270soft Forum

'Tis the Season :S

11 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

It is. You have so many holidays- Eid, Hanakuh, the Advent, Orthodox feast days, and so on- it is easier to say Happy Holidays, than name them all. Also, in a weird way christmas doesn't feel like a Christian holiday. And this is coming from a jew. Between the countless movies, tv ads, and special foods, that barely mention Christ; christmas just feels like a day where you watch old movies and drink eggnog. 

Probably because it's lost it's whole religous connotation.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/27/2017 at 8:46 AM, Sunnymentoaddict said:

It is. You have so many holidays- Eid, Hanakuh, the Advent, Orthodox feast days, and so on- it is easier to say Happy Holidays, than name them all. Also, in a weird way christmas doesn't feel like a Christian holiday. And this is coming from a jew. Between the countless movies, tv ads, and special foods, that barely mention Christ; christmas just feels like a day where you watch old movies and drink eggnog. 

Don't forget Kwanzaa, which a disturbingly high amount of (non-black) people I've talked to recently thought was a Jewish holiday

4 minutes ago, Bruce Fischer said:

Don't forget Kwanzaa, which a disturbingly high amount of (non-black) people I've talked to recently thought was a Jewish holiday

Well, notoriously poor linguistic skills among a growing number of Americans (including in American English, disturbingly, enough) means that telling apart a Hebrew and a Swahili word is a challenge for many who start with a context familiar to them. Mind, the powerful influence of Arabic, a closely-related language (relatively speaking) to Hebrew on Swahili's formative days might account for some similarity in sound, though, but no modern Hebrew (or Arabic) word is ever properly Romanized with the kind of spelling Kwanzaa has.

3 hours ago, Bruce Fischer said:

Please ask one of them who thinks that what it's celebrating and report back to me please.

3 hours ago, Bruce Fischer said:

Kwanzaa isn't a real holiday though. As Laurence Fishburne once famously remarked "Kwanzaa? I know the guy who invented Kwanzaa. Owes me fifty bucks."

11 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Kwanzaa isn't a real holiday though. As Laurence Fishburne once famously remarked "Kwanzaa? I know the guy who invented Kwanzaa. Owes me fifty bucks."

"A holiday becomes a holiday once observed in a consistent and established manner by a given community and/or for a given reason." A quote from a Harvard sociology textbook.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

"A holiday becomes a holiday once observed in a consistent and established manner by a given community and/or for a given reason." A quote from a Harvard sociology textbook.

That is all well and good but it was founded in 1966 by a guy who founded an extremist group and was used by the FBI to disrupt the black Community. He founded United Slaves to combat the Black Panthers. And was also convicted of a felony in 1971 just 5 years after founding Kwanzaa, the whole thing is a house of cards. Kwanzaa is just about as legitimate as National Cake Day.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

That is all well and good but it was founded in 1966 by a guy who founded an extremist group and was used by the FBI to disrupt the black Community. He founded United Slaves to combat the Black Panthers. And was also convicted of a felony in 1971 just 5 years after founding Kwanzaa, the whole thing is a house of cards. Kwanzaa is just about as legitimate as National Cake Day.

Well, Christmas, as we know it now, was moved by Constantine I and the first Nicene Council from mid-April to December 25 and later, at least in Western tradition, mixed with and absorbed Saturnalia and Yule traditions, but I've never seen you ignore Christmas' existence in December and wish us all a Merry Christmas in April. :P

Just now, Patine said:

Well, Christmas, as we know it now, was moved by Constantine I and the first Nicene Council from mid-April to December 25 and later, at least in Western tradition, mixed with and absorbed Saturnalia and Yule traditions, but I've never seen you ignore Christmas' existence in December and wish us all a Merry Christmas in April. :P

You must see the difference of a 2,000 year old holiday having its date changed and a 50 year old one founded by an FBI stooge convicted felon. Who just so happens to owe Laurence Fishburne 50 dollars:P

Just now, Reagan04 said:

You must see the difference of a 2,000 year old holiday having its date changed and a 50 year old one founded by an FBI stooge convicted felon. Who just so happens to owe Laurence Fishburne 50 dollars:P

I think in Kwanzaa's case, the meaning it came to take to a fair number of African-American (and later African-Canadian, Anglo-Caribbean, and Afro-British) individuals and families overweighed any dubious elements of it's founding, which actually weren't public knowledge until much later. That is also a form of trend that has been observed in sociology as well.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

I've seen Christmas decoration up in Spring here because people are too lazy to take them down.

Well, then, that would have absolutely to do with any of the points being made on this thread. I really wish @Presidentinsertname would stop trying to derail or distract debate with irrelevant and pointless diversions as though they contributed to or against arguments being made on said thread.

On 12/29/2017 at 7:23 AM, Patine said:

Well, then, that would have absolutely to do with any of the points being made on this thread. I really wish @Presidentinsertname would stop trying to derail or distract debate with irrelevant and pointless diversions as though they contributed to or against arguments being made on said thread.

What is the point of this thread? I thought it as about Christmas, in which case, @Presidentinsertname's light-hearted joke did indeed contribute to the discussion.

4 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

What is the point of this thread? I thought it as about Christmas, in which case, @Presidentinsertname's light-hearted joke did indeed contribute to the discussion.

See, the thing is, it's hard to tell sometimes whether something @Presidentinsertname posts is a light-hearted joke, a nasty barb or provocation, or a pedantic diversion, because he tends to type all three in the exact way.

2 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

well barely anyone live in canada.

41 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

About 36.3 million people living there seems like a lot to me. 

More people than in the State of California, in fact. A State no one EVER says barely anyone lives in...