270soft Forum

New Historical President RP

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:
State of the Union for Election Day 1852

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We are a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We are currently ranked a distant 3rd in industrial production behind Great Britain (now in first) and France. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships. Mexico has a larger army, and we have a larger navy. 

Foreign Affairs: We have a secret treaty with Great Britain. We are at war with Mexico and France. 

Military: We are at war with Mexico and France. Our army is doing well in California and Texas. The Naval battles in the Gulf have been inconclusive. We are winning the war, so far, but it is early. 

Economy: The economy is sliding since trade is hampered by the war. Stocks are dropping because of fears of an expanded war and of secession. 

Trade: The tariff is now moderate. Trade is restrict because of the war. 

Budget: We have paid off the debt. Tariff and taxes are moderate. Our budget is at a good level, especially since Great Britain is paying for the war...for now. 

Social Harmony: Harmony is not good. The South threatens to secede while we are at War with Mexico. The primary cause of the secession threat is Florida's status as a Free State. 

Immigration: We had a massive influx of Irish, but we have now banned Irish immigrants. 

Mood of the people: Not good; except for the expansionists, who are happy. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Pres. Morris maintains some popularity in New England, but they are upset on how much he's compromised. Much of the country has more respect for him than they had when he was a more puritan abolitionist. Expansionists have a conflicted feeling on Morris. 

Party Power: No single party has an advantage, since the country is split between three parties. The Federalists have slightly larger representation in the US House, and now as well in the US Senate. 

Will Pres. Morris run for reelection? @WVProgressive  If not, who will be the Federalist candidate? Who will run as the Republican? Who will run as the American Progressive candidate? Will the Deep South even participate in the election? Fill out the following, if your character is running for president:

Name and position:

Residential state:

Party:

Platform (have a position on the bold sections of this State of the Union):

Create a VP for a different party: 

Is it alright if I fill this out in the morning? I’m driving tonight. It will be roughly 16 hrs otherwise I can try and type on mobile and do everything but the platform, maybe some portions of it

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Is it alright if I fill this out in the morning? I’m driving tonight. It will be roughly 16 hrs otherwise I can try and type on mobile and do everything but the platform, maybe some portions of it

OCC: You have 24 hrs from my post

1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

OOC:(Poop, the map I saw earlier just had them divided, must've been just the website used), changed to Maryland

Yes it is a website issue. 

42 minutes ago, vcczar said:

OCC: You have 24 hrs from my post

Ok did it all on mobile lol

Name and position: Senator Paul Miller

Residential state: Delaware

Party: Republican

Platform (have a position on the bold sections of this State of the Union):National Strength: Miller hopes to become a power near France by the end of his hopeful 8 years in office.

Military Strength: Senator Miller advocates using the militias and increasing the regular army to 95,000 men and the navy to 30 warships.

Foreign Affairs: Miller supports better relations with GB and wants more with Austria and other European powers.

Military: Miller is extremely worried about the current state of the war. He’s not sure that we can handle a fight with France at this time without help from GB or Prussia. We need to upgrade our navy soon.

Economy: Miller says that we can’t handle more than one war at a time so we have to resolve the Mexican war before the South can even think about seceding.

Trade: he advocates for increased trade

Budget: Senator Miller advocates for a loosening of the tariffs, arguing they needlessly hurt the South. He says a gradual decrease will be sufficient.

Social Harmony: Miller lays the fault of social disharmony squarely at the feet of the President. If it weren’t for the Federalists bad policies, we wouldn’t be having this problem. They ignored the South’s concerns and now they struggle with its consequences. 

Immigration: He believes that immigration needs to be curtailed, but not necessarily shut down. He recognizes that he will need immigrant votes.

Mood of the people: Sen. Miller will vow to keep the South in the Union by any means necessary, and will work as a compromise candidate.

Popularity of the Incumbent: Miller believes the incumbent has sacrificed popularity for power and will hammer him on the idea of starting a second war.

Party Power: Sen. Miller is intent on getting a Republican Congress by helping down ballot races in races that they are close in. He feels by entering the race, if the Deep South secedes, they won’t surrender the race.

Create a VP for a different party: Governor Johnathan Livingston of Maine, Progress Party

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

National Strength: We are a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We are currently ranked a distant 3rd in industrial production behind Great Britain (now in first) and France. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships. Mexico has a larger army, and we have a larger navy. 

Foreign Affairs: We have a secret treaty with Great Britain. We are at war with Mexico and France. 

Military: We are at war with Mexico and France. Our army is doing well in California and Texas. The Naval battles in the Gulf have been inconclusive. We are winning the war, so far, but it is early. 

Economy: The economy is sliding since trade is hampered by the war. Stocks are dropping because of fears of an expanded war and of secession. 

Budget: We have paid off the debt. Tariff and taxes are moderate. Our budget is at a good level, especially since Great Britain is paying for the war...for now. 

Social Harmony: Harmony is not good. The South threatens to secede while we are at War with Mexico. The primary cause of the secession threat is Florida's status as a Free State. 

Immigration: We had a massive influx of Irish, but we have now banned Irish immigrants. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Pres. Morris maintains some popularity in New England, but they are upset on how much he's compromised. Much of the country has more respect for him than they had when he was a more puritan abolitionist. Expansionists have a conflicted feeling on Morris. 

Party Power: No single party has an advantage, since the country is split between three parties. The Federalists have slightly larger representation in the US House, and now as well in the US Senate. 

Will Pres. Morris run for reelection? @WVProgressive  If not, who will be the Federalist candidate? Who will run as the Republican? Who will run as the American Progressive candidate? Will the Deep South even participate in the election? Fill out the following, if your character is running for president:

Name and position:

Residential state:

Party:

I think I will give it a shot again as Richardson.

Name and position: Senator Earl L. Richardson

Residential state: Arkansas

Party: Republican

- continue the war until we have won, if we seem to lose enact a conscription law. Focus on expansionism.

- I am against secession, as I believe in our wonderful Union and I think electing a Southern politician to the White House would make states less likely to secede. Richardson will be a president for all Americans, we will attempt to ease the pains of all whether they are living in the North, South or West

- hindering secession and winning a profit in our war will bring back a dynamic economy. We need stable leadership and I offer this.

- consider splitting up Florida into two states. One free and one slave state, if this would satisfy all people who are feeling overruled. Admit, if possible through the war, Louisiana and Texas as slave states to balance the needs of the South. We still honour the Missouri compromise, but perhaps it would be wise letting Iowans and possibly Californians decide in a referendum. The peoples interests matter first

- Irish immigration is a danger to some, but it could also be possibility for our Southern brothers to gain new laborers. If Irish settlement is allowed in small capacities try to relocate them in Southern states. This would also ease the dependency to slavery.

Benjamin M. Hickory (1789-1862)

Federalist Senator from Connecticut since 1837

OOC: @Hestia11 I just saw that you created also a Republican candidate. I hope we have a good convention :D 

If not chosen as nominee, Richardson offers to serve as a VP candidate for our nominee as well.

1 minute ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

OOC: @Hestia11 I just saw that you created also a Republican candidate. I hope we have a good convention :D 

If not chosen as nominee, Richardson offers to serve as a VP candidate for our nominee as well.

OOC: nice lol Senator Miller offers the same to Richardson 

Two Term Senator, Three Term Congressman, and other more local New York Offices holder John Wesley of the American Progress Party runs for office.

Name and position: Senator John Wesley

Residential state: New York

Party: Progress

Platform: 

National Strength: Continue Former President Henry's interactive foreign policy and hold the position as the biggest nation in the Western Hemisphere.

Military Strength: Keep the military at realistic levels as to combat all threats bordering our country.

Foreign Affairs: Secure a hopefully early peace in the Mexican War, hopefully securing California and Texas.

Military: Work on the growing success of the army, and again mobilize our powerful Atlantic merchants to fight against the French navy in the Atlantic.

Economy: Use the war to employ the laborers of the North in order to establish America's arms industry.

Trade: Deal with our limited trade as we have now, but expand it after the war to make our war industries stay relevant and provide arms abroad.

Budget: Maintaining a stable budget is key to growth.

Social Harmony: Continue to oversee the Florida conflict, and hopefully see a gradual end to the individual conflict. Does not like slavery, but will not force the States to abolish it as that poses an enormous risk to national unity.

Immigration: Organize our current immigration flow, and then deal with the issue when times are less conflicted.

Mood of the people: Try to grow unity among the people of our nation, as that is a key issue of the American Progress Party.

Party Power: As John Wesley is the leader of the Party, and has maintained the Party successfully, the party is organized to make gains.

Create a VP for a different party: Governor Hickory Smith of Rhode Island for the Federalist Party

41 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

For RP note: he is now 47.

Thanks those are the infos I need hahah

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Name and position:

Residential state:

Party:

Name and position: President Elijah Morris

Residential state: Massachusetts

Party: Federalist

Platform:

Secession: I will take any step necessary to maintain our union

Florida: As much as I hate to say it Florida must be allowed to enter the union as a slave state to please the south.                                            

Immigration: Allow Irish immigration but regulate it

The Economy: End the war quickly, and counter secession to bring the economy back to growth

Trade: Find ways to stimulate trade until we return to peace

War with Mexico: Win this war quickly and soundly, try to acquire Texas and California.

Create a VP for a different party: Governor James Marcy of Alabama Republican.

14 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Name and position: President Elijah Morris

Residential state: Massachusetts

Party: Federalist

Platform:

Secession: I will take any step necessary to maintain our union

Florida: As much as I hate to say it Florida must be allowed to enter the union as a slave state to please the south.                                            

Immigration: Allow Irish immigration but regulate it

The Economy: End the war quickly, and counter secession to bring the economy back to growth

Trade: Find ways to stimulate trade until we return to peace

War with Mexico: Win this war quickly and soundly, try to acquire Texas and California.

Create a VP for a different party: Governor James Marcy of Alabama Republican.

Senator Miller quickly takes advantage on slamming the Presidents flip flop on Florida. Some believe it’s a ploy to earn headway in Florida.

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

Name and position:

Residential state:

Party:

Vice President Dallsworth announces his bid for President under the banner of the American Progress Party

New Jersey

APP

Military: Re-enforce the war effort and hope that it will begin to help our economy ramp up into a wartime mode of Northern Production and South agriculture for uniforms and possibly food. This war now must be won instead of slinked out of.

Economy: I believe that the best way to better the economy is to cut taxes. The tariff can remain as it is and we must work to rebuild Trade. After the war we need to move toward a more sustainable system of small government receipts.

Slavery/Florida/Secession: I made it a point this term to defend against abolition and personally negotiated with the Deep South to keep them from seceding. I believe that we must remove the monopoly that the Floridian government has put in place. Secession is a terrible thing and I believe that the right to own slaves should be protected in order to preserve the Union. The President has finally switched his position on Florida after my support of that course of action.

Immigration: I am happy with the state of Immigration and the Conservative approach taken by the President on this issue.

Foreign Affairs: Work to better relations with Britain as well as build up the Navy to ward off the French, we must become the dominant military power.

Expansion: I have long been a champion of the Expansionists and I am proud of that, I will push for expansion at every opportunity it is presented to me.

Sen. Williams announces he will not run and instead endorses Senator Richardson; stays in Georgia to await election results and is weary of secession though not entirely opposed

Earl is the right guy for the job. I've known him and worked with him quite a bit, I'd be happy to be his Vice President if he offered, but he is the guy that knows the South and he is the guy that can keep us together as a nation; he's the only one I trust to lead us forward as a nation standing on its traditions.

Rep. Yedver announces his bid for the United States Senate from Virginia as a Republican in 1852 after a failed bid for Vice President in 1848; he is a 5-term House Representative, former Virginia State Senator, and former Mayor of Richmond running as a Moderate Republican.

(Once again, just to remind you, when you are free, you can ping me and I can collect the position history and data for my characters so you do not have to dig for it! 😃  @Conservative Elector 2)

32 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

You need to elaborate on how you plan to do this, since it became a Free State legally, and then it went to the Supreme Court and was upheld. The only way it would become a Slave State again would be if another State Constitution occurred and the abolition of slavery in Florida was undone. Also, with no slave trade, and all would-be slaves as free people (can you enslave free people?), Southerners would have to bring slaves into Florida from other states. It's sort of a mess that Pres. Henry created or allowed that might not be easily solvable. Also, Florida is already in the Union as a Free State, it voted in the last election. 

21 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Senator Miller quickly takes advantage on slamming the Presidents flip flop on Florida. Some believe it’s a ploy to earn headway in Florida.

Morris responds to Millers accusations of flip-flopping, "You have no idea how hard it is to be president, if you honestly think you can keep america together and not divert from you're platform, you shouldn't be in any position of power in government, let alone the presidency"

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

You need to elaborate on how you plan to do this, since it became a Free State legally, and then it went to the Supreme Court and was upheld. The only way it would become a Slave State again would be if another State Constitution occurred and the abolition of slavery in Florida was undone. Also, with no slave trade, and all would-be slaves as free people (can you enslave free people?), Southerners would have to bring slaves into Florida from other states. It's sort of a mess that Pres. Henry created or allowed that might not be easily solvable. Also, Florida is already in the Union as a Free State, it voted in the last election. 

I explain that I meant that Florida should be allowed to be a slave state if the voters of said state wish it to be so and draft a new constitution.  (I honestly forgot Florida was a state, oops)

6 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Morris responds to Millers accusations of flip-flopping, "You have no idea how hard it is to be president, if you honestly think you can keep america together and not divert from you're platform, you shouldn't be in any position of power in government, let alone the presidency"

I explain that I meant that Florida should be allowed to be a slave state if the voters of said state wish it to be so and draft a new constitution.  (I honestly forgot Florida was a state, oops)

Miller is happy to have presidential attention and issues a quick response, “If you and your elitist party would have listened to us in the first place we wouldn’t be in this mess. Entering more free states than slave states would always cause an issue and it was an oversight by the government to do this in the first place. The preservation of the Union without violence is tantamount to Republicans and it seems the Federalists don’t share our concerns.” 

3 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

Miller is happy to have presidential attention and issues a quick response, “If you and your elitist party would have listened to us in the first place we wouldn’t be in this mess. Entering more free states than slave states would always cause an issue and it was an oversight by the government to do this in the first place. The preservation of the Union without violence is tantamount to Republicans and it seems the Federalists don’t share our concerns.” 

Morris: "If I didn't want to prevent secession then why would I change my position on Florida which you decided to bash, why would I sign a compromise I hated just to try to appease the south, why would I order the military in Florida to ensure violence wouldn't break out, why would I do any of this if I didn't want to keep the union together? "

Name:Raymond Marple

Position:Buisnessman from Ohio

Party:Republican

Platform:

Secession:Use military,rhetoric and diplomacy to preserve Union!Federalists and Morris are to blame for this chaos!

Florida:Allow Florida as whatever people of Florida choose to be(Slave,Free)

Immigration:Keep ban on Irish.

Trade:Lower tarrif,support free trade.

War with Mexico:Go on with the war as long as needed.Consider more expansion when situation stabilizes.

4 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

(Once again, just to remind you, when you are free, you can ping me and I can collect the position history and data for my characters so you do not have to dig for it! 😃  @Conservative Elector 2)

You can do that of course and it is great that you are willing to help. Do you have my email? If so please do me the favor and send me everything there, so O can get to it when I have some time. My inbox is a complete mess... I do not want to post my Email here, but if you do not have it already, maybe @vcczar could pass it on to you. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

You can do that of course and it is great that you are willing to help. Do you have my email? If so please do me the favor and send me everything there, so O can get to it when I have some time. My inbox is a complete mess... I do not want to post my Email here, but if you do not have it already, maybe @vcczar could pass it on to you. Thanks!

I do not believe I do, however, I can look to see in the attachment of the forum fantasy league attachments aned see if anything matches you, if not vcczar can pass it along.

8 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Sen. Williams announces he will not run and instead endorses Senator Richardson; stays in Georgia to await election results and is weary of secession though not entirely opposed

Earl is the right guy for the job. I've known him and worked with him quite a bit, I'd be happy to be his Vice President if he offered, but he is the guy that knows the South and he is the guy that can keep us together as a nation; he's the only one I trust to lead us forward as a nation standing on its traditions.

Rep. Yedver announces his bid for the United States Senate from Virginia as a Republican in 1852 after a failed bid for Vice President in 1848; he is a 5-term House Representative, former Virginia State Senator, and former Mayor of Richmond running as a Moderate Republican.

I am honored to have Senator Williams' endorsement. If he is offered my VP position, will be determined by two things. I need to become our nominee first, and the delegates must select him as VP. I would not mind it. I am open to everyone who wants to work with me to held the South within the bounds of our great Union and to improve our country all together.

OOC: I just realized that we have an unusual high amount of possible people to become President or Vice President. That is really great. If I did not make any mistakes the situation looks as follows:

Federalists:

- Morris, Hickory (VP), Smith (VP)

Republicans:

- Marple, Miller, Richardson, Marcy (VP), Williams (VP)

Progress:

- Dallsworth, Wesley, Livingston (VP)

Unsuccessful potential presidential nominees could become a VP nominee as well, which is thrilling. If @FrancisXKennedy was around us again, we could generate even more candidates.

Election of 1852

Pres. Morris announces his bid for reelection, and he is renominated without opposition, despite many in New England unenthusiastic. Hickory is named VP nominee. 

The Republicans have a highly contested convention. Three major candidates aim for the nomination. Marple, an independent moderate, is somewhat a black sheep, having run independent in the last election, costing votes for the Republicans. Miller is a compromise candidate, and Richardson is the more conservative of the three. As Conservatives are the majority of the base, Richardson is able to secure nomination on the third ballot. He lead every ballot. Williams is named VP nominee. 

The American Progress Party Convention is a rather solemn event. Dallsworth hasn't always been a Progress Party member, and is more conservative than the base, appearing more like a Republican. Wesley is seen as Henry 2.0, which makes the expansionists happy, but doesn't excite much of the rest of the convention, which wants the party to stick to new ideas, and sees the party more of a cult for Pres. Henry. The ballot lasts only two rounds, with Wesley winning. He lead in the first ballot by a large margin. Livingston is named VP nominee. 

The general election will favor the Federalists, as SC, GA, AL, and MS refused to send electors, as it will seem like they are reconciling, and they aren't willing to do that. The Progress Party has the edge in the West, and can compete in the Midwest, and South, but they have less guaranteed EVs. For instance, Federalists are the only party on the ballot in New England. 

Results of Round 1:

Morris/Hickory (Fed) 126 EVs 52% PV (New England, NY, PA, NJ, WI, MI, FL)

Wesley/Livingston (Pro) 98 EVs 38% PV  (TN, KY, MO, IL, IN, IA, OH, DE, MD)

Richardson/Williams (Rep) 29 EVs 10% PV (VA, NC, AR)

Results of Round 2:

Voter enthusiasm is about the same for both, but Wesley's is in the West, and Morris's is in the North. Morris is favored to flip states. 

Morris - Fed 149 EV 53% PV (Gains OH) 

Wesley - Pro 104 EV 47% PV (Gains all of RIchardson's states; but loses OH)

I'll post events/decisions sometime after @WVProgressive Morris gives his victory speech