree with Senator Leech's position on talking with Prussia.

Military: Do not engage in any new wars yet, as it might be not valuable for us.

Economy: We need a dynamic economy again. Let North and South work their ways instead constantly pushing down our entire nation.

Trade: Continue trade with Europe and strength our position in Asia.

Budget: We should keep a balanced budget and pay off anything if we have to.

Social Harmony: Secession is illegal, whether it is carried out by the North or the South. I denounce this form of radicalism, despite I am from the South. This country will not go down over this issue. Otherwise our ancestors fought for nothing. They fought for independence because they believed that we are the greatest nation on Earth. As President I will work for all Americans and I will focus on improve our lifes. This generation has to work harder so the next generation can live in prosperity.

Immigration: I agree with Senator Leech. Let us fill the West with immigrants. If other regions request additional workers, I am fine with immigration as well. The dependency of slavery the necessary evil will ease afterwards.

Mood of the people: As I said, as President I will work for all Americans, because I believe in our wonderful nation.

Popularity of the Incumbent: President Morris did some things right, others not. After so many years it is time for a fresh leader.

Party Power: The Republican Party still has a message, not just for the South. I will continue to fight for our legacy and I will carry on the values which made us great years ago.

If not chosen as party nominee, I am open to serve as VP as well. Sen. Richardson of Arkansas might be a VP candidate too, if Gloucester is not elected at the convention.

VP candidate for another Party;

Federalist Rep. Sylvester Houghes (1803-1877) of MA 2nd district since 1849.

Elijah Morris endorses John Wesley for president, says it's time for him to step away.  @Kingthero

34 minutes ago, vcczar said:

We need a States Rights and Liberty Party candidate

Name and Office: Governor Gregory Brooke

Resident State: Maine

Party: Liberty

Platform:

National Strength: A raise in the tariff will build-up our industry.

Foreign Affairs: Pursue Isolationism, mind our business and others will as well. 

Military: Reduce our military strength so as to focus on other things. 

Trade and Economy: Raise the tariff to help northern industry.

Budget: Raise taxes and tariffs to pay of the budget deficit quickly.

Social Harmony: We will secede if The South continues to impose their laws on us.

Immigration: Allow immigration to allow our industrialists access to cheap labor.

Popularity of the Incumbent: Morris sold out to the Slave Power, he's just as bad as the slave owners.